skydiverbry

Bogey Reserves

Has anyone seen a Bogey 178 with red center lines.Why would this canopy have them?Used in CRW as a main?I looked in Poynter's manual and found no mention of this
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Ok,thanks. Now what specifics can you tell me makes a reserve a reserve??
I know a reserve can be used as a main but not vice versa

Government Technical Standard Orders require reserves (and pilot emergency parachutes) to be drop-tested exhaustively and all those tests have to be carefully documented.
TSO set tight standards for opening time, opening distance, rate-of-descent, etc. which results in reserves being similar with seven cells, F-111 fabric, boring old types of suspension lines (Dacron or Spectra), medium aspect ratios (2.2 to 1), fast openings and short turf-surfs.
The current TSO-C23D requires more than 60 drop tests before a reserve can be certified by the (US gov't) Federal Aviation Administration. Drop-testing usually starts with rubber dummies for the heavy-weight and high-speed phase. Once they have proven that reserve canopies will survive hard openings, they are tested at low air speeds and at least a few test drops have to be done with humans. If RSLs or AADs are installed, they also have to be tested at a variety of weights and airspeeds.
Then the reserve must be manufactured in FAA-approved facilities with a long paper trail to confirm that production items match the test item.

On the other hand, you can jump a bed sheet as a main canopy.