andyhughes

Aerodyne soft links

Hi Andy,

I guessed them correctly without reading further than your OP. The length is the giveaway; the reserve links need to be longer to go around the wider webbing.

At one time they were using different colored thread in them for the differentiation.

What is that? Oh yea, . . . . . RTFM, >:(

JerryBaumchen

PS) Thanks for the little quiz; always nice to get the brain exercised a little. B|

Looks like it was too easy a question having the measurements of the links when dissconnected ;)... It would have been too evil to post the photo with them hooked up though. God only knows why Aerodyne made reserve and main links look identical - a real pain the arse having to dissconnect and measure to be sure the correct links are on the reserve.

:)
The Aerodyne Reserve Soft Links are in 3 versions:

1st edition - with SS rings, 163 mm long from top of ring to end of loop with silver bartacks.

2nd edition - with Cadmium rings, 159 mm long & the finger trap marks were Red & silver bartacks.

3rd edition - with SS rings, 159 mm long with RED bartacks.

In total there are 3 versions on the market.

Cheers !!!

I've read that PD's slinks are not recommended for type 8 risers. Are there reserve slinks longer also? If a person has type 8 risers and wants soft links of some type, would it be ok to use reserve soft links on the main type 8 risers? Seems like it would be to me but I've always had metal links.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

That's good too see in the attachment. I want to use slinks but when researching for my new gear read the sm-1 (standard) weren't recommended. I will be using type 8 risers with large rings due to my size so I'll be ordering the tandem/reserve slinks for my main and reserve.

Thanks Sparky.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Pulled up this thread doing a search looking for a relevant thread.

Washing a rig for someone and had to take the reserve of the risers. When I pulled out the soft links I found a bunch of black grime on the metal rings from what appears like melted black junk from the super tack. I couldn't find any evidence of it melting onto any of the reserve line, but it's all over the metal ring, a little on the soft link line, and on the inside of the reserve riser.

Does anyone think there is any cause for concern over this? I can't think of any reason why there would be since I assume it's just black wax I should be able to just clean off the metal and reuse. I figured it was best to ask before I make assumptions. Can't help but worry there is some far off chance that all that melted waxy stuff may weaken the soft link or something. Thoughts? Maybe someone used some really cheap crappy super tack? I haven't seen this stuff get that melty and all over the place before.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook