partyboy

Any Skydivers lift weights..?

I go to the gym to stay fit, period. The benefits for skydiving are only part of it.

That said, I've found that regular stretching and core strength training come in most handy for skydiving.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Honestly the gym bores me. I stay in shape by doing things. I respect people who have the dedication to go to the gym; but, it is not for me. I swim, play ball, ride the dirt bike a little, etc.

I think being in shape helps everything in life. My opinion is stick with what works for you. The key is to do something.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Honestly the gym bores me. I stay in shape by doing things. I respect people who have the dedication to go to the gym; but, it is not for me. I swim, play ball, ride the dirt bike a little, etc.

I think being in shape helps everything in life. My opinion is stick with what works for you. The key is to do something.

That's also a good point. I'm not a big fan of the gym, either, and in good weather I'd rather be out doing something outdoors to stay fit. But for those dreary days, it keeps me on track.

I lift skydivers... does that count??

I have a friend who knocks them down and drags them accross the landing area. Does it count as well?:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Yes. I originally started because of a skydiving injury to my back that was bothering me. I needed to strengthen the muscles. Now I do it as part of my lifestyle but it has helped me immensely with my endurance in regards to skydiving.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i lift regularly (everyday with weekends off) i've been doing so for the past 3 years.

i originally began because i was wayyy too skinny, but as good fortune would have it, my training helped me be prepared for the police and DEA physical tryouts that lied ahead.

i still do it becuase i enjoy the gym and having a body worth women seeing naked. :P

Definitely work out to stay fit for skydiving and marathon tunnel sessions.

One secret that I've found though is to do absolutely nothing the friday or day before your jump weekend starts. The stiffness from your last exercise session will have some effect on your performance that day.

Bill

Yup, I love lifting weights. I do it for me, not for skydiving though...however, it has really made my life as a TI much easier having a lot of strength.

Over the past 9 months or so I've been very lax going to the gym, only once every couple of weeks and my diet has been anything but clean, however, I'm getting back into the groove and getting my strength back very quickly. I am very annoyingly stuck at 300lbs on my bench right now though...maybe next week I can rebreak that platue and get back in the groove.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who goes to the gym to stay fit for Skydiving?

For somebody who has never worked out seriously with weights (most people fall into this category), weight training may be benificial for skydiving. Its not likely to cause flexibility issues for them. If they say it does, its probably all in their mind. On the other hand, after you have been working out hard for years, knowing what you're doing, as I have, it becomes anything other than benificial for skydiving. Flexibility tends to become a problem. You can stretch but continued added bulk will eventually catch up to you and get in the way of your movements. Eventually your jumpsuit and harness won't even fit. This of course is only if you continue to get bigger.
In my case I definately work out. But a more accurate statement is, I work out inspite of the fact that it hinders my skydiving.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I just started a weight lifting class at my gym yesterday! I'm so excited about it, hopefully I'll be looking a little more toned and not having such a hard time picking up tandem rigs. I'm also hoping that this will help my freeflying. I have such weak arms that when flying head down I can't have hardly any drag on my arms, otherwise I'm too weak and my arms just flap at my sides and the jump goes to shit. Hopefully this will change that.

When I joined my gym and had the personal training consultation thing, I told the lady I wanted a nice strong neck and back (my canopy at the time opened crazy)... she thought that was a really strange request.. I guess girls my age don't generally want to build up their necks.. :D

I can hardly fucking walk this morning, but it feels sooo good!!! yahhoooo!!!!!

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

You've been pulling that old pic up for a while now Dave

What do you look like NOW

You're right, that is an older pic. I basically look the same, different facial hair and haircut now, though.

I'll get Morgan to take a new double bicept pose pic sometime just for you.

In the mean time, here's a couple of low quality pics with a long sleeve shirt on.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who goes to the gym to stay fit for Skydiving?

Not just for skydiving, I lift all the time just to stay fit... period. I do need to do more cardio, but I can't find a good balance of the two. If I do too much cardio my muscle gains drop. If I don't do any, I pack on the fat but I also gain a lot of muscle.

After starting weightlifting several years ago when I had downsized I've gone through 6 cycles (weightlifting heavy, then cutting back and doing nothing but cardio) and I'm halfway through my 7th one. My abs are finally showing, yeah!!! :)