RoryJ

Silicone or WD-40?

So, at my old DZ the rigger swore by silicone spray, but my new rigging loft (where I am doing a bit of work) uses WD-40 (I believe that is what grade it is...).

To all the riggers out there: which do you prefer and why?
Not again!

Depends on the application. If you have a squeaky door hinge use WD-40. If you want to lube your cut away and reserve cables use dry silicone spray. I prefer not to use the wet silicone because it attracts dirt. Although silicone also works on squeaky hinges.

Hardy har har, Paul. I have been U KYing a lot in the past two days... the beauties of actually getting to work in a loft...

Silicone seems like a better option to me, as petroleum products are more likely to be sticky in nature, not something that you want on your cutaway cable, making it dirtier in the end.

And yes, some use WD-40 to lube up cutaway cables, to our poster just above. Ask your rigger what they use.

And I will try to not use the silicone spray as a salad dressing because it is not food grade. ;)
Not again!

I dont need to ask my rigger. I know for a fact that he uses silicone spray only for the cutaway cables.

he doesnt ever have to clean and lube my cables anyway I do it, and I use silicone as well.

who wants to smell WD40 on their rig...thats just fucking ghetto... may as well and just wrap the handles up with electrical tape.. really set it off!!!

what the fuck BWAHAHAHAAA!!!!
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Hardy har har, Paul. I have been U KYing a lot in the past two days... the beauties of actually getting to work in a loft...

Silicone seems like a better option to me, as petroleum products are more likely to be sticky in nature, not something that you want on your cutaway cable, making it dirtier in the end.

And yes, some use WD-40 to lube up cutaway cables, to our poster just above. Ask your rigger what they use.

And I will try to not use the silicone spray as a salad dressing because it is not food grade. ;)

WD-40 is a petroleum based lube that degrades plastic...

And my rigger doesn't clean my cables...I DO! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

But it should be food grade. You don't want silcon spray with an organic solvent carrier.

Many used light oil, WD-40, sewing machine oil, 3 in 1 oil for years. Many still do. Then we 'found' the silicon spray. BTW most of what your cleaning off your cables is residual oil mixed with dirt from the flexible metal hose manufacturing process.

From the Vector manual.

"Clean and lubricate the release cable with a light oil such as “3 in 1” brand or silicon. Put a few drops on a paper towel and firmly wipe the cable a few times. A thin, invisible film should remain - too much will attract grit and dirt, or the oil could become tacky in cold weather. Too much oil will require more force to extract the cable during a breakaway."

I'd stay away from WD-40 but would and did use 3 in 1 oil.

There is enough information, and lack of ingredient list, on the WE-40 website partly quoted below for me to stay away from it.

"What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

What is the shelf life of WD-40?
Indefinite. While some products may have an expiration date, WD-40 lasts so long that a "use by" date isn't necessary.

How long does WD-40 last after application?
While this may vary depending on the application, WD-40 remains effective even after it appears to dry. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients remain adhered to the surface. External conditions may, of course, require additional applications of WD-40 for maximum protection.

I've heard that people use WD-40 as a cleaner/remover. What can it be used on?
WD-40 removes sap, tar, adhesives, labels and tape from surfaces without damaging existing paint. It's an effective cleaner for tools, equipment, and vehicles. Use it to remove splattered bugs from the front of cars. WD-40 will even help remove gum from carpet. Just spray, wait, and wipe with a clean cloth.

How is WD-40 different from 3-IN-ONE®?
WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant. 3-IN-ONE, with it's special drip spout, enables you to lubricate without any overspray or splatter. 3-IN-ONE is ideal to use on tools, rollers, hinges, in-line skates, wheels...nearly everything that moves.

What does WD-40 do?
WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There are actually a few different formulations of WD-40. 2 that I am personally aware of. I know someone working in a poison control lab she got me some ingredient lists.

Most of it is kerosone and someone once told me they used JetA but I hope it was a joke. I use WD40 on the bores of an engine to stop them from rusting but that's about it.

I use 3 in 1. While some complain that it attracts dirt we're not in an overly sandy environment so maybe those in AZ have to worry more. I also think people tend to under-maintain their cutaway and 3 rings. So some user-education is also worthwhile.

-Michael

So, at my old DZ the rigger swore by silicone spray, but my new rigging loft (where I am doing a bit of work) uses WD-40 (I believe that is what grade it is...).

To all the riggers out there: which do you prefer and why?

Replace that with silicone lubricate. preferably food grade.

Why? I don't trust WD-40 to not degrade lolon. I've never experimented with it so I don't know for certain. WD-40 will clean grease off a chain, break down adhesive and gum from floors

Silicone is slippery. It works well and does not attract dust like WD-40.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The loft where I trained taught me to use WD-40 sprayed directly onto the cables to clean them, wipe off with clean and dry cloth. Then spray with silicone and then wipe off exces with clean dry cloth. Works a treat.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

WD-40 is not designed as a lubricant. It's a water displacer and corrosion preventer, and should not be used as a lubricant on parachute equipment unless specifically called out by the manufacturer. Its ability as a lubricant are due to one component of the mixture (10%) being mineral oil. In general if you want to lubricate something with WD-40, mineral oil works as well or better.