Dan1

Hybrid Canopy Question

No problem, enjoy your new canopy!

Remember to go through other important drills with your new canopy. Drills like the 9-flares, stalls and flat turns. If you don't have a local canopy mentor, then check the sticky in the Swooping forum. You're close enough to hook up with serious canopy teaching talent around the Georgia and Florida area!

Awesome, I'll take a look at the sticky you mentioned. I'm actually moving down to the Tampa area in a couple months, so I'll be jumping at z-hills from then on, so I'm imagining I'll be able to get top-notch coaching on whatever discipline I want coaching on :)
Also, to get back more on topic, roughly how many jumps would need to be made on a hybrid for you to start noticing a degrading change in the handling characteristics?

Awesome, I'll take a look at the sticky you mentioned. I'm actually moving down to the Tampa area in a couple months, so I'll be jumping at z-hills from then on

In that part of Florida you pretty much have to toss a rock in any direction and you'll hit a qualified canopy mentor/coach!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>I feel kind of dumb for asking the question since I own a hybrid
> canopy (Silhouette) but am not sure of the answer . . .

We have Silhouette 150 and 170's with upwards of 1000 jumps on both of them, and have not noticed any more degradation in performance than in our similar ZP canopies (i.e. a Sabre 150 with 2000+ jumps on it, and a Pilot 140 with 1500 jumps on it that was used until it blew a seam.)

In addition, some hybrids use ZP on topskin only and some have it on ribs only.

I used to own a silouette and I loved it when it was new but after about 300 or so jumps it just did not seem to have any flare left in it. Nothing scientific just my personal observation. The landings got consistently worse over time so I got rid of it. Your milage may vary....

They might be easier to pack but I still think 100% ZP is the way to go.

Onward and Upward!