kylepsu

pilot chute in tow...almost

So I recently got a new set up, G4 (M3) with a stiletto 150. Some of my favorite jumps are hop & pops. Recently, when jumping the new rig I would pitch the P/C and there will be a good delay with the P/C just dragging behind. The chute eventually opens but a little uncomfortable for my taste. I've been doing hop & pops since I started jumping and never had this problem before, was previously using a G3's. I sent the P/C back to Mirage to see if there is anything wrong with it and am waiting to hear back. Has anybody else had this issue and if so what was the cause/outcome?

Is the main container particularly tight? I know of cases of a temp-tows from low airspeeds and tight containers, although a third factor is usually a ragged out pilot chute. If that's the case, just wait a couple extra seconds before pitching out. Even a small increase in airspeed will create more snatch force on the pin when the bridle reaches full extension.

Of course if the pilot chute is crap, ya might wanna consider a new one.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Is this gear new or just new to you (used)? If the PC is not new and the kill line is made of Microline it may have shrunk reducing its drag. If you already sent the PC to Mirage you won’t be able to check it but here goes a link with some reeeeally valuable information from the inventor himself:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=132976;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Are you sure you are vigorously bringing your pilot chute to full arm extension?

A friend of mine asked the same question several years ago.

After watching him do a ground deployment once it turns out he had slipped into the habit of pulling out the pilot chute and giving it a little toss, resulting in a pilot chute in his burble.

Center line length may be a factor.
Even with the best of QC mistakes slip through the cracks on occasion.

The other replies should be examined also.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I had the same a few weeks ago.Brand new G4,hop & pop and about 2 sec delay on the PC.I guess because of my main is a bit tight(Sabre 2/MXS1/2).I will see on my next jump.I will go terminal.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

So I recently got a new set up, G4 (M3) with a stiletto 150. Some of my favorite jumps are hop & pops. Recently, when jumping the new rig I would pitch the P/C and there will be a good delay with the P/C just dragging behind.

This is one reason why I think it's a good idea to jump new stuff from altitude and pull high.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, the container is a little tight, but not so bad that my hands are bleeding trying to close it. The pilot chute is new so unless it was made a little small or not to specs that should be fine, guess i'll find out once I hear back from Mirage. Is there a big difference between F-111 and ZP pilot chutes???

Yeah, the container is a little tight, but not so bad that my hands are bleeding trying to close it. The pilot chute is new so unless it was made a little small or not to specs that should be fine, guess i'll find out once I hear back from Mirage. Is there a big difference between F-111 and ZP pilot chutes???

Yes, there is a substantial difference in the pull force between F-111 and ZP fabric. A ZP pilot chute will also last a lot longer.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I had the same experience with my G3 last summer - I'm fairly convinced it was simply caused by my tubes being to tight requireing me to reach terminal velocity before the air put enough pressure on the PC for it to get the lines free.

Was kind of scary looking over my shoulder and just seeing my PC with the bag under it - but no chute :o

Sounds like a container problem to me. Probably because it's either:
a) still new and stiff
b) a little too small for the parachute you're putting in it.

While yes, a newer or larger PC might address the issue, that's eliminating the symptoms and not curing the problem.
In the big scheme of things for this issue, maybe that's all that's important.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i had the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3TXvuwGz4

first i thought the loop was too tight, but the problem was/is a new container and a tight fitting main. Try and pull the bag out by the bridle if you have the rig on the floor or something. I could just lift my rig off the floor with the pin out, before the bag popped out!

I happens only on h&p for you?

edit to correct nonsense ;P