Megatron

Racer

I can't anymore. Skydive Magazine is gone... :(
Horseshoes happens on MAIN canopy due several reasons. Broken closing loop, loose closing loop, worn out pilot chute pouch, too small pilot chute to its pouch, lack of pin check before exit and etc... This is not a container design fault.
But it was my fault no to write "I never saw one single case of reserve premature opening on Racer" :$

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

I've never jumped anything other than a Racer. I love the rig but I have one complaint. The pop-top.

On a jump from a Caravan last year I didn't stay down as I approached the door and the pop-top caught on the top edge stopping me cold. It was enough of a collission that I spent the first few seconds in freefall wondering if I'd damaged my reserve.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>You check your reserve pins on the ground and forget it. Your friends can kick
>you on the back, you can rest your back against any military aircraft seat . . .

. . . and have an out of sequence deployment of your main parachute. Racers have pretty bulletproof protection of the reserve pins, not the main pin.

>Your packer can route the main's bridle in any direction and it will not cause
>a pilot chute in tow;

No, he can't. We saw a PC in tow on a Racer after a jumper opened the container and then re-closed it without taking out the PC.

I've never jumped anything other than a Racer. I love the rig but I have one complaint. The pop-top.

On a jump from a Caravan last year I didn't stay down as I approached the door and the pop-top caught on the top edge stopping me cold. It was enough of a collission that I spent the first few seconds in freefall wondering if I'd damaged my reserve.

Ya either bought it used or ya haven't been paying attention. You order Racers for a reserve one size larger than what you use. Then when a GOOD rigger closes the reserve and seats the pop-top, it is in a depression. Get the picture. ;)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Then when a GOOD rigger closes the reserve and seats the pop-top, it is in a depression.

[soap box] It takes little effort to pack a racer correctly. It takes little know-how. IMHO they are infinity easier to pack the reserve than a Wings or G4. I'm always a bit worried about riggers that complain about packing the reserve - it's either they don't want to take the time to learn something other than what they are used to (that's a concern) or they don't want to learn something new (also a concern).
[/soap box]

Man, they should put these racer threads in SC.
=========Shaun ==========

Sorry Stitch you were just at the bottom, I didn't mean to imply that you're a Racer fanatic. Most of the Racer's I've noticed were pull outs, I just wondered if the few BOC's were a mod, or if they came that way.

I like the part of packing a Racer reserve where you dig your heel in and dance around the rig three times to make a depression. That may not be just a Racer thing, but it was fun to watch.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I like the part of packing a Racer reserve where you dig your heel in and dance around the rig three times to make a depression. That may not be just a Racer thing, but it was fun to watch.

Thats a technique but not a recommended one. :P Making the depression is not hard to do if the rigger knows to form the "ears" correctly on the pack job and fill the space up correctly in the D bag instead of just jamming it in there. The factory DVD that shows how to pack the Racer is quite helpful even for riggers who feel confident in their Racer packing technique. I've seen some riggers do some pretty creative things, like you mentioned, as well as use a tool box of tools and contraptions in the past. The DVD shows how to do it without breaking a sweat or getting mid-evil on the pack job. A call to JumpShack is all it takes to get a DVD, they are free.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There is a few more reasons to jump a Racer:
-I never saw one single case of premature opening on Racer;

I have. A few times. Many people I know have too. You've really missed out.

-You check your reserve pins on the ground and forget it. Your friends can kick you on the back, you can rest your back against any military aircraft seat or hit the top of the door at the exit (see that nice picture of a "sloppy tandem exit at Skydive Magazine #330) ;

Don't really care, I don't let people do that to me.

-Your packer can route the main's bridle in any direction and it will not cause a pilot chute in tow;

It can be done but.... you (or someone who packs for you) can actually do that with most if not all rigs. Regardless, the person who packs should have a clue not to cause a PC in tow.

-Your packer can close the main container in any order he or she thinks it's right and it will not cause a pilot chute in tow;

Same answer. It can be done but ... you (or someone who packs for you) can actually do that with most if not all rigs. Regardless, the person who packs should have a clue not to cause a PC in tow

-The only harness made from type XIII;

Who cares? Seriously? Why does this matter? If it's the claim hardware never slips, find another reason.

-The only rig on the market that you can custom order to a specific size of main and reserve canopy.

Again I don't care. I've seen plenty of good combos and you'd be surprised what a manufacturer will do if you have a sound reason.

I'm not a Racer fanatic. I just couldn't find anything better to worship.

Your post proves you are a Racer fanatic. :D
Tis ok, I don't hold that against anyone.

I can say just as many reason if not more about an Infinity but as much of a fan of infinities I am, people still buy other rigs.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

guys! stop the all violence. Its going to be a good day:)
All modern rigs including the racer work fine. All rigs are pretty much the same. The all have 3 handles, 2 parachutes etc. All have little unique features that every owner likes to exploit. All can have malfunctions just as likely as the others.

the 2 things I don't care for on a racer:
1.the 2 sided rsl (if you don't have 2 out then its not a problem and if you do have 2 out then just disconnect before chopping)
2. different look. Instead of straight sharp lines there are curves and wrinkles

What I do like about the racer is the uniqueness (yes I'm in the cult), Safety of the reserve pins, contoured shape, lack ofweight, and comfortability. As far as packing reserves... its just different. I prefer to pack racers and give discounts when packing them.

and yes you can freefly with them (see pics). Just keep an eye on that velcro.

Edit: this post if from a completely biased view and taken for whats its worth

Na' Cho' Cheese

So now we know,,,"who cares " you are really impressed with yourself and viewpoint.....aren't you ?

I don't like the BlackJack,,i heardit pinches your sack ! ;)B|

haha... if you say so :D You are right though, It does read less light hearted than intended. That came off a bit strong and could have been worded a bit more appropriately. Duly noted ;)

I don't understand your comment about the Blackjack. What did you mean?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Whether you like Racers or not, as far as service Jumpshack ROCKS!!

I am not technically there customer but Suzie knew of a rig that was a great choice for me, that One of her customers was selling. She went out of her way to help us put this deal together. I can't say enough about the service and what a pleasure everyone there was to deal with. I can't wait to jump my New To ME racer. It's just too bad that this level of service and caring is rare these days.

Suzie you ROCK!! Thank You.B|

Mike

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

The majority of professional skydivers I have known have jumped one of two kinds of rigs, Racers and free sponsored rigs.

Racers are very comfortable and are aesthetically the best looking rigs out there, IMO. They also have the best reserve pin protection in the industry.

There are only three rigs that I would pay for. Racer is one of them. Having said that, you would be hard pressed to buy a bad rig today (or from the past few years).
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!