freeheelbillie

FULL FACED LIDS???

I am just curious about what type of full faced helmet provides the best; fit, peripheral vision in an emergency, best visor locking system and all round comfort. I am sure this varies but most shops only have a couple of models to try on.

Thanks for the help!

Billie
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

I am just curious about what type of full faced helmet provides the best; fit, peripheral vision in an emergency, best visor locking system and all round comfort. I am sure this varies but most shops only have a couple of models to try on.

Thanks for the help!

Billie

I've been very pleased with my Z1 from Parasport Italia. It has a very small profile, great visibility, and I like the one-handed operation of opening and closing the face shield, which also has a frame around it for rigidity.

No downside so far after a buttload of jumps.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I have been very pleased with my FreeZR, by paratec. It has a very secure closing system. It comes in various shell sizes, so a smaller head wont look like a bobble head doll, and a large head wont feel as if they have no padding.

The field of view is excellent, and very wide. It also has enough space under the visor for sunglasses and prescription ones as well. Two audible pockets, and a very well padded and comfortable inside. I use it for freefly as well as rw. Can't go wrong with this lid.
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It depends on the user. Pretty much any helmet out there has some people who feel it is the best. Head shape and size, and other factors all go into it.

For me, because I wear glasses, I much prefer the Bonehead Havok.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

everyones head is a different shape/size therefore comfort will vary

see if you can try on some peoples helmets at ur DZ and see what ya like

that being said, i have a Z1 and its really really comfy
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I like the Z1, too. It's comfortable, has an elasticated collar to keep the wind out, doesn't add too much bulk to your head and has a reliable visor locking system. The rigid frame of the visor means the lens is less likely to be damaged if you catch it on something while it's open - and it does open fully, right up and out of the way. I inadvertently jumped a couple of times with the visor up soon after I got the helmet, and it suffered no damage - I've seen unsupported lenses shatter under the same conditions.

Some people who've tried the Z1 thought that the downward visibility - i.e. towards your emergency handles - wasn't good, but I think that's a lot to do with how you place it on your head (I make sure I pull the chin-piece right down when I fit it).

My only other word of caution is that the locking system, while well designed, requires a real knack to open it. You have to hold the catch in while lifting the visor, and I'd advise any new owner to practise, practise, practise this on the ground before jumping it. Even now in very cold weather (which is also when you're most likely to have a misting problem) I sometimes come down with broken thumbnails (yes, even through gloves) from struggling to operate it with numb fingertips!

As others have said, if your head is unusually large or small then you may be limited to certain manufacturers anyway. Two friends of mine bought full-face helmets at the same time a few years ago: Parasport Italia had to make a special lining for her Z1 since even their smallest size wasn't a snug fit, and he had to buy a Factory Diver because his head is too big for the largest Z1!

I did the same thing just this past weekend on my 2 week old mamba. Dove out the door for a speed star and felt a lot of wind on my face. Quickly pulled it down and it was fine the rest of the jump. Inspected it on the ground and there was no damage, other then feeling like a jackass.

I only have 20 or so jumps with my mamba but so far it has been great. The closing mechanism is simple to operate and seems secure although I guess I will find out some time down the road if that remains true. It is very comfortable and quiet in free fall. What made my decision was just trying on all the helmets and seeing which fit my head shape the best.

I can never figure out what size to order.

There's no way of telling without trying them on. Different manufacturers have their own definitions of small, medium, large etc. I'd never order a helmet without being able to try it on first, both because of the size issue and because there may be other things I won't know until I've actually worn it.

I'd never buy a helmet without trying it on first:S

Me either, which is why I still don't have a full face. I've never seen one at the DZ that fit me. It seems everyone has pin heads, or mine is like a hot air balloon.

There are no stores near me.