skymama

Do you know your blood type?

The rarest AB Rh negative. All I can do is hope I'll never need blood...

actually you are almost the universal receiver. You can take blood from anyone who is O-, A-, B-, or AB-.

Us O-s are the ones who need to hope we never need blood cause we can only get blood from other O-s. :)
Fly it like you stole it!

I'm AB- also, and back when I used to donate regularly, they always gave me the VIP treatment because of my rare blood. Is that because the components (platelets, plasma, etc) are more valuable/ needed than just whole blood and are those generally more type specific? I'm directing this ? at you SkyCat because you seem to know a little about the topic!

When I was in college, the red cross used to call me when there was a shortage, pick me up at my dorm, feed me and bring me home when I was done! And once they actually told me my donation was going to help a premature baby that had just been born that day. That made me feel really good!

Now they don't want my blood or platelets because I go to Mexico almost every year!

I'm definately no expert, and a lot of the information is out there you just have to go and look for it. :)
This website will give you a lot of information and from reading it I learned a new thing. AB is the universal donor for plasma and platelets, which would answer why you are a VIP when giving blood.
http://www.utahblood.org/facts/frequently.htm

I know when babies need a blood transfusion it's a big deal and I'm sure since they are so small and delicate there best chance is with blood that matches theirs exactly.
Fly it like you stole it!

Does anyone know what happened to the Rhesus Monkeys?

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't they use them to make Rhesus Pieces out of?

Very possible. But don't you think they should label the packages as to whether they are RH -/+? You wouldn't want an RH - person eating a Rhesus Piece that's RH +.:S Or would we?:|

Chris

> The rarest AB Rh negative. All I can do is hope I'll never need blood...

You can receive from AB-, A-, B- or O-. O negative is the best donor but the worst recipient. AB positive is the best recipient but worst donor.

I'm A+, which is good for receiving but not so great for donating. I just hope they're not throwing out all that blood I donate!

They gave me a "life gift donor" card to start an account - they said I should bank up blood since I'm involved in a sport where i could need it in the event of an accident etc... Also told me they may contact me periodically if they run short in that type etc... Even said they sometimes fly people with this type to dallas and houston for donations etc... I'm in demand!!!!!! haha

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

You know, I went in to donate platelets on Tuesday, and my iron count was too low. :(

I love donating platelets. Now I have to go back later.

:D poor thing!

well, ever since i lived in london... they won't take my blood. i might have mad cow disease!!! :D:D

I'm B+, CMV-. They were always after me to donate platelets. Being CMV- made my blood safer to give to people with compromised immune systems -- premature babies, and cancer patients. It was always gratifying to know that people who really needed it would be getting my blood. But alas, I spent a semester in England and then I told them so on a questionnaire, and they turn me down now.

Pretty stupid. They need to be figuring a reliable and simple way to test for Mad Cow disease (actually vCJD) because ruling out so many donors is making it really hard on the blood supply. I was told they lost at least 1/3 of the U.S. donor base.

Also, in England, any blood for use in those 12 and under must come from outside Europe! Only donations for those over 12 can be British. This is because of the suspected "incubation" period of vCJD being 10-20 years! The British gov't. apparently was trying to guarantee a future generation, because they were scared shitless that they'd have a HUGE population of people coming down with the disease.

Well, that's what a government gets when it discovers the disease in cows, and despite not having any factual basis on which to say it, tells the public, "Never fear: this can't jump to humans." :mad:

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm AB- also, and back when I used to donate regularly, they always gave me the VIP treatment because of my rare blood. [end quote]

I never got the VIP treatment that some of you have talked about receiving, but I sure got whisked to the head of the line once, and there was a guy standing there to take the bag away as soon as it was full. Apparently there was some immediate need for AB+ at the time.

Hi Skymama,
Mine is A+. Finally found out when I joined the Navy in Dec. 1966. The first thing they do is stamp it on your dog tags.

Remember that they also put your religion on there? Where most protestants said "Prot", mine said "Prost". I thought that was far more appropriate!