rhino

Over 16 hours so far.. Ghillie Suit...

I've worked a total of 16 hours so far..

Got the cargo pockets off of the bdu pants. cut a pad for the front of both legs.. Placed cut up sea bag over pads,, shoe goo's together.. Cut and shoo goo'd the netting for the jute on the back of the bdu pants.. Got about 1/15 of the juts put on the pants so far..

This will take well over 100 hours before I am done.. Pretty amazing shit actually..

Take a look..

Rhino

It is a shitload of work.. Couple hours a day I'll be done in 3 weeks.. Then it has to be rebuilt after every stalk..

When I am done I throw it outside.. Let the weather and rain get on it so it kinks up nice and good..

It is a shitload of work.. Couple hours a day I'll be done in 3 weeks.. Then it has to be rebuilt after every stalk..

When I am done I throw it outside.. Let the weather and rain get on it so it kinks up nice and good..

\

Why are they produced individually?
Just so that you know how to do it so you can do it when you are out in the field? Pretty amazing stuff, I didn't know this. Good work bro

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

i know a sniper who was in the 25th id and he said that they had a detail that did nothing all day but put them together. it was like any other detail, like kp or guard duty. looking good man, good luck in the course. i also heard something about why they have guys put nametags on the back pocket of bdu pants, but that's a different story.

nice nice work... alot better than alot I have seen.

Some I have seen are just BDU's with old strips of BDU's sewn on... still effective though...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I envy you, sir. I wish I had it in me to be a sniper for the military, you guys are amazing.

I appreciate it.. I'm training with the platoon. Of the 11 Marines ONLY 2 are school trained snipers. That is how hard that school is to get and pass. Attrition rate is 36%..

Some advice...

Under no circumstances get drunk one weekend, then decide on Sunday night, once its dark, that you forgot to roll around in the mud in your Gilly suit, to add that 'natural' finish.

Then don't go outside and find some mud (next to a building site) and roll around in it.

Don't wake up in the morning with a hangover and a 5 hour stalk to do, with a nearly white suit, because like a dumbass, you rolled into cement dust contaminated mud in the dark.

Don't do that. That would be stupid.:|

Lee

PS. If you do find yourself in this situation, get someone to hose you down with garden hose, roll in some brown mud and do the stalk with a wet suit weighing 20lbs more than normal.:|:| (and still pass!;) )
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Good luck and thanks from all of us civilians.

Let's see...after service, you could add some grippers and go RW....no, wait...noone would be able to see you...:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Let's see...after service, you could add some grippers and go RW....no, wait...noone would be able to see you...:D

That's a great idea. Freefall in a ghillie suit. You'd probably lose some fringe. It would make a good picture, though. B|

That's a great idea. Freefall in a ghillie suit. You'd probably lose some fringe. It would make a good picture, though. B|

ROFLAO!!!!!!!!:D:D:D Wouldn't it resemble Big Foot in freefall!?:o LoL...do it...:D...

~R+R:)...Then post the pics...B|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

i never went to sniper school or anything but we did have a sniper team with my unit. Plus one onf the guys that talked me into joining the Marines was a scout Sniper. He showed me how to make a ghillie suit once pretty neat shit

Look what i made at work today mom!! Put it on the fridge
http://www.bouda.moonfruit.com

Rihno,

For my suits I always used a gutted filed jacket wit hthe hood sewn to the soldiers and the matching field pants.

The initial suit is heavier but in the end I did not have to reinforce the knees and elbows and that made it lighter but just as strong.

I also preferdthe hood as I tend not to like the bonnie cap all camoed out and catching on things in an upright stalk.

I look for the old olive green jackets and pants so I can adapt them to what ever dominant color is in the environment.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Looks good! My GS took me about a week to finish, but I was lazy with it. Eventually (or maybe by now) you'll develop callouses on the first joint of your index finger... fun stuff.

I added spandex type loops to it later to secure vegitiation... and that got me thinking... what's the jute for in the first place? and why so much? Why not just sew on a whole pile of elastic loops and stuff grass? I do recall coming across such a setup once on eBay I think... but it dosen't seem popular.

For reference, the spandex I used is the elastic waistband stuff, picked up at a crafts store ad then dyed greenish-brown. Works surprizingly well.

I have a pic around somewhere I may post later...

Good Luck with finishing it!!

Army sniper course 5-99. We used the netting in a similar fashion and then added gutted 550 chord in different areas so we could tie down natural vegetation. The Ghillie Suit is only a "base of camoflage" to which you add natural vegetation once you are in your staging/preparation area before heading to engage the target. I used a gerber to help push and pull the large needles through the tough BDU material to make it easier on your fingers. We sewed every couple inches and then put shoe goo on top of each stitch so friction would not wear them away. I've had and used my original suit for the past 6 years and it's fine to use still. Make it right the first time and you're good for a long time. Matt