knic

First Rig

welcome brand new jumper.

out of curiosity, do you feel that this question may have been asked before on this forum ? Perhaps multiple times a month ?

if so, a SEARCH function for "First Rig" would reveal pages and pages of info.

here's a link for you
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_6&search_type=AND&search_string=%22First+Rig%22

I'm sure almost everyone here will give you the same advise...

Talk to your local instructors and go with used a used rig for now. You won't regret it.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Welcome, as a somewhat still new person to the forums also, I'll just give you the hint that if you have a question try to search for similar threads before you start a thread. Some people will be nice like the guy that posted first, but some will be quite hostile and get pissed off that you are basically posting in the dark which can be very discouraging and most of us here are a lot more friendly than that. :)
Anyways, like I said I am just off student status and just bought gear. I also have to agree with buying used gear. There is no sense in buying new gear and having to wait for it to get to you, while also losing hundreds of dollars that you could have used for jumping! Many times you can sell the used gear to somebody else often for what you bought it for.

Definitely talk to your instructor about what gear they prefer, but also talk to a few other instructors and see what they think, a lot of stuff is personal preference in this sport so go out and ask a lot of people (informed people) ie. instructors what they like and what would be good in your situation.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"

>I'm a brand new jumper looking to get my first rig. Any advice on manufature
>and features?

Container: Vector 3 360-2 w/Skyhook
Main: Pilot 230
Reserve: PD218R
AAD: Cypres2

Might wanna have a rigger install some extra velcro so the reserve flap stays closed.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I'm a brand new jumper looking to get my first rig. Any advice on manufature and features?

-Knic

In an appropriate size per Brian Germain's chart. Used. Made after 1995 or so.

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

Germain's chart.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

I just bought my first rig, new. I found it rather hard to find exactly what I wanted in terms of a main fitting the containers that I could find. Even the classifieds here didn't have the "complete system" setup that would work best for me, unless I wanted to fly a 280 or 150 main.

I got to the point a few weeks ago that piecemealing my rig wasn't going to make me happy. It would take too long and what I got probably won't be what I want. Plus, any money that I spent on rental rigs is basically wasted money.

So I took the plunge, found a brand new Spectre 210 on the cheap, and ordered a Mirage G4 with a PD196 and a new Vigil. It's what I want, fits me perfectly, and I know the complete history of every piece of equipment. Plus the container will fit a main down a size, so the container and reserve will last me for a while.

And then I have the re-sale value.

Buying used became too annoying, but PM me in a year or two and I might have a used beginner's rig to sell. :P

I did the same thing as the poster above me.

Didn't want to go through the hassle of buying used. And the way I am, I try to buy everything new. If you buy a used car, you never know exactly what the driver did to the car before you bought it. I didn't want to have to worry about that buying used gear, even if a rigger did inspect it. I also had spare money and I wanted to help stimulate the economy ;)

But everyone has their own opinion and personal preference, so buying used vs new is a decision you'll have to make on your own after weighing the pros/cons. As far as what manufacturer to purchase your container/main/reserve/AAD...once again everyone has their own opinion. Look in the gear review section, helped me decide on what I wanted.

Good luck. :)

And then I have the re-sale value.

What kind of resale value do you think you have ? A realistic resale value for rig like you have will be about half of what you paid for it in 1-2 years time. Myself and many others have already been there. Everybody tries to get new jumpers to buy used gear because usually within the 1st year or two of jumping the majority of folks get bored with their 1st rig and want something. And you think, "Well I'll just sell my rig for $500-1000 less than I paid for it", because I bought all new top of the line gear. For custom general purpose skydiving gear, a new purchase is much like buying a new car. Once you pick it up, whether it has o jumps or 1000 jumps on it, you've lost half of your investment

When you go to sell the buyers will be looking for a bargain. Your resale value won't be anywhere close to what you expect, because just like yourself, the buyer will be thinking, "Hell. For $1000 more I could get all new gear wioth the colors and options I want."

Don't worry though many people including myself, have thought we neede new gear when we started out. Enjoy it.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

It's not about needing new gear. It's about the weeks and months of searching for appropriate gear - the right sized main, something that I'm comfortable with, and sized for my height and body type.

For me, it was about the time and money. How much would I pay for rental gear while I continued to search for a used rig? After how long would the price of rentals and a used rig equal the price of new gear? How much money is worth my peace of mind?

At no point did I mention how much I expected to sell my rig for. I'm quite aware that I'm not going to get 90% of the original price. But unless I put 2000 jumps on it, I'm going to get something back which will be put towards the next rig, even if it's 50% of what I paid originally.

And here's another thing I was grappling with - why would I spend $800 on an AAD that has 5 years left and then have to purchase another one when I can spend $1200 on a new model and get 12 years from it?

I totally understand the idea of buying used. Things like used AADs and lack of appropriate gear for me influenced me to buy new.

If you have to have a AAD, I wouldn't advise on buying a used one unlees it came with the rig.

You do realize the Vigil isn't water resistant, right ?
If you shop around just a little bit, you can usually find a dealer selling refurbished Argus AADs for around $800. Works on the same princible as the Vigil. Same features and component life. Plus, it's water resistant. Have you looked at any of the used gear lists from the links that "Diablopilot" listed up-thread ? Square 1 has several Spectres listed in sizes from 190-230. Sunshine Factory had a Spectre 210 last week with good lines for $895. There is a guy on here that has a Javelin J5/C19 with a Raven 3/Falcon 215 for $1300 right now. It's an older rig, but still a great deal.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

just wondering if u figured in the $600+ you most likely be spending on a packer to pack that new canopy the first 100 or so jumps?

I know that was addressed to a different poster ^

But I also bought a brand new canopy and I've packed it myself every single time and can usually pack just as fast as everyone else. It's just all about practice and finding a technique that really works.

just wondering if u figured in the $600+ you most likely be spending on a packer to pack that new canopy the first 100 or so jumps?

Why would he need a packer? Surely he can do it himself?
People always say this sort of thing when someone asks about buying new like it is a sure thing that only a paid packer can pack a new canopy.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I know that was addressed to a different poster ^

But I also bought a brand new canopy and I've packed it myself every single time and can usually pack just as fast as everyone else. It's just all about practice and finding a technique that really works.

Damn straight.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>Wow, that's pretty rare to see a very specific response to a post like that.
>Do you know him or is that just a nice safe answer for everyone?

Just a generic reply with a relatively safe rig for your average jumper. If he wants to add details of his goals/progression/exit weight etc I'm happy to refine it.

I plan on training in free flying as my discipline. Later on down the line when I improve my flight skills under canopy I want to get into swooping. I have 21 stand-up landings to date (knock on wood) under the following chutes: 1x Saber2 260, 2x Saber2 230, 5x Manta 200, 13x Silhouette 190. My exit weight is 175. I was wondering what difference between 7-cell and 9-cell canopies. Everyone always says to buy used but they don’t really go into details about rules for buying, i.e. what’s too old to buy or too many jumps, things like that. Really any tips you could share with this young jumper would be greatly appreciated.
- Knic

> I was wondering what difference between 7-cell and 9-cell canopies.

7 cell: a little more reliable, pack a little smaller (in general.)
9 cell: better glide, better performance (in general.)

> Everyone always says to buy used but they don’t really go into details about
>rules for buying, i.e. what’s too old to buy or too many jumps . . .

General rules of thumb:

20 years is too old.
Over 1000 jumps on a main, over 1500 jumps on a container or over 30 repacks on a reserve and you are getting into aging problems.

If you want to freefly, main pin protection is a biggie. Avoid simple velcro-closed containers, or overstuffed rigs with regular tuck tab or shark's tooth closures.

The Silhouette is a good canopy and will probably keep you happy for a while. From there, I'd consider going with the Pilot/Safire2/Sabre2 line.