GLIDEANGLE

RIGS ARE MULTIPLYING... WIFE IS UNHAPPY

Y'All:

I am a "rigger in training" (aka: "baby rigger"). I have been acquiring "retired" gear for me to practice working on. I have been doing this for a couple of months. My wife has discovered that I now have the following crowding out space in the "extra bedroom":

--My rig (airworthy and frequently used)
--One retired damaged harness/container that a local master rigger is helping me re-build.
--One retired rig with about 1,000,000 jumps with a reserve.
--One retired rig with main lift web damage with reserve.
--A couple of retired pilot chutes and bridles.
(Two of these rigs go back to the "rigger training gear pool" when I am done with them).

--Of course, there is the Singer 241-12 too.

--Is it normal to acquire an ever growing pile of gear?
--How do I stop?... I feel like a gear addict.
--Can I expect this to get worse?
--What do YOU have lurking in your rigging closet?

;););)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

As long as say 75% of that stuff was free I don't see why it would be a problem.

On the other hand if you were accquiring an airworthy rig, say every other quarter, and she was bitching. I'd say ditch the bitch.

There are more important things in life than a wife.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

You didn't ask about STUFF in your other post.:D:D

I have 3 airworthy 'modern' rigs, my wife has one, if I sell one tomorrow. And I have at least 6 other ramair canpies, my old ParaCommander rig, another ParaCommander rig, 5 round canopies, a seat rig, a couple of other old harnesses, hmmm, and that's all I can think of. Oh, two or three chest reserves (but still need a chest sport container).

Also I have a 7 class, two zig zags, a 31-15, a double needle, two 111 class and two home machines. Oh and a bar tacker I'm overhauling. Two of these are on 3x5' tables. I have one metal two door cabinet that only holds the 'current' airworthy rigs.

None of this includes old pilot chutes, risers, toggles, d bags, flags, jumpsuits, altimeters, gloves, lights, cameras, helmets, hackey handles, old lines, hardware, etc, etc.

But, I will NEVER have a house like Dave DeWolf's that is filled from basement third story attic with hundreds of canopies, containers, dozen's of sewing machines, and every old piece of crap (read treasure) you can think of. I was in awe went I visited for my master ticket. And I want a house just like that.:)

Yes it will only get worse. Especially when you have 5 or 6 rigs waiting for work.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes it will only get worse.

That is exactly what I figured. Gee, I thougth that jumping out of perfectly good airplanes was addicting enough... this is possibly worse (there is more physical evidence of my addiction).

Thanks for your reply.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

We have:

My Mirage and Reflex, Amy's two Talons as primary rigs
Jerry's old Talon
An old Vector
My old Racer
Amy's old Javelin
A very old Talon
3 or 4 reserves
A Pilot 150, Pilot 140 (blown up currently) a Sabre 150 (blown up) A Silhouette 170, a Silhouette 150, a Nova 150, a Jedei 136 (unjumpable) two rounds of indeterminate vintage and a Falcon 170. Also a Nitro 108, Crossfire2 109, Safire 129, Safire2 119 that move between the various 'main' rigs.

the Fury Javelins (4-5 at any given time)
Other customer rigs (say 6 at any given time)

I have never understood the jumpers that have one rig and all their shit fits in one gear bag.

Since I started jumping full time 29 years ago I have only had one airworthy rig for about 1 year.

BTW I just remember a few more harnesses, containers, and canopies stashed away.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have never understood the jumpers that have one rig and all their shit fits in one gear bag.

That's me, that's me :D and I cannot have any more than that or it would never fit my small apt.
Okay, one more rig would be cool, but I don't think I would ever want to hold on too much stuff if I wasn't using it constantly. But, I'm not a rigger also :D

Since I started jumping full time 29 years ago I have only had one airworthy rig for about 1 year.

BTW I just remember a few more harnesses, containers, and canopies stashed away.:)

wow- i only have one rig. (that is so old i probably shouldn't jump, and no AAD) But i am broke, so does that make it okay? lol.
-Eddie B (feel free to message)
www.facebook.com/eddie.d.bryant

Stick around! You'll have half a room full of unjumpable crap in no time.

Was just wondering about the scariest rig I could put together. It would have to be legal, of course. How about:

the old Racer (before the Racer Elite even)
the Nova 150
the original Swift (5 cell, flyaway brake lines)

Would be perfect for a jump into, say, salt water.

So anyone want to buy a rig?

Hi Terry,

Especially when you have 5 or 6 rigs waiting for work.

At the height of the acid mesh problem ( I was the 2nd person to get FAA approval of an Alternate Means of Compliance { Manley Butler was the first } ) I actually, at one time, had 75 rigs in my basement waiting for me to get to them.

It became a nightmare keeping track of everything. I had to take a day just to set up a system for tracking them. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

PS) These days I am finally cleaning out the closets and getting rid of things. :o

Oooh! Nice gear collections everyone :)

I've got:
Three airworthy sport containers: Javelin, Mirage, and Vortex II
Two PD113's
One Micro Raven -109
JVX 80
Velo 96
Velo 75
VX 69

Two Airworthy Tandem Rigs:
Micro Sigma & a Sigma 340
Vector & EZ384

Odds and Ends:
Vertex II and a fLik 220
Reactor 3 and a FOX 225
Two Phantom 24'ers
Unairworthy tandem harness
Unairworthy Pegasus
20U Zigzag
Misc. risers, PC's, etc...

It's kinda scary to think about what all that stuff is worth and how SOL I'd be if the house burned down or they were stolen... :(

Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

-Is it normal to acquire an ever growing pile of gear?

I still have every rig I've ever owned...when I'm through jumpin' 'em...they're done! ;)

Must be made outta parapak. :D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I can beat your racer with a PROTOTYPE Super Swooper Tandem, SST. No you youngsters it's not the tandem you know. It from when tandem ment your reserve was on your back, not your instructor.

From the world team in 74 or 75.

24' unmodified T-10

StratoCloud or Cirrus Cloud, take your pick. I liked my Cirrus Cloud.

Okay the main's not so scary.:P

I jumped this rig for a couple of years with a crossbow round reserve. And had one 1400' reserve total.

That racer may only have two risers. Couldn't put the Swift on it.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

any bitchin between you two if under 10years of marriage? then neither one of yaz rate that! If one goes from one addiction to another and another and another and OR has 3-4 addictions at a time but ONLY after ten+years of marriage, then it is time to slow down a wee bit! Just a bit! the main thAng is that one does NOT want the addication to get in the way of monthly or quarterly resposibilities!!!

I have been through 8 MAJOR addictions since 1984 and only one of them (maybe two) came this >

After ten years of the Holy matramony we knew how to argue to where it didnt hurt so bad...

Almost 21 yrs of marriage and 26 years of being together, we are this >
GOD BLESS!GOOD LUCK!GOD SPEED...peace and foreFUCKINGever BLUESKIES!!! :P;)