billvon

Argus battery problems

The Argus requires two CR123A primary lithium batteries for operation. This is often touted as a feature since these batteries are readily available at places like Radio Shack, so the user can purchase the batteries themselves and provide them to their rigger for lower-cost and more convenient battery changes. Per the manual they must be replaced after one year or when "BAT LOW" comes on, whichever comes first. The replacement batteries also must have a remaining shelf life of six years. The principle there is that if you jump the rig a lot, and the batteries are near dead, you will get a "BAT LOW" indication before the batteries actually die, indicating they must be replaced. If you do not get that indication, then in principle there should be enough remaining power to use the unit for jumping that day.

Recently I've seen/heard of several Argus AAD's that have failed shortly after installation. When first turned on, the Argus indicates a normal powerup, without any battery warning. Then, a few weeks later, the unit will either indicate BATT LOW or not even turn on. These failures all occurred within a year of purchase, before the first mandatory battery replacement.

In all the cases I'm aware of, the batteries were "mixed." One was an original Argus battery (black shrink wrap) and the second was a newer Duracell or equivalent CR123A. When tested, the newer battery indicated it was fine, the black battery indicated it was so far past dead that it had actually become reverse biased. (I tested two sets of batteries.)

This suggests that at some point someone changed one of the batteries and saw the unit work OK, and so they did not change the other, assuming the low battery condition had been resolved. This is a VERY dangerous thing to do, even if the manual does not specifically prohibit it. When two batteries of very different charge level are used in such an application, the good battery can reverse bias the lower battery and cause a rapid failure of the low battery - even though the voltage level of both batteries combined may initially be acceptable to the battery test performed during turn-on. This rapid failure can happen while the unit just sits there; if the timing is right, it could even happen during usage of the Argus.

It's easy to tell if two different "vintage" batteries were used if both look different (i.e. one Argus, one Duracell.) If they are the same manufacturer/date code, you may want to check them with a meter to make sure they are both of similar charge level. A meter good for battery tests is about $9 at Radio Shack. However, I have not seen any cases of two identical batteries causing problems, and simply replacing both with new batteries may be easier than testing them.

I strongly suggest that any Argus users replace _both_ batteries whenever required - when they have been in use for more than a year, or when the BATT LOW indication is seen. It may also be a good idea to replace them any time a new or used Argus is installed, or whenever a repack is done. It is cheap insurance; they run $1.50ea when ordered on line.

I use CR123s in some devices I use for work. Others can attest to this as well, there seem to be differences between the batteries from different manufactures. SureFire batteries have been the best that I have personally used.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I use CR123s in some devices I use for work. Others can attest to this as well, there seem to be differences between the batteries from different manufactures. SureFire batteries have been the best that I have personally used.

I was just going to chime in that SureFire torches use that size. I bought a box of about 20 Panasonic batteries nice and cheap off eBay.

I sent a link to this thread to the "contact us" address at Argus. Here is the reply email that I got today:

Thank you for this info.
We're not using the black 'Argus' batteries any more.
We're using Panasonics now and those work out great.

Kind regards,

Karel

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Boy is it stupid to not change ALL the batteries at once :S Cmon, it's along the lines of "don't microwave your doggie" and you shouldn't need a manual telling you not do do this :S

What I do see some people do however is using fully charged batteries for things like camera flashes but they use different batteries, ie mix 2 brands of rechargeable AA's. This is also a bad idea, use the same batteries (and with the same charge level) in any appliance. Especially something that may end up saving your bacon ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This suggests that at some point someone changed one of the batteries and saw the unit work OK, and so they did not change the other, assuming the low battery condition had been resolved. This is a VERY dangerous thing to do, even if the manual does not specifically prohibit it. When two batteries of very different charge level are used in such an application, the good battery can reverse bias the lower battery and cause a rapid failure of the low battery - even though the voltage level of both batteries combined may initially be acceptable to the battery test performed during turn-on. This rapid failure can happen while the unit just sits there; if the timing is right, it could even happen during usage of the Argus.

It's easy to tell if two different "vintage" batteries were used if both look different (i.e. one Argus, one Duracell.) If they are the same manufacturer/date code, you may want to check them with a meter to make sure they are both of similar charge level. A meter good for battery tests is about $9 at Radio Shack. However, I have not seen any cases of two identical batteries causing problems, and simply replacing both with new batteries may be easier than testing them.

I strongly suggest that any Argus users replace _both_ batteries whenever required - when they have been in use for more than a year, or when the BATT LOW indication is seen. It may also be a good idea to replace them any time a new or used Argus is installed, or whenever a repack is done. It is cheap insurance; they run $1.50ea when ordered on line.

Of course, your conclusion is uncontestable. The safest thing is always to verify that you have a matched pair of batteries.

Still, Aviacom has told me that we should not need to change batteries in factory-new units, unless we find the bad black-wrapped Argus-branded batteries. They have assured me that these batteries are no longer used by the factory, and that they should be out of the supply by now.

The only case I have seen was purported to be factory new unit. It was in a sealed factory-looking bag. So the mixed battery came from the factory; I don't think it was done in the field.

For the record, I always change the pair together.

Why someone would only change 1 out of 2 batterys in a life saving device we may never know:S. Better yet Neptune sugest you use only high quality batterys when replacing your batterys in there unit, but Argus suggest using any battery of same model.[:/] One only tells you the altitude and the other will hopefully save your life if need be. Makes no sence!

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Why someone would only change 1 out of 2 batterys in a life saving device we may never know:S. Better yet Neptune sugest you use only high quality batterys when replacing your batterys in there unit, but Argus suggest using any battery of same model.[:/] One only tells you the altitude and the other will hopefully save your life if need be. Makes no sence!

Aviacom does not suggest using "any battery of same model".

From the Argus manual, section 2.2:

The batteries are standard off-the-shelf CR123A. We recommend the use of Sanyo, Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic or Sony batteries. The remaining shelf life must be at least six years. Other brands can be used too, but we have found these brands to work the best.

I experienced the same thing, with one Argus battery and one Panasonic installed, apparently at the factory, and the Argus battery was the dead one. I never got a BATT LOW indication; when I tried to turn the unit on the logo just kept flashing and flashing. I couldn't turn it off; it eventually stopped after several hours when the weak battery went totally dead. The Argus was was one month old when I bought it and 8 months old when it failed. Replacing the batteries with new Duracells fixed the problem.