PsychoBob

Flora-Bama being leveled

I was out at the Flora-bama Bar tonight, home of a gazillion beach jumps, for a farewell party because it is being torn down. [:/] The main structure apparently is unstable after being wrecked by Hurricane Ivan and cannot be repaired.The Flora-Bama is an institution here because it is located right on the Alabama-Florida line. Everything from Bikers to Cowboys, Yuppies, Gays, Straights, beach bums, hippies, skydivers, scuba divers, muff divers and sausage smokers could be found there along with singers like Jimmy Buffett and David Allen Coe.

They are hosting their annual "mullet toss" this weekend (a mullet is a fish about a foot long and you throw it from one state to the other) and then the demolition will begin. Word has it they are going to rebuild it on the same spot and it should be complete in a couple of years but it will never be the same. There will be tandems tomorrow and Sunday as well as fun jumps to the bar. Damn I'm gonna miss that rundown, nasty-ass, wonderful place.
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Timber told me about this yesterday[:/]. I have so many memories at Flora-Bama. That was our hangout every weekend for so many years. Although they say it'll be rebuilt in a few years, that's prime property for another skyscraper to fill and as you know, if the price is right, they'll sell.

Wish I could be there for the Mullet Toss this weekend. Have fun. Hugs to all Emerald Coast skydivers and a speedy recovery to Tony.

Do they still give jumper who jump the beach free beer? We used to get pitcher, after pitcher of free beer, then go around and make total asshats of ourselves. It was a lot of fun:)

Yep...they treat jumpers like rockstars and give ya free beer AND a trashbag to put your canopy in:D

Wow, that is sad. I made my first skydive into the Florabama on a Sunset Tandem with Rick "In" Payne and my little sister. Many fond memories there...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

***skydive into the Florabama on a Sunset Tandem with Rick "In" Payne

I jumped with Rick this morning. He's still smiling and jumping. One hell of a guy.

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"