billvon

Bill's Prediction #27

Within fifteen years, your car will be running on a descendent of this: (see attachement)

That's an ultracapacitor pack. The one shown stores enough power to let a car cruise at 55mph for one second. It's under a pound. Build a big battery pack out of it today and you'd get a 5 mile range. No limit on acceleration or charge times, other than the limitations of the motors and the charging equipment. It could be recharged in 10 seconds with enough power available. It would make a great electric dragster; nothing could match it off the line.

Wait ten years and that will be better by another order of magnitude. Now you have a 50 mile range (or infinite range if this just replaces the battery pack of a hybrid) and they never wear out. If it's a pure electric it can be recharged in less time than it takes to fill a car with gas.

Anyway, that's today's prediction.

I've been thinking more and more about a hybrid for my next car. My wife would like me to get a pickemup truck, but I cannot see doing enough hauling to justify it yet.

I guess my question is this - if it would take ten seconds to charge it, what sort of charger would it need. If I had a hybrid, and electric was supplied by this capacitor, would it take three hours to charge it off the the power generated by the car motor?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That's cool.

Can't remember the capacitance, but a couple friends of mine in college made a rail gun using a giant capacitor (3 feet tall or so, couple hundred pounds including the oil inside as the insulator). Ended up doing nothing but welding the projectile to the rail when they tried firing it. But they'd have had a lot of fun with a few of these things.

Dave

Engineers may not be the life of the party, and most of them can't hold their liquor, but they try out the best shit!!

You didnt go to the same school I did... The Engineering school was the second biggest customer of Labatts after the Olypic Stadium! :D
Remster

So... you're saying get my Harley now before the Armageddon comes to be?

K.

Mine gets 50 mpg on the road, which is good for my 45 mile commute. I bet billvon's car can almost beat it....lol. BUT considering that I've put about 2000miles on it in the past 3 weeks or so, I don't guess I'm REALLY being particularly consumption conscious. :S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

If you really want to see it developed fast, make a neato less than lethal weapon out of it.

In the meantime, the huge tax break for 6000 pound vehicles for small business owners should accellerate the price of gas fast enough to fund pretty quick development.

:) Hey, what can I say? Studying some of those "liberal arts" required liberal application of alcohol. And don't feel bad Dave, there wasn't a crim or engr student who could hold a candle to me back then.

Good thing too- might've been dangerous what with all the flammable liquids
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

As an anthropologist...I found it necessary to experience all facets of college culture including...alcohol...:ph34r:...I had fun...B|...Got several nicknames, a reputation...;)...And now...I hardly drink at all...:D...Boy how things change...

(But I'll bet back in the day sweetie, I could drink you under a table...and on top...to the side...:D:D:D...)

~R+R:P...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

(But I'll bet back in the day sweetie, I could drink you under a table...and on top...to the side...:D:D:D...)

~R+R:P...

and apparently you still suffer delusions...
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*