charly

downsizing

i've had a mixed opinion at my dz about my rig so i thought i'd see what others thoughts are

i have a brand new mirrage g4 with a pilot 188. the pilot is very tight inside the container and takes some effort to close. i know a 170 will fit in it. BUT is that as small as it will take. what do you think is the smallest canopy before a new container is needed?

would i have to change my deployment bag?

Deployment bag is matched to the container, it stays the same. Smaller canopies, to a limit, will expand to fill the volume in the dbag.

I won't touch the smallest size though, I don't have a G4, and even if I did I would want to see the canopy in the rig and the tension on the closing loop before giving you my opinion! :|:ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It isn't a function of only square feet. 7 cells pack smaller than 9 cells of the same area. F-111 type canopies pack smaller than zp canopies. CRW canopies pack bigger because of extra reenforcing. Dacron lines pack larger than microline. And on and on. Your rig can be too tight, causing a hard pull that results in a PC in tow for a handdeploy PC - and too loose making it hard to get tension on the loop and causing the pin to 'fall' out.

Also, each container can vary in it's volume plus or minus 10% (same model same size) and each canopy can vary plus or minus 10% in it's volume. So a 'small' sample of a particular canopy in a 'large' version of a particular container may fit but another seemingly identical set may not. That's why riggers HATE customers that try to push the reserve to the very limit in size that fits. >:(

And what you think of as tight may be normal. I've had to use two feet and a wooden handle on the pull to close a container before.

So, NOBODY can answer your question until you TRY the canopies your interested in in your container. You can PROBABLY go two sizes smaller than a very tight canopy of the SAME model. Maybe.:|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE