ryan_d_sucks

Cobalt

Just a question about openings. Usually my openings are soft and after the reline I cannot really complain about them. However they are usually with right turn. two weeks ago friend of mine took pictures of my opening which I combined into a sequence.
From the pictures appeared that my body position wasn't 100% perfect, mostly due to the fact of close opening to the cameraman (second jump with still - congrats). But wasn't that bad and at some stage the risers are at exactly the same height/level.
Anyway from the pic can be seen that the second last line stow turns the bag by 90 degs to the right, thus the canopy opens with right turns.
what can I do to eliminate that common in my case occurrence?
surfing on the Internet I found some SB related to Wings containers indicating a modified method for line stowing (as per attached pdf).
Does anyone use that method? any opinions?
thanks
Janusz
edit:
I have 725 spectre microlines and I use small bungees for microlines and single stow.
Back to Poland... back home.

Looking at the pictures I would recommend a neutral body position on deployment, instead of having your right knee down. It appears through the rest of the sequence, that you continue load the right side of the harness.

That will correct many opening problems! Same with relaxing in the harness, keeping your hands off the risers and so forth.

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know that there was a slide to the right, but minimal...
look on the pic with canopy out - exactly 90 degs turn and risers straight and equal.
I know that I didn't make the opening with perfect position, but I was more focusing on the guy in front of me as that was his second jump with the camera.
Maybe next time I will manage to get another pictures and then I will compare them to see if I make always the same mistake.
thanks
Janusz
edit:
It was very hard for me to ignore the presence of another person in close proximity during opening.
that day the weather was bad (v strong wind) and I wanted to pull very quickly to give the guy a chance to land on the dz, but despite my effort he landed off dz.
that was what I had in my mind at the time.
Back to Poland... back home.

Bottom row of pictures, third from the left. You can see the tension in the right side line groups, in direct opposition to the left side.

I'm not saying that all opening problems are from body position, just that a significant number of skydivers have problems due to body position. It happens to skydivers much more skilled and experienced then me.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

keeping your hands off the risers and so forth.
Good luck!

I seem to remember the instructions that come with the Cobalt saying the same thing...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

keeping your hands off the risers and so forth.
Good luck!

I seem to remember the instructions that come with the Cobalt saying the same thing...

They also say that leaning in the harness will cause end cell closure on one side.

They also say that rolling the nose makes no difference, and that you should roll the snot out of the tail instead.

They absolutely said that if you even touch the risers it will turn the two stage opening into a one stage.

If I rolled the nose on mine it still slammed me, and it was off heading. just rolling the snot out of the tail would slam me, but it would be on heading.

I do believe that leaning in the harness will cause end cell closure, because I tend to lean to the right when I pull, and if it didn't slam me, the right side would have 4 cells collapsed instead of 3 like the other side.

My canopy had the lineset installed wrong from the factory. I haven't got to jump it since the reline so I don't know if it will still act the same.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.