piercewhat

Stuck doing tandem progression

So my DZ is still looking for another AFF master. I don't want to wait the 2 weeks for when he is supposed to arrive to finish my AFF 2. So I did another tandem lastnight and it was at sunset. I tracked for the first time and it was amazing. I am sure more and more I will experience more and more up there but that is the most amazing thing I have done.

Not sure if your DZ offers Static-line or IAD, but one of the things you can do if you've gone thru the FJC is to transition to S/L - IAD. This would allow you to satisfy 2 of the 3 conditions for Category F.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Dude, trust me, you're not stuck doing anything. The tandem progression will help you learn. Generally speaking the students I see do tandem progression tend to have less repeat dives in AFF and tend to learn MUCH faster. They are also a lot better canopy pilots sooner then traditional AFF or SL students.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just wanting to dive alone makes it seem so far away. I know it is only another week before I jump without anyone on my back. I am glad to do the tandems in that it gives me a better chance to get a better idea of canopy control and the holding area. Excitment is just trying to get the better of me when I know that it is one step at a time.

I agree, I'm a fan of the tandem / instructor assisted freefall progression. I've seen a much lower repeat rate for the IAF jumps and better initial canopy control skills from tandem progression students than from standard AFF students. I attribute this to the fact that they've already had some freefall instruction on body position and they get a number of jumps with one on one canopy instruction with the tandem instructor.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry