lawrocket

Am I a Scrooge?

What's that got to do with the smartass comment to Kallend

Who said my comment was directed to Kallend? The comment was a general one.

Well...with "Re: [Kallend] Am I a Scrooge?" at the top of your post, I thought it was a safe bet that you were replying to Kallend. Interpretation sometimes gets lost in written messages. My bad, if I'm wrong. Anyway, it's pretty easy to just delete the name in the bracket if one wishes to just make a general blah...blah...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've been wanting to fire our paralegal for a couple of months due to numerous problems.

Then you should have fired her months ago or given her a warning.

Yeah, I wanted to, but my wife considered her too valuable. So I just let my wife deal with it. Trust me, she was given warnings and we even got her enrolled in a class for improving her communication skills (i.e., quit treating people like dogs).

I'm sorry, but it sounds like your neighbors were holding their party at the same time as yours, correct?

Nope. Ours was 3 weeks earlier. The last straw was that that morning she was asked why something didn't get filed. She "didn't get to it" because she's overloaded with work. Then, after complaining about being oveloaded, took two hours off without permission.

A good excuse for firing someone is that the person doesn't get work done. A better excuse is when the person not getting work done says she can't get work done because she's overloaded and then skips work.

not attending the party was grounds for immediate dismissal the day before Christmas

No, not doing her fucking job is why she was fired. The last straw is when she decides to go next door instead of doing her job.

you should have fired her months ago

I would have, but my wife thought her benefits outweighed the problems. When the balance shifted, she got the old heave ho.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yeah, I wanted to, but my wife considered her too valuable. So I just let my wife deal with it. Trust me, she was given warnings and we even got her enrolled in a class for improving her communication skills (i.e., quit treating people like dogs).

Well, who oversaw the woman? If she was your wife's employee, then your wife should have been the one to let her go. It gets hard when you work with family. I worked at a company that had a husband-wife, a nephew, a sister, sister's friend, etc. It is hard when you have more than one boss. It sounds like she was a shitty employee, and you felt it jeopardized your business, and yet, instead of addressing your concerns with her boss (your wife) you just let it go because she was your wife's employee. Not very business-like, this needed dealing with (ie, firing) before it got down to christmas party drama.

I would have, but my wife thought her benefits outweighed the problems. When the balance shifted, she got the old heave ho.

But, you did not agree. You said yourself that you felt she was a lawsuit waiting to happen. I understand respect for your wife, but I think that if you are both going to be in it together, you should make those decisions together. I would hope that if it were me I would respect my husband's opinion about something so important, and let her go.

It's over, done, and it sounds like she certainly deserved to be fired. It just sounds to me like this should definitely have been dealt with sooner. Good luck on your employee hunt. I hope you find someone who you are both pleased with.

:)
-A

I'm guessing that two of our favorite posters in Speaker's Corner have been banned since they are posting so much over here in Bon Fire.

Hummm.......let's just throw some names out there.

John? Have you been a bad boy?

Apparently. Being a smartass is no longer allowed over there. :o

Strange things happen on DZ.com. CRWMike answered a question about DZ.com email saying, "Having the continuance and privacy of my email depend on the whims of one person is not appealing."

His concern was immediately validated by being permanently kicked off the server. Sanctions seem to depend on what clique you are aligned with here.

Its better than no moderation at all. You can't expect perfection. Tongue-in-cheek comments, by their nature, can be easily misinterpreted by a moderator. Subconscious biases can also affect how a moderator might view a comment. No doubt it goes too far sometimes, and not far enough at others, but on the whole I think we're all thankful that someone is keeping it real around here. I don't think there's any sort of conspiracy, though.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Yes. I read the email HH sent to crwmike ...talk about personal attacks ..wow!

It's his sandbox, he's entitled to his interpretation of the rules. If you don't like them, deal with it. You can deal with a tongue lashing two ways...Cry and hide or say Oooolala...more please.

Choose wisely... :P
-----
~~~Michael

I just re-read that entire thread. Was that really the entire reason he was banned? That one comment?

Sangiro is quite the honorable person. I know this personally. Not many people are going to believe that he did anything like what you are insinuating, especially not without reason.

If you have a problem with Sangiro, handle it with class and send him an e-mail about it yourself.

I just re-read that entire thread. Was that really the entire reason he was banned? That one comment?

Sangiro is quite the honorable person. I know this personally. Not many people are going to believe that he did anything like what you are insinuating, especially not without reason.

If you have a problem with Sangiro, handle it with class and send him an e-mail about it yourself.

The subtopic was seemingly capricious decisions. Sounded like kallend was on the wrong end of one. I brought up the only one I was aware of. Didn't intent to slander HH or defend crwmike.

Too much free time over the holidays so I thought I'd check in here. I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled programming
What could possibly go wrong?

...Of course the lawyers would like us to pass more mediocre engineering students. Then they'd have more liability lawsuits to produce contingency fees.

Jeez Kallend...that's hilarious! Opens up a whole train of thought doesn't it? :D

No PhillyKev...not a scrooge...timing was off but it needed to be done - business IS business.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's his sandbox, he's entitled to his interpretation of the rules. If you don't like them, deal with it. You can deal with a tongue lashing two ways...Cry and hide or say Oooolala...more please.

Choose wisely... :P

Is that like saying the person who owns the ball can redefine an interception to be a touchdown?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Is that like saying the person who owns the ball can redefine an interception to be a touchdown?

Yes. He not only owns the ball but also owns the game. He can make the rules even if his game resembles that of others on the internet. It’s not necessarily the same and doesn’t have to be. Deal with it. I'm sure it isn't just one "facetious comment” (i.e. sneaky personal attack) in one thread that gets one banned from a forum but rather a history of ones from multiple threads that results in such.

Just a little update. The discharged employee applied for unemployment benefits and got them. Of course, we objected. She still got them. So we took it to a board hearing regarding her eligibility. Let's say I've found a new area of law that I rather enjoyed. I researched it, briefed it, and filed our evidence and legal brief a few days ago.

Now we get to review the file prior to the hearing. My wife and I showed up at the hearign to find her and her attorney reviewing my brief. The judge came out and asked if we were ready and I said I hadn't had the opportunity to review the file because they had it. Her attorney bitched a storm about the lengthy brief and evidence that was filed. The Judge said, "Are you an attorney? And you're surprised that a brief was filed? You shoulda done one." As a conscientious guy, I had a copy of all my stuff for him. I handed it to him and I got the file.

Turns out, she wrote a letter explaining that she had no idea why she was terminated and "I feel I havent' done anything to be fired and never receivd warning of being terminated." Her first sentence of the letter, "I arrived to work at 8:40 a.m. on December 23, 2004." More on that later.

Ruination
The judge, after entering everything on the record, asked my wife some questions. I was acting as her attorney and then later had the opportunity to elicit her testiony. Let's say that I ruined our case. It's been so damned long since I've done a direct examination that my questioning really sucked.[:/] If done solely on the basis of my direct, we'd have lost that case.

Part of that was that the judge didn't want any evidence about any of her other screw-ups. He just wanted to hear evidence about her tardiness and unreliability and the record of reprimands. Frankly, I was caught off guard and had to flip flop from my planned order. Lesson - no plan survives first contact. We hadn't made a good case on testimony alone.

Salvation
The employee gave some testimony about how consicentious she was and about how she'd never received notice of problems, that she planned to stay late that day she took that long-ass unauthorized break, that she wasn't allowed to work when she finally came back, yadda yadda.

Now, I am much better as cross-examination than I am at direct. I'm even better when I have an intense dislike for the lying sack I'm examining. Turns out that at cross, I did light her up. I felt like Vinny Gambini. She was changing her story often, and was generally answering questions I did not ask. So I'd reask the question again and again until the judge got mad at her.

On why she wouldn't leave the neighbor's Christmas party to return work on time? How's this for a stunner? "I didn't want to be rude."

She also admitted to being tardy often, and that timely arrival was a very important thing.

I still wasn't sure we'd won. I had a couple of witnesses waiting out in the lobby. Then I got a good sign. The judge said, "Counsel, I've heard enough to make my decision. Do you still want to call those witnesses?" I took it as the judge's way of saying, "Dude. Don't turn this win into a loss."

I was heartened to see that at the end, her attorney could only argue that bad employee never was told she would be fired for showing up late all the time. He basically admitted that, yes, she was always late, taking time off, having long breaks and doing this without permission.

I'll find out in ten days whether our reserve account gets credited for the money she took out of these last 3 1/2 months..

All I can say is "Damn, that felt good." And it gave me some entirely new insight on things. I've never had an action where I was a party. I've never had anything where I might haveto be a witness.

Believe me, it sucks being a party or a witness for a lawsuit. I think I've managed to develop a far better feeling about this stuff with regards to my clients. This whole process will certainly make me better at my job.

And I'll also be far better at covering my ass as an employer. I'll be glad when this is over.

Good luck.

You know I won mine in Superior Court, but the decision isn't binding on the politician I worked for.

That's how it works when they write the laws.

I'm sure, like me, you'll be glad just to get some closure.

JP

Hey. Just got the decision from the judge. I got a reversal, meaning that we won.

Heck, I figured we'd win. But there's always that doubt. The rules are set up pretty much against employers. I've also now determined that I like this area of law, and I'd like to do this stuff more often.