Brains

MRI?

Xrays only show bones. MRI uses magnets to image the soft tissue (and bones) of the body; it takes slices of the parts of your body that it's pointed at. So, you get a bunch of pictures. They can also slice sideways or longways There are ones that you go in a tube and the other is an Open MRI. Some are better quality than others.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Thanks, so questionable bone breaks would get x-rays and possible muscle/tendon/ligament damage would get mri?

Mnealtx, mine are all stainless:P

Not always, bone breaks can be sent for an MRI also.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

What exactly does an MRI involve?

A lot of staying very still in a very small, confined (and possibly claustrophobic) space if you're going to be in the tube. Also, loud and intermittent jackhammering noises...the earplugs help, but the noise isn't completely blocked out.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Thanks, so questionable bone breaks would get x-rays and possible muscle/tendon/ligament damage would get mri?

Most likely, yeah. I've had three after an accident - one to look for damage to my femoral nerve, one of my knee (suspected ligament damage) and one of my shoulder (it identifed a torn labrum - which is a piece of cartilage).

I know some people freak out at the claustrophobic feeling of the tube, but I didn't find them to be that uncomfortable. If you end up getting one, they'll probably tell you this, but if you wear sweats or other clothes that have no metal hooks/snaps/buttons, you can probably do the MRI in those clothes and not have to change into a gown. Helps you to be more comfy! Where I did it the second two, they give you headphones and let you pick the music so you can chill out for the time you're in the tube.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mnealtx, mine are all stainless:P

Most piercings are....and they still say to take 'em out...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I got an MRI on my shoulder. The hardest part was staying still. I got the open sided one. I'm not really claustrophobic but I figured since I had the choice... It'll tell you what's wrong with your shoulder. If there is rotator cuff damage it'll show up on there.

When I went for x-rays for my wrists, they only showed one of them broken. When I went to the Orthopaedic a week later to get it set in a cast, he looked at the other one and ordered a mri based off the bruising and pain that I had. Turns out, that the other wrist has the exact same break as the first one! :S I don't know why it didn't show up on the x-ray but it did on the mri.

They didn't make me take out my belly ring and it didn't come off either. I did freak-out during the mri though. After 30 min., I couldn't take the pain of having my arms strapped down below my heart because of all the swelling and since my wrist was broken I didn't have the strength to make the panic button work. Definitely don't want to go through that again! :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What exactly does an MRI involve? What will it tell you verses an X-ray?

What'ya do now, B?

Try Texas Orthopedics in Austin - Been there many, many times myself.

MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging -

Without getting in to too much detail, an MRI can produce highly detailed 2D or 3D images of the body. By changing various parameters of the MRI you can view or display different tissue types (making one type stand out more than the other depending upon what type of problem the Doc is trying to diagnose). You might want to remove any metal objects on your person since an MRI uses a combination of very strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce the images - if you forgot to remove your dick piercing for example you might just have it removed for you, involuntarilyB|

Good luck,
Z

Action©Sports

What'ya do now, B?

:D:D

You know me too well.
Original diagnosis(without mri) was a strained rotator cuff. Been a month and i still can't do the simple exercises that the doc gave me to do without pain much less jump with my camera wings (or any jumping)>:(

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

What'ya do now, B?

:D:D

You know me too well.
Original diagnosis(without mri) was a strained rotator cuff. Been a month and i still can't do the simple exercises that the doc gave me to do without pain much less jump with my camera wings (or any jumping)>:(

You'll just have to start using your left hand for a while:D:D:D

Action©Sports

Oh, dear...as someone who's beginning her sixth month of post-op shoulder rehabilitation, I feel for you. I hope your problem can be fixed without surgery!!

When I had an MRI for my shoulder, I also had an arthrogram (basically an x-ray) done. During this procedure, the docs injected a gadolinium (slightly magnetic rare earth metal) solution into my joint to make the contrast on the MRI better, thereby making smaller tears easier to see.

Here's an example of a rotator cuff arthrogram: http://www.rctradiology.com/arthrogram.html

Also, more info on arthrograms: http://my.webmd.com/hw/sports_and_fitness/hw198411.asp

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out better than expected!

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Can get a LOT finer detail than an xray....

and you DEFINITELY want to take out any piercings.... unless you want them TORN out by the magnet... B|

I just had a MRI done on Friday. I had my ring on and my finger was tingling. Now I know why. Thanks Mike, I thought maybe I was going crazy being stuck in that little tube as long as I was.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey