geofsmth

stowing slider/slider keeper

I have two rigs. a talon 2 and mirage G4. I collapse and pull my slider down behind my head and loosen my chest strap which helps keep it down but I would like to get a keeper to hold it down.
I have seen the bungee style keepers. Can these be purchased and put on by a rigger?? What other options are there? Any pics?

~From the sellers ad~

Skydiving is a dangerous activity which may result in injury and or death.

Placing anything on your rig may interfere with main or reserve deployment and could possibly entangle with any part of a parachute system.

Using this product may interfere with the function of container and may increase chances of entanglement.

Not for nuthin' ...but sometimes the cost of cool can be a bit high.

Kinda like hanging a cup holder in a F-16, sure it's convenient but do ya REALLY need it? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've got "slocks" on my risers (do a search for pictures and details) which keep the slider down so I can use rear risers and they're super easy to use but having the slider behind my head restricts my head movement a bit. Does the same happen with the skytie? Does that skytie flap around in freefall? Is it easy to use? The plastic balls look very fiddly, particularly if you're wearing gloves.

Before I installed and used this, I showed it to my rigger and discussed the possible side affects of it.
The way it installs I was told that it will not interfere with the reserve deployment.
So do I really need it? Maybe....
All though i do not swoop, before when I pulled my slider down it would interfere with my vision. Most of the time it would block my vision looking back/down. Sometimes it would come up enough that I wanted something to hold it down.
This seemed to be a better option than a rubber band/ball setup.

Not saying any slider keeper is good OR bad...just be aware that it 'could' cause a situation that may require you to remove the rig to fix...free-fall may be a less than ideal time for that.

Granted I'm old school, but adding something to the container that wasn't tested in the TSO'd design is adding a link in the chain.

I see a lotta people using them and I don't know of any problems...of course we all used ripcord stops for quite a few years too! ;)

Placing anything on your rig may interfere with main or reserve deployment and could possibly entangle with any part of a parachute system.

Using this product may interfere with the function of container and may increase chances of entanglement.

What the man said.....

I prefer a Velcro keeper, as it will actually release. I attach it to the binding tape at the top of the yoke with a simple straight stitch. Worked well for thousands of jumps.

I like my removable slider better now.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The way it installs I was told that it will not interfere with the reserve deployment.

Did you make sure your rigger is qualified to make that call? Master rigger or manufacturer.....

I see a lotta people using them and I don't know of any problems...of course we all used ripcord stops for quite a few years too!

I have seen several mal's caused by the "bungee and ball" style keeper.

I see a lotta people using them and I don't know of any problems...of course we all used ripcord stops for quite a few years too!

I have seen several mal's caused by the "bungee and ball" style keeper.

Mains only I hope...:o

Not for nuthin' ...but sometimes the cost of cool can be a bit high.

That's the first I've heard that stowing a slider is a "cool" thing or do you specifically mean these thing tha attach to the cover. Still I can't believe that people are attaching something to their reserve pin covers without understanding what can go wrong. Hell even riggers occassionally miff it up. As if a normal Joe isn't going to throw that on in some way that makes it bind up.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Brian Germain makes something called Slocks that install on the risers. There's a thread around here somewhere about them.

http://bigairsportz.com/article.php#slider

I have a Mirage G4 with slider lock risers.It's option from Mirage.So far,no problems.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

A few mains and one severely bent (more than 90 degrees) reserve pin.

What were the mals on the main? Any idea of the mechanics of the event that bent the reserve pin?

I never liked the tarp bungee slider keepers, but I have been using the new skysystems magnetic.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Brian Germain makes something called Slocks that install on the risers. There's a thread around here somewhere about them.

http://bigairsportz.com/article.php#slider

I have a Mirage G4 with slider lock risers.It's option from Mirage.So far,no problems.

Blue skies

This is the best way I have tried so far.

I'm just wondering how strong you think the magnet is on the Sky Tie?

You said that you "prefer a Velcro keeper, as it will actually release".

Maybe i'm wrong and your talking about something else, like the way it's installed but i'm just wondering.
I do plan on talking to my rigger (again) and now have some doubt in this product. So any info is appreciated.

I'm tossing in my 2 cents here. I've got the bungee ball on my main rig and some old "slocks" on my backup rig. The slocks on my older Javelin needs to be replaced, but new they work good enough when new, but IMO not as good as the Skytie or bungee ball. you could always sew on a velcro on your jumpsuit as I've seen some do, but I'm more worried about having a cutaway main strapped to my jumpsuit then my reserve flap. In addition, by keeping the slider attached to the rig and not the jumpsuit, you'll be able to take the rig off and walk away without doing anything to the slider. =)

I've always been worried about the possible cutaway from a main with my slider attached to my bungee ball config. But last summer while I was participating in a freestyle/beerchase canopy competition, I cutaway my main on the ground. I felt that the slider got stuck, but with only two jerks, the ball was off, slider free and I went for the beer. To me that proved that the bungee won't hold a slider from a canopy that's cut away. I don't think that the reserve flap or slider will take any damage if you need to cutaway with the slider attached to the reserve flap. Also the chances that you need to cut away AFTER stowing your slider behind you neck are slim(but they are there and should be considered) since most cutaways happen during deployment/right after deployment.

I've not seen or heard of any mals that happened due to a bungee ball config, but wouldn't surprise me that it might have occurred. :)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

What the man said.....

I prefer a Velcro keeper, as it will actually release. I attach it to the binding tape at the top of the yoke with a simple straight stitch. Worked well for thousands of jumps.

I like my removable slider better now.

Haven't there been some fatalities/mals due to the velco NOT releasing upon cutaway?

I made riser locks for my last rig and used them for a while with success. Today I repeated the process for my new rig and took a few pictures. These locks are not as effective as the ball/ bungee or Velcro because they don’t hold the center of the slider thus it still flaps and catches air a bit but at least stays down. I made them with 2 pieces of ¾ webbing. To use them I simply collapse the slider, pull the rear grommets first then the front ones. Very simple and safe (you’re not connected to the canopy anywhere besides the three ring).
1. Cut 2 pieces of webbing approximately 2 3/8 with a hot knife
2. Fold the webbing as shown (I locked it with a straight stitch for easy handling)
3. Draw a line 2”from the confluence point (this is the position that worked best for me)
4. Sew with two zig zag stitches (I locked it in place with a straight stitch before sewing to the riser and removed the stitch later)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted