ffp1974

cypres AAD

I wonder why they don't rework them or something along those lines for like half the price of a new unit.

because they want you to buy a new one ;)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

:)
There is a reason for the 12 years life service, there are also very good reasons for the 4 & 8 years service.

Nothing last for ever & at some points moving on with an old unit it will cost you more.

If you take the cost for 12 years, I would say it looks logic.

Cypres 2 have the batteries included in the 4 & 8 years service.

Be Safe !!!

>I wonder why they don't rework them or something along those lines for
>like half the price of a new unit.

Because they don't want to try to guarantee that parts like electrolytic capacitors will work for 24 straight years. Having a mandatory retirement age for a device ensures that nothing older than X years remains in service - thus allowing the manufacturer to maintain better control over the system.

To me it's like a reserve. Sure, it might be legal to repack that 25 year old Micro Raven or original Swift. But most people don't know how to land overloaded F111 canopies any more, and most jumpers will be a lot safer with a newer reserve.