cphelan

Helmets through the airport

Im just wondering what your opinions are on packing helmets for check in baggage. Im not gonna have room for my rig and helmet through carry on. Im sure i'm just being a worrywart but what do you think the possibility of the helmet cracking because of all the other luggage being piled on top of it or getting damaged from the way the bag handlers toss them around. I have a optik and the sides are fairly flexible and i think with enough pressure it could crack? Any suggestions or am I worrying about nothing? Thanks

Pack it as if you were shipping it and it "should" be fine. Perhaps stuff the inside with clothes and then wrap a towel or something similar around the outside.

That's what I do with my helmet when I travel for skydiving. However, sometimes if I pack it in a smaller luggage, there's not much room for padding. So I just stuff the outside baggage pocket with some stuff to make sure it's not a problem. The bottom surface of my luggage is hard, so I don't need to put much there.

Lots of baggage piled on top of most skydiving helmets won't be your main worry -- it'll be blunt-force trauma, like corners banging into each others, punching holes and all. Just pack as if you're shipping.

Theres completely different forces being put on the helmet. And without your head being in the helmet and in a suitcase there can be a number of different points where pressure is being applied that the helmet was never designed to withstand. Now being tossed around by the baggage people might possibly be the same as hitting your head when crashing but I doubt your going to have everyone in the plane standing on your head for a duration of time. :P

Check your airlines. Most allow you 1 carry-on and 1 personal bag the size of say a backpack. When I travelled to NC a couple weeks ago I didnt even have any checked bags. I put all my gear (including helmet) and clothing into a backpack and took my rig as a personal item. 2 carry-ons and no paying $15 fucking dollars to check a bag.:)

Muff #5048

Put camera stuff/misc stuff in the helmet. I used my helmet as a protective case for my DSLR when I did it. I put the camera in the helmet then lined every centmeter of free space in the helmet with socks and boxers. You have to get innovative. The helmet itself doesnt actually take up that much space.
Muff #5048

Im just wondering what your opinions are on packing helmets for check in baggage.

Open faced helmets will fit around one of the top corners of many rigs inside an airline-legal carry-on.

Hhhmm never thought of doing that.. I like that idea best ill try that out and see if it works thanks

Im just wondering what your opinions are on packing helmets for check in baggage.

Open faced helmets will fit around one of the top corners of many rigs inside an airline-legal carry-on.

Hhhmm never thought of doing that.. I like that idea best ill try that out and see if it works thanks

Might be worth double-checking with the airline first if you plan to take it as carry-on. I've been refused before when going through security, although that was with a full-faced helmet (properly bagged - I wouldn't advise wearing it!) ;). I presume they were afraid I was going to use it for protection and/ or anonymity in a hijack situation. :|