wmw999

Mistake-proofing gear

Velcro actually becomes a better and better idea the more high-performance your canopy gets, because of the increased severity of a brake fire.

what has the velcro to do with that ?

If you had ever seen a PArachutes de France toggle, you would definitely adopt that system.

No I wouldn't.:)
I don't believe pins or snaps belong on risers.

I do think Velcro is almost fool proof, but then I haven't met every fool.B|

I think the nicest riser/toggle combination on the market today are sold by Velocity Sports Equipment, makers of the Infinity. It's the ONLY hard housing that I'm sure will stay in place.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

We now have magnetic riser covers which seem fantastic, how about magnetic line stows?

That's entirely possible, and a good idea! It wouldn't surprise me if someone is working on that now.

Update:

I just got a PM from someone who said they didn't realize that their reserve had Velcro type toggles, and had a difficult time unstowing the brakes during the excitement of a reserve ride.

That is something I had never thought of. I guess Velcroless toggles have been around long enough now that some people may not know about the Velcro type.

Riggers and manufacturers, you might want to make note of this for your customer briefings and owners manuals.

We now have magnetic riser covers which seem fantastic, how about magnetic line stows?

That's entirely possible, and a good idea! It wouldn't surprise me if someone is working on that now.

Update:

I just got a PM from someone who said they didn't realize that their reserve had Velcro type toggles, and had a difficult time unstowing the brakes during the excitement of a reserve ride.

That is something I had never thought of. I guess Velcroless toggles have been around long enough now that some people may not know about the Velcro type.

Riggers and manufacturers, you might want to make note of this for your customer briefings and owners manuals.

Tee!
Hee!
I have only seen Velcro-less reserve toggles in Wings and a recent Javelin.
Maybe we do need to instruct customers ....

I met someone this weekend who had a mod done to their bridle... Its a collapsible PC, so it must be cocked before every jump. A rigger moved the closing pin to the inside of the bridle, and created a window (much like the window that lets you view your kill line color). The pin would only be visible through the window (and therefore able to be inserted in the closing loop) if the pilot chute had been cocked.

I couldn't tell you how to make this mod yourself, but the theory seemed sound.

PDF sold this kind of system, but there were some problems with (what if the kill line shrinks, breaks, ...). This solutions solves a problem, but also creates some other problems.
I believe that there is an old thread about it.

http://www.pgasus.be/start.php?pg=text&item=mPOD

i think he may have been refering to the brake line stows
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

and i would think that a magnetic linestow like on that bag would make it more likely to have a line dump/knots... but thats just what i think
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Velcro actually becomes a better and better idea the more high-performance your canopy gets, because of the increased severity of a brake fire.

what has the velcro to do with that ?

If you had ever seen a PArachutes de France toggle, you would definitely adopt that system.

No I wouldn't.:)

I think the nicest riser/toggle combination on the market today are sold by Velocity Sports Equipment, makers of the Infinity. It's the ONLY hard housing that I'm sure will stay in place.

Vector had the true locks. They seem to work well
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

no more snaps on the PdF toggles (which is a good thing)

Almost is the word... in my short skydiving carreer, I saw scarily maltreated velcro making it as useful as .. nothing
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

and i would think that a magnetic linestow like on that bag would make it more likely to have a line dump/knots... but thats just what i think

Just to add to the comment about the reserves, they do use that type of line stow, only with velcro to hold the flap shut instead of magnets.

Additionally, there are main d-bags being used today with the same system only with tuck tubs to hold the flaps shut.

BASE canopies have a tail pocket that stow the lines the same way as well, generally closed with velcro.

http://www.pgasus.be/start.php?pg=text&item=mPOD

i think he may have been refering to the brake line stows

Yes sorry I should have been more clear, I was referring to Brake Line Stows using magnets instead of velcro.

no more snaps on the PdF toggles (which is a good thing)

Almost is the word... in my short skydiving carreer, I saw scarily maltreated velcro making it as useful as .. nothing

It doesn't make sense to compare one system, poorly maintained, to another system in good shape.

I have had more than one brake fire jumping a set of risers with pin-based toggle keepers, because the pocket the pin went into was old and stretched out and put poor tension on the pin.

I don't know if the PdF design is susceptible to this because I still haven't seen a picture or heard an explanation, but the point is this: no gear is maintenance free, and at equal levels of repair, I don't know of a toggle keeper system that will outperform Velcro in the prevention of accidental brake release.

Most of the jumpers that make mistakes remove themselvs from the sport. Just read the fatality reports.

Actually I think the more correct way of saying that is "Most jumpers who remove themselves from the sport made mistakes."

There are a lot of close-calls and learning experiences (mistakes) in this sport. I've had a few already in my very limited time. Its back to filling up those buckets-- one of luck and one of experience..