SkydiveNFlorida

Choosing a University for Undergrad: What is important

In choosing a school for undergrad studies, what is more important to you?

I am still waiting to hear from Berkeley which is a prestigious school with an excellent Chemical Engineering department. But, if I don't get into Berkeley, I need to chose from the schools I did get into (which are also good.)

I'm leaving the state. So, counting tuition as equal, what do you feel are the most important things? I'm allowing multiple answers, but try to pick only one or two of the choices as being most important.

Thanks!
Angela

Make sure you college has a good social scene....Networking is the most important thing you will ever do in college....all the book reading and test taking is second....

edited to say: both Berkeley and UT Austin are great schools by the way!!!
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Good luck with it all. If you applied to Berkeley, you must have some smarts girlie :)

Thanks, Paige. I will let you all know when I decide for sure:)

Thanks also for your vote!

-A

** just so we're all on the same page, tho, all of the schools I applied to have accredited departments by AICHE, just some are ranked higher than others according to US News, a valuable ranking system to the best of my knowledge.

Besides Berkely, what other schools are you interested in/been accepted to?:)

~R+R:)...

I've been accepted to:

1. Rose-Hulman in Indiana (not going, too cold and rural)
2. Georgia Institute of Technology
3. UCLA

I'm waiting on:
Berkeley
UT Austin

thx:)
-A

ROFLAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D I'm only going to Purdue...and Rose-Hulman isn't as rural as you might think...I have had several engineering buddies go to school there...of course they ended up at Purdue for various reasons...like research...:ph34r:...

I've heard good things about Georgia Tech and UCLA speaks for itself...

I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well with the move!B|

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Make sure you college has a good social scene....Networking is the most important thing you will ever do in college....all the book reading and test taking is second....

I agree, but unfortunately I can't be sure which are the best for that because I don't know anyone at any of the schools:(

-A

Well, you're a braver soul than I! Hell, I get cold on the ride to altitude in South Florida:P.

I am looking between GA Tech and UCLA right now. UCLA's department hasn't been around as long and is ranked 22 by US News I think. Georgia Tech is ranked a little higher, but looking at them both somehow UCLA seems more appealing. I like the focus of their research, and I would think they would have better research but who knows.

I know UT Austin is supposed to have an excellent program, too, and i'm still waiting on them. But, I wonder if it is more petro chemical based, where UCLA is focused with energy and nanotech which is cool:)

-A

For undergrad you should look at the flexibility they allow you, the quality of the undergraduate advising, and, yes, the networking.

what you declare as your major entering often is not what your major is at the end. This is normal, and, frankly, good in most cases. Unless you're an older student, of course.

So, a program that lets you explore some, and that has sensible prerequisites so that you don't lose a whole lot if you change majors, and that has advisers who can help you to stack your courses and anticipate so that you don't end up having to do one more semester because you're missing one class -- that's a good school.

I interview new hires (well, when we were hiring I did). What school they went to is a small piece of a hiring decision -- it's a much bigger piece of your college experience.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey, Angela! I think prestige of the school is probably one of the most important factors. The name can open doors or at least get your CV looked at a little more closely. But, I think it also depends on what your goals are for a career and what factors are most important to you. Of course, but you knew that.

I'm achieving my career goal even with a relatively unknown undergrad college and so, for me, it all worked out in the end. Good grades will take you far. A good CV takes you further. But, it doesn't hurt to be a graduate of a well known program. Some programs just demand respect.

You've got a nice list of choices to consider, congratulations! :)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Then I'd still say it depends, but a whole lot less. Those are mostly name schools, so you have the "general" recognition.

If you want to go straight to work, then general recognition and department recognition are probably important. If you want to go to grad school, then head more for the research. And, well, again based on my hiring experience (such as it is), make sure that even if you go somewhere that's challenging (a good thing), it's not so challenging that your GPA drops too much. A 1/2 GPA drop from a 3.5 to a 3 is probably OK. A full point would need some serious explaining. Not that it's impossible, but it would take explaining, and someone willing to listen.

In the networking area, see if you can look at an alumni directory, and see where the graduates in that department ended up -- if they're in the kinds of jobs that you're interested in, then they might be in a hiring or at least contribute-to-decision position.

Wendy W.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks for the info, Wendy. I tried looking at UCLA Alumni, but I can't see to find what you're saying to look for (but maybe i'm not looking hard enough!). I'll try again next week if I don't get into Berkeley.

I'm going to work my hardest to keep a good GPA, while actually learning the material. ChE is a rigorous program (as i'm sure you know) and I think they wipe my GPA clean (currently it is 3.73) before I get there:(

As far as ultimate goals, i'm pretty sure I want to go to grad school, but I want to leave my options open.

Thanks!!
-A

CV is curriculum vitae. It's like a resume, but a longer more thorough summary of your educational and professional experience.

Wendy has some great advice! :)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

To quote some German dude:

"Education is what you get when you forget everything you've learned in school".

What's most important is what you do with the "schooling" you receive. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard ? Sam Walton never made it.... 80% of US graduates work on a career path different from their Bachelors degree.....

My $1.00 - 0.98 !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Where do you intend to live afterwards? In terms of networking, if you come back to Florida, GTech might be more useful than Cal or UCLA. Here, I don't think many of us know anything beyond sporting aspects of Georgia schools.

Oh...if you do go to Berkeley, don't tell them you don't believe in voting. The political evangalists will push aside the missionary types and come to save you.

i would consider PRESTIGE OF THE COLLEGE (AS A WHOLE). when a potential employer quickly glances @ your resume/application, or when a connection overhears your college, the name should jump out at them -- that may be your lucky break! if they have to ask ("what school again?") or look into the school's merit, i bet they'd view that more as a setback (rather than a positive) ....

good luck!
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

i would consider PRESTIGE OF THE COLLEGE (AS A WHOLE).

Not necessarily...some school, like Purdue, are well known for awesome programs...and if you say what program you were in and the school...well, that might get noticed...employers are looking for more than a name...My dad has told me horror stories of newbie engineer graduates who he had to literally pull aside and teach them what they needed to know...and these were grads of Rose-Hulman/Purdue/etc. These days, name might getcha noticed but not the job...Just my $0.02...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Where do you intend to live afterwards? In terms of networking, if you come back to Florida, GTech might be more useful than Cal or UCLA. Here, I don't think many of us know anything beyond sporting aspects of Georgia schools.

I don't know where I plan to live ultimately, it might not even be in the US. No plans yet either way, but I would like to go to a school that is recognized as good regardless of where I go.

Oh...if you do go to Berkeley, don't tell them you don't believe in voting. The political evangalists will push aside the missionary types and come to save you.

LOL!! I'll try to keep quiet so I don't have to smack down some political recruiters. Unfortunately, tho, in order to claim residency the second year, i'll have to ... dun dun dun.. VOTE! :o:P

-A

Generally, the prestige of the school is all that matters. There are some companies that will not look at you unless you went to certain schools. Similarly, doors are opened wider because of a school and its alums. Also, if you decide to change your direction, your options are greater because of a wider name recognition of the more prestigious school.

I would try to talk to people in the industry for their thoughts. Most industries have trade shows or organizations. I would think that the department becomes much more important on the graduate level, particularly in specialized areas of groundbreaking research and the experience that comes with it. I don't know if any such opportunities would be available as an undergraduate.

Good luck!!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt