SkydiveNFlorida

Choosing a University for Undergrad: What is important

Have you thought of going to a school that is not as prestigious?

Just because the school has a good name, doesn't mean that you will get a better education or make better friends. I have gone to both UCLA and CSUN (a smaller no-name school down the road) and I would chose CSUN over UCLA.

At CSUN I can actually get to know my teachers and they actually CARE about my education. People at smaller schools also seem to be more concerned about being successful in life and not overly obsessed with vanity and driving daddy's fancy car. The partys are usually better at the bigger schools though...but that's what the dropzone is for!

Good luck!

Check out if real professors teach the undergrad classes. When I was a visiting scientist at Berkeley a few years ago, the undergrad classes in engineering were mostly taught by graduate teaching assistants, while the profs. spent their time in the labs or writing research grant proposals.

This in an issue at many universities with a large research activity.

Rose Hulman specializes in undergrad. engineering, you WILL get well treated there, and small class sizes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Check out if real professors teach the undergrad classes. When I was a visiting scientist at Berkeley a few years ago, the undergrad classes in engineering were mostly taught by graduate teaching assistants, while the profs. spent their time in the labs or writing research grant proposals.

This in an issue at many universities with a large research activity.

Rose Hulman specializes in undergrad. engineering, you WILL get well treated there, and small class sizes.

I knew this day would come...the sky must be falling...but I agree with Kallend...:D:D:D...

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

A great deal depends upon the re$ource$ that you have available to you and what your long-range plans are. Unless daddy's really rich, and assuming that someone's planning a career that will require a graduate degree, I'd suggest that they go to a good local (state tuition) undergraduate school, take the tough courses that prep for the field of interest, and work like a horse to get a high GPA ... then a really good grad school is more likely to be interested in the candidate (and more likely to come up with funding). I've seen some very smart people go to very rigorous undergrad schools that chewed them up and spit them out with a degree in their backpack ... they had the degree, but were burnt out, too.

** just so we're all on the same page, tho, all of the schools I applied to have accredited departments by AICHE, just some are ranked higher than others according to US News, a valuable ranking system to the best of my knowledge.

Then i would say go where you interest lies and where you like the professors and program. Challenge yourself, go interview them. Remember you are picking the school not the other way around ;) Interview them as much as they do you, they'll love that :)
If there is anything I can do, I went to a kick ass business school, our program is one of the top in the country. I may be good for something, never burn bridges and make friends with all the professors, they are usually the coolest people on campus. i've always hung out with older people so that was my jive, I'm always learning and soaking in, they were great for stories, etc.

I don't think there will be a shortage of anything at whatever school you choose. Remember, it might not be the best school on paper, but if you aren't happy with even one aspect of your life, it will start to creep into school and other stuff. Be happy, make the most of wherever you go, you'll do great :)
BEST OF LUCK:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Well, I chose Arizona State University since it was close to Eloy

Yes, but she's already IN to Georgia Tech, and it's close to Skydive Atlanta! ;)
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Generally, the prestige of the school is all that matters. There are some companies that will not look at you unless you went to certain schools. Similarly, doors are opened wider because of a school and its alums. Also, if you decide to change your direction, your options are greater because of a wider name recognition of the more prestigious school.

Cal will cover this base, esp on the intl scene, but a upper division undergrad transfer is going to have a hell of a time getting into any meaningful research.

But a person with a chem BS isn't going very far in research anyway. You hit that ceiling pretty quick with anything short of a ph.d.

chicks dude chicks
that is what is important

Chicks chick chicks?!?

This totally depends on if you want to go to graduate school afterwards or not. If you want graduate school, then go to the best school where you can be top of your class, as graduate programs put so much on undergrad GPA. If you plan to enter industry after you graduate, then you'll want the best program (as long as you don't completely bomb your GPA). As for entering the world of research, you need to find a happy medium in between. A good research institute won't look at you if you have below 3.5 GPA, but then again they understand the importance of a good undergrad department. But for the most part I totally agree with Wendy, trasfering from a school where it was totally undergrad and all courses were taught by a professor to a school where I managed to see my professor once a week during the 500 person lecture was less than desirable.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

IN AT BERKELEY!

Chemical Engineering / double major / Materials Science
Out-of-State community college transfer
3.73 gpa (all A's in all of the upper level major courses)
Honest Essay, spoke about my life and things i've accomplished and overcome.

When I dropped out of high school I never thought my life would take this turn. I am so grateful for this opportunity, I am about to cry. Ok, I am actually crying.

Angela

If you haven't visited the campuses i strongly recommend you do so, especially considering the places you are considering.
Some schools just aren't a good fit for certain types of people. It's most important that you are happy and comfortable wherever you go. You will do better in school if you are happy.
Check out the area surrounding the schools and figure out if you want to be in that type of neighborhood.

And as far as the prestige thing goes, the schools on your list are all very respectable schools.

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here