dtpilot

photographers overcharging

Wish I would join in the conversation sooner, who started this tyrate on the web. Did you take a minute to discuss any of this with me? NO! You told me what you were willing to pay and I decided not to accept your offer. What is burning you up at this moment is you finally realize that the shot you chose not to buy is one of those "every couple hundred jumps" shot and you would like to show it off to everyone.
I would like to add that I took dtpilots name and liscense number so I could submit the photo to PARACHUTIST, that was before the unprovoked attack. I still have a copy for sale. NO FREE 5x7 this time!

I like to stir before I cook...;)

why should I be worrying about this anyways. I jump for fun. Not for this crazy shit.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

I like to stir before I cook...;)

why should I be worrying about this anyways. I jump for fun. Not for this crazy shit.

Wonderful! Beautiful! If that is your choice then great, I support you.

It seems that this thread should die and I hate posting in it knowing that it will only be bumped to the top. This is my last post in this thread.

Good luck to you in your skydiving. I hope you get another great shot of yourself in the air since you chose not to buy this one.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Me, personally, I have NO pictures under canopy or even any good landing shots.

:ph34r::ph34r: You'd think after 600+ jumps you'd be landing good by now:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I just ran into a problem this last weekend at Skydive Dallas... I bet there are more out there with this same problem and I think it should stop.

It was the first jump of the day on the early bird load so I was excited since I havent jumped out of a large plane in so long. Well I went up to jump with a friend, had a great skydive and then time to open. Under canopy I was next to a camera man. We played under canopy and he took some pics... well we get on the ground and he says he took some pics and so on. Later he shows me the pic and it was awsome. Well I wanted it. He wanted 10 for the pic and also to pay for his ticket up... 30 bucks. FOR ONE PHOTO!! I didnt ask him to go up and take pics of me. We just were lucky to get near and get the shot. He really only had the right to charge me for the photo. Not the jump..

So what does everyone think?

I didnt see this post before..

yea. let him kiss your ass. I have a problem with charging poeple at all. I spend more money on film developing then I do in skydiving on most weekends, really!

when it comes to filming tandems and shoot stills for them I have no problem taking money for it. because I am working for the DZ. they take care of the business and I get to have all the fun!

I took hours of footage last year and hundreds of rolls of film. I created a "WALL OF FAME" and tried to get EVERYONE up there. when I got GOOD shots I made doubles and left them at the DZ so people could take them.
when I edited MY FIRST season of skydive footage on to DVD i charged $5 but I didnt keep that money I used to to buy a DVD player for the DZ.
I spent more money editing the DVD and getting the dvd's to burn properly then it was worth in my opinion. I didnt ask for any body to cover that expense. it cost me about $3 just to make a dvd. SURE People offered to pay for the DVD and I took it but I let them know what the deal was and they decided to DONATE money to me for the Cause.

so If someone catches a good pic for you and then tries to charge you $40 for it you should have the right to kick him in the balls ( or kick her in the same spot.)

ahhhh there now I feel better!:ph34r::ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

sweat deal. Thanks for the post and the support. Hopefully we run into each other one of these days. Its gotta be funn to shot vid and one of these days I hope to return what was given to me... pay it forward!!!!

We all appriciate what you do and your sacrifies to the cause of learning!!

Oh by the way, if you ever need any help or ideas with you website send me a line.

if you want visit me @

http://www.freetafly.com

or

http://www.tuknfly.com

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

I've got to say I'm a bit taken back by dtpilots recent postings. There were a number of facts omitted and assumptions made that need to be put in focus. I'm that OVERCHARGING PHOTOGRAPHER, David Smithers, that dtpilot seems so BENT over. Let me deal with the facts first.
I showed dtpilot a 5x7 photo and told him the cost was $30 for an 8 1/2 x 11. He gave me $30 and I gave him the 5x7 and said BONUS, be back in 5 with your enlargement. Upon my return dtpilot was questioning the cost for the photo. I made the mistake in explaining the costs involved, such as ticket and the like. At that point he TOLD me he was only willing to pay $10. I gave him back his $30 and kept both copies for my portfolio. I was not going to play let's make a deal. He lost nothing? I lost nothing! Everyone should be happy. My sales pitch may need some work but I was nothing but professional.
Now back to the start. Upon review of the video I can tell you that at 2300 feet while heading to the holding area, dtpilot passed me on my RIGHT side and turned under and behind me. I turned to the right to keep dtpilot in sight and snapped off a few pics until dtpilot dove under at such an angle, his head was visible over the canopy. I was just making the best out of a situation while looking for my outs. After we landed I talked with him about his flying and some of the decisions he made. I was shocked to find out that he had only 20 off student status and was unfamiliar with his gear. I would never knowing engage in CREW below 2500 feet with a novice without a complete dirt dive and safety briefing.
So what is a picture worth and what should it cost? Those are questions that have no set answer. I have 1800+ camera jumps and have been out of dozens of aircraft over the last five years. If you were to hire me for a jump out of the B-17, the cost is slot ($350) plus my fee. Helicopter, balloon, you name the aircraft, what does it cost to get a warm body on that aircraft? If that's to much than don't get video and stills. In times like this when I get an air-to-air shot the cost is $30 for an 8 1/2 x 11. Had my load been covered the price would be $20 per print or CD. That's the COST.
What is a picture WORTH? You tell me! How many skydivers had a picture of yourself under canopy, with only 46 jumps that you would call AWESOME? I have almost 2000 jumps and have only 3 of myself I would call AWESOME. How does that picture make you feel and what memories does it bring back? Is there any worth in that? I know my pictures hang on the walls of hundreds of skydivers and that's worth more to me than money but it costs money to get you THE SHOT.
How much is it worth to have a camera flyer at your DZ that has spent more than $10,000 on video equipment ready to serve you on a 20 minute call? That's right, $1000 for video and lens, $2000 for digital still with wide angle lens, $1500 worth of mounts, light, switches attached to a flat top helmet. Oh you want 35mm, that's another $500. Sorry, almost forgot the $3500 computer and printers. Add on another $1500 for the small stuff like wires, DV tapes, flash cards, extra switches, batteries and of course the CD, printer paper and ink. All so you can have a picture in hand before your packed.
The term LUCKY was used to describe our proximity when in reality it was MY 5 YEARS of jumping almost every weekend that allowed me to hone my skills enough to both avoid you and make you look AWESOME. LUCK had nothing to do with it! Oh and if you check with Uncle Sam you will find out that Professional Photographer is my occupation.
As far as you getting you own equipment, don't rush into it, you will need another 450 skydives before you will be allowed to fly it. Then you will need the air skills to both get the shot and not hurt anyone, but you don't give a rats ass about any of this, do you?
I would like to finish off answering a question posed by dtpilot. Since when did skydiving turn into a pay for all program? Since I manifested for my very first load and I've paid ever since. When you show me a DZ that allows their camera flyers to jump for free, I will show you a professional camera flyer willing to jump at a much reduced price.

then I read this!

Understood. I would have apologized to the camera guy ( you in this case) and siad I really can't afford that price. ( or I would have bought it.
this scenario presents a different light.;)
My photos

My Videos

I jump in MESQUITE. its a smaller dz but if you ever get there for some fun jumping and I am not working I will be gald to goof off with ya!

as I would with anyone. but after reading the videot response it seems you may have gotten carried away. you could have said no.
I mean I personally think $40 is too much but if it happened as he stated it didnt seem like a harsh offense as I originally thought.

I was uinder the impression that he was flying around looking for poepl to pay for his jump[:/]

either way come on out and we'll jump.;)
My photos

My Videos

I'm more than happy to jump with you this weekend. I will cover my own slot and organized the dirt dive. Don't expect to see me wearing my camera because you have already expressed your point of view very clearly. If you bring me a beer after sunset you might even find out something that now you have no clues about.
:o
What bums me up the most is that I know someone out there really wishes they had a copy of a photo that they felt was AWESOME and because both of us made errors, the line has been drawn. I don't have any ill feelings and will gladly get you a copy. I want people asking "who took that picture?" more than the cash, and a little respect for an ART that takes years to hone.

Hey want to buy some video of your girlfriend in freefall that is not zoomed in all the way ;)

Oh wait.. I think I firewired that for you:D

are you kidding me? i zoomed it all the way in because I wanted to see her crotch. now I just have to work on my aim!:D
My photos

My Videos

Well, I am no semi or professional photographer... If you think the shot is worth it , never mind how it was obtained, it's a once-in-a-lifetime image.

I will agree that the approach could have been better, but we can dismiss a skydiver's lack of photograpic decorum....

My $0.02
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

>So what does everyone think?

What's the big deal? If you think the picture is worth $40 then pay him. If not don't pay it. Your choice.

Exactly. In the words of Jonny Depp....Straight Economics Man!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

You can't please everyone all the time. It's only human nature for us to remember the ones we have pissed off, since they make the biggest stink. But I have a feeling you have touch more jumpers then you realize. Hang in there.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey