Brains

MRI?

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw214278.asp

If you have insurance that covers your MRI 100%, then go for it. If not, you're looking at approximately $2300. Even if you have insurance, you'll be paying your annual deductable at a minimum if you take the MRI, arthroscopic surgery or physical therapy route. If the doc suggests and the pain is sharp (sounds like it is), then it is most likely a rotator cuff injury. If you have to pay for your own surgery or a 10-20% copay, it might be worth just going straight to arthroscopic surgery. Arthroscopic surgery is still the surest method of revealing what damage has taken place in such injuries.

An MRI may or may not reveal all the damage. Mine didn't a month ago when I had mine. I opted to go in for arthroscopic surgery and while scoping, the doc discovered I had a partially detached biceps tendon too. He ended up using a suture anchor for that. Additionally, he performed one of the most common procedures, a subacromial decompression.

Check out

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/arthroscopic/tabID__3376/ItemID__162/PageID__1/Articles/Default.aspx

for information on arthroscopic shoulder surgery.

My history:

I had 95% motion in my shoulder without problem. It was that 5% when I was fully extending my arm or stretching my shoulder that caused the sharp pain. I thought if I took off a couple of months from doing any physical activity, it would get better. It really didn't.

So at 2 months I went in to the see the doc. I had the x-rays first, the MRI 2nd, and the surgery 3rd. It's been 3 and a half weeks since my surgery. My scars are barely noticeable. However, I still do feel pain mainly during my sleep when I move. I have about 30% of my range of motion back to date.

I anticipate I will be hitting PT in another week and hope to have my full range of motion back by the 6-7th week. On average, strength usually comes back about 20% per month in most individuals. I'm hoping at 8 weeks from the surgery date to be back up in the sky jumping again. Each injury and person will vary slightly. I've heard of people taking anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months before they are back to their fun activities.

Anyway, I hope that helps some folks out there who are contemplating arthroscopic shoulder surgery.

Good luck!!! :)
Eric

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

Just to give you another shoulder perspective - I had my labrum repaired through arthroscopic surgery in mid-April of last year. I had very little pain, started PT about a week post-surgery, and by mid-July I was done with PT and cleared by my doctor with the caveat "of course you could always reinjure it" to which I replied "yeah, but injuring it has always been a risk, so I don't think I'll be slowing down that much." True to my word I started hanging off the struts of C182s in August and have had absolutely no trouble (knock wood) with my shoulder since. YMMV, obviously, as different types of injuries/repairs have very different rehab schedules.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good luck man...this shit sucks. Im going for mine on Monday...Doc thinks I have AC joint damage B| MRI and Xrays to determine how bad it is. [:/]
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

MRI is the initiall test of choice for you. Nothing is 100% but this is by far the best imaging for your shoulder. Any x-ray is a waste of time and money. If you must have surgery make sure that the Orthopod does a good number of shoulders as this surgery has a very good success rate but is very dependent on operator skill. Hope all is well and PT is almost always a good idea before surgery. Good luck!

Update:
Going in for an MRI in about 30 minutes. At least i will know what is up and what my options are. Wish me luck.:)

Luck, Brains!! Hope they get a good visualization of what's wrong so they can fix you up...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Update:
Going in for an MRI in about 30 minutes. At least i will know what is up and what my options are. Wish me luck.:)

Hope they don't put any computer chips in your head:P
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

hope your "metal" didn't give it problems........

:ph34r: I replaced them with Acrylics for the MRI;)

MRI was quick and painless, i can see how some people would get freaked out by it, if i opened my eyes, it felt extremely cramped. So i closed my eyes and dozed off.:D I should know when i get back from Florida what the results are.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

If the bone in your wrists that was broken was the Scaphoid it is not uncommon for the X ray to be a false negative. This is because the bone is very small and if broken it can often not be displaced. If a repeat x ray is taken ten days later the fracture can usualy be seen due to the healing process. Scaphoid fractures are important to diagnosed and keep an eye on due to the danger of Avascular necrosis of the distal fragment. MRI will show these kind of fractures and also discreate fractures of the neck of femur. MRI isn't generaly good at looking at bone though as the signal from bone is not so good. CT is better for looking at bone but involves ionising radiation which MRI doesn't.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca