dgw

Why are all closing pins not curved?

To reiterate what was said earlier...
The ripcord always pulls in the same direction. The curved pin is to allow a pull in any direction. So you're proposing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

-Michael

This bit is the reason why I don't see a disadvantage for curved pins, perhaps not on reserves (if it ain't broke etc..), but why not on pull-out deployment systems? Would the curved pin not offer better protection from unseating, without adding another problem? For any given closing closing loop tension, I would not expect the pull force to change significantly when using a curved pin versus a straight pin.

Thanks!

Look for the function as always:
Pins are shaped to be pulled without becoming a lever with the loop in the middle and without pushing on a flap at the end.
1)
a) straight pins are used on pull out system since the jumper has to pull the handle of the pilot chute which is also directly linked to the straight pin. That way, the pin is pulled side way just like the arm move of the jumper.

b) straight pins are alo used on the reserve since the cable pulling at them is laying on the same geometrical plane than the pin which the geometrical plane of the top of your reserve.

2) a curved pin is used on the main when using a throw away pilot chute. Your are on your belly and throw your pilot chute away. The pilot chute goes up vertically but the curved pin is still flat against the pack which is still horizontal. What happens at the bridle extention is that your curved pin will change from a horizontal plane to a vertical one and will slip easily without becoming a lever. I suggest you to put your packed rig flat on the ground, open the main pin cover flap and remove the pilot chute and get the bridle vertical above the pack. Then pull slowly on it in order to see what your curved pin is doing and you will tell me the result.
When in doubt, always try to figure out the function or how it works and you will generally find the solution.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Call the maker. Tony D. at Square1 in Perris, Ca.

The curved pin was invented by Hank Asciutto before Tony started jumping. For many years they were only made by Dennis Trepenier, both members of Al Kruger’s Capt. Hook and the Sky Pirates.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks I actually did know that. Tony is not the designer Hank was. Tony is not the maker. The pins are made overseas somewhere there is cheap enough labor. Tony is the supplier. Were some early curved pin design consist of like 1/8 in. dia. steel wire and soldered to close the ring? Did they wrap part of the pin with wire and solder or was that just the straight pins on some of Hanks rigs?

Some of the very early pins were made from wire formed and silver soldered. But then came the stamped curved pin made from sheet stock. To make it look better Hank had them chrome plated. The chrome started to flake after awhile and would cut the loop. That’s when they decided to make them out of stainless steel. Hank then polished them in a bullet brass tumbler full of walnut shells to smooth them out. Every so often I would go by his shop to shoot the shit and he would put me work counting them out in stacks of 100 for shipping. :P

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals