Evelyn

Kids Getting on Their Own

Yeah, I know most of you are old enough to be my kids, so I will direct this to you as well as people who have kids.
At what age do you cut the cord. My kids are 22 and 25. We've kept them on our auto ins. and paid for it until this year. We told them they had to get their own ins. They are whining and complaining that it is too expensive and they can't afford it. We pay almost $6000 in auto ins. which will go down to a couple thousand without the kids. They've both moved out and have their own apartments, so we figure it's time to pay their own ins. Are we being mean parents? Would like input. Thanks.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

:o6K in auto insurance?!

Even when I was 18 I never paid more than $150 for full coverage. Hell, at 32 I pay $87 a month for full coverage with no deductable and that includes my renters ins.:o

But, I'd say that if they're old enough to drive, they're old enough to pay ins. That's what my parents did to me when I had my own car.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Not mean at all!!! If they are moved out...then they should pay for insurance on their own.

Are they in school still? If so, then maybe I would cut them some slack. My parents paid for my insurance the whole time I was in school...through age 24. When I got my first real job, they stopped paying for anything. It was all up to me, as I think it should have been.

Do not feel guilty for making your kids be responsible for themselves. At 22 and 25 they are certainly old enough!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I can't believe you are even considering that you are being unfair! I am 24 years old, so yes, I am basically your kids age, and if I expected my mum to pay anything by way of auto insurance etc she'd laugh at me and tell me to get a better job!

I still live with my mum (bless her!) and pay minimal rent. I have it very easy, but I pay for everything for myself. Plus, if my mum told me I need to pay more rent etc, I wouldnt argue. I'm getting it easy still living with her and I know it.

Tell your kids to take some responsibility and pay their own way in the world. You don't get anything for free in life, it's time they learnt that!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Well, as long as they donc go driving around without insurance, get into trouble, and you have to pay for it...
Cut 'em off at 18 I say! 20 max. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

My folks have paided for my truck insurance through school and they're continuing to help me now through the highering process to be a cop; however, at the end of July I'm off their insurance, period. That's ok, I understand that and respect that. They've been willing to let me be on their insurance LONG since I thought was necissary, although it has really really helped me out. If tomorrow they called and said they needed me off their insurance, I would understand. I would also only have liability on my truck due to how much the insurance is. I have also maded damned sure I had a squeaky clean driving record and didn't have any claims that counted against the insurance to keep the price down as far as I could.

They also had a rule, the instant that something went on the record and hurt the insurance (speeding, at fault accident, etc) I would be either paying for it or paying for part of it (depending on the situation and what I did). That's only fair and it was that way since I was 16.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree with what everyone says about 22 and 25 being old enough to get their own insurance. But if you're not quite ready to totally cut them off you could do what my parents did while I was in college and on their policy (but I was 21 when I graduated and at that point I got my own policy). When I was on their policy in college, I paid the difference between what it would cost them to insure just themselves and their vehicles and what it cost to add me and my vehicle. Worked out pretty well for both of us - my overall cost was lower, but I did contribute to my own insurance.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree with what everyone says about 22 and 25 being old enough to get their own insurance. But if you're not quite ready to totally cut them off you could do what my parents did while I was in college and on their policy (but I was 21 when I graduated and at that point I got my own policy). When I was on their policy in college, I paid the difference between what it would cost them to insure just themselves and their vehicles and what it cost to add me and my vehicle. Worked out pretty well for both of us - my overall cost was lower, but I did contribute to my own insurance.

Ditto. My parents have said they want to help me (within reason of course) while I finish school, so they're doing stuff like that.
~skysprite

Ditto. My parents have said they want to help me (within reason of course) while I finish school, so they're doing stuff like that.

I agree this is also a good idea. You'de still be giving them access to cheaper insurance than if it was in their own names, plus you would be saving some of the $6k that you are wasting on their insurance.

Both sides win. It may not upset them so much either.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

The solution to the problem is when they are out off the way sell the house move without a forwarding address problem solved:D.

Seriously though Evelyn they have to take care off themselves. The fact they have moved out tells me they are happy to be independent. Be strong it will be best for them in the long run and give them a chance to see what its like to juggle a budget, Don't let them lay a guilt trip on you, your financial job is over. Time for the kids, :S adults stand up for themselves.:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I'm 26. my parents still pay my car insurance, but I pay everything else. The only reason they pay my insurance is that my dad's name is on the pink slip of my car, along with mine. so, if I hit someone, he could get sued, so they keep the car insurance really high, to protect themselves. They know I couldn't afford that much insurance, so they pick up the tab. I've told my dad to just take his name off the car and I'd cover the insurance myself then, but he doesn't want to.

Perhaps, instead of making your kids get their own policies, you could keep them on yours, and have them pay you, so the premiums would be lower for them than if they had their own policy.

You're evil.:)

My big sister turns 50 this year and her income is subsidised by at least 60% by my parents, who are both in their 70's.

She's never really "made it" WRT having and keeping a job, but does try to live within her means.

I think you should give them another 30 years - and then if they're not up to speed, support them fully again. We're only children for a short time in our lives, and that time should be cherished by those who made the desision to bring us into this harsh, cruel, world.:ph34r:

t
It's the year of the Pig.