lawrocket

Am I a Scrooge?

I hope you at least gave her the vacation pay she was going to use this week

She wasn't going to get vacation pay. She'd taken so many days off that all she had was some sick pay (three days). She wasn't going to be paid for her week off.

But, rather than going and collecting it, we let her keep the computer she has at home (that we got for her so she could work from home). We just locked her out of the server so she can't do anything with it.

It's time off she wanted, so time off she got. Actually, things are running pretty smoothly now.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Of course the lawyers would like us to pass more mediocre engineering students. Then they'd have more liability lawsuits to produce contingency fees.

There you go again. Another example of someone without a true appreciation of the legal system focusing on contingency fees.

You know, there's the defense side, too, and it pays hourly. It can be pretty damned lucrative, as well, so don't go thinking the defense bar wouldn't like to see it, too.:P

Yes, the defense bar makes money too in EVERY liability lawsuit. Thank you for reinforcing my point.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Students earn their own grades, I just record them.

Unless the professor is biased. Then your statement is false.

Would YOU like me to assist unqualified wannabe engineers to get degrees and go off to design the planes you fly in and the brakes on the cars you drive and the steering on the truck that's tailgating you?

Of course not. What I am saying is that there are a lot of biased professors out there that let their personal interests dictate the grades they issue to students. Those personal interests include looks, political favoritism, etc...

I would definitly not want my child in any class where the professor holds an extreme and bias opinion in politics for example. What if the professor walked by my son who was sitting at a picnic table and overheard him talking to a friend about how he admired George Bush and thought he was doing a superb job? That professor could easily take that personally and purposly give him unjust grades based on their political differences.

Forty-two

Of course not. What I am saying is that there are a lot of biased professors out there that let their personal interests dictate the grades they issue to students. Those personal interests include looks, political favoritism, etc...

If you know John, then you know he does not fall into that group.

Not saying you were saying that.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I would definitly not want my child in any class where the professor holds an extreme and bias opinion in politics for example.

So, you wouldn't want your child taught by..........you?:P
Sorry, tough to resist when they're that easy.
I would hope that most kids smart enough to be in college realize that everyone has their opinions.

And yes, Lawrocket is a Scrooge and smells of elderberries.:P

Oh PUHLEEZE!

Since when does "Doesn't like Bush" (which describes at least 49% of the voting population in the US) become "extreme and biased"? Speaking out against what we think is wrong is a basic freedom in this country yet you want to hang labels on someone who does just that.

I'm not a leftist, not even particularly liberal. I just believe in basic common sense and fairness, qualites I think our current administration is severely lacking. I am so sick of Bush supporters trying to hang some label on me!>:(

Furthermore, you're going to see a lot more political diversity and tolerence on most college campuses than you will in most work places!

Whatever......

I would definitly not want my child in any class where the professor holds an extreme and bias opinion in politics for example. What if the professor walked by my son who was sitting at a picnic table and overheard him talking to a friend about how he admired George Bush and thought he was doing a superb job? That professor could easily take that personally and purposly give him unjust grades based on their political differences.

I doubt that is possible in a discipline based on math and/or science. It's impossible to claim that the correct answer to a problem is wrong.

And I don't know about other schools but ours has a formal appeal process if students think they have been graded unfairly.

I'm guessing that two of our favorite posters in Speaker's Corner have been banned since they are posting so much over here in Bon Fire.

Hummm.......let's just throw some names out there.

John? Have you been a bad boy?

Tuna? Have you been a bad boy?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

So I've been wanting to fire our paralegal for a couple of months due to numerous problems.

Then you should have fired her months ago or given her a warning.

My wife, who is my practice partner, finally had it with her when she was at the neighbor's Christmas party for two straight hours (of course, on our time, and she's been sniveling for months about not being able to get thngs doen because she's overloaded).

I'm sorry, but it sounds like your neighbors were holding their party at the same time as yours, correct? If that is the case, how does her preference of where to spend her time make a difference? You were going to pay her to not work at your party, right?

My wife always worked pretty well with her, which is why I've been keeping it in. She was my wife's right hand person, so that decision was my wife's (I've done all the firing here) but the Chritmas party incident was the last straw (she didn't show up for our Christmas party).

That is a poor excuse for a reason to fire someone. This is why I will never work at a company where relatives are the management again, it is too much drama.

So, she was sent home early on Thursday (our last workday before Christmas) and was terminated.

Yes, not attending the party was grounds for immediate dismissal the day before Christmas. That lying thief! Oh, wait, that's right, this is a drama excuse for dismissal.

I feel like a Scrooge in many ways. But, dammit, her time mismanagement was a malpractice suit waiting to happen.

Then, you should have fired her months ago. Your practice, your decisions, but since your are asking, I think you did a poor job with handling this situation.

JMO.
-A

I just picked you to reply to on this thread with the thought that Tuna and John have been banned from SC. I'm sorry if you thought I was directing anything at you.

Edit to add, well said Angela. If there were problems with this gal for some time, she should have been let got some time ago.

I have a question for you Jerry, did you sit down and tell the gal what she was doing wrong and to give her a chance to fix the problem?

There you go again. Another example of someone without a true appreciation of the legal system focusing on contingency fees.

You know, there's the defense side, too, and it pays hourly. It can be pretty damned lucrative, as well, so don't go thinking the defense bar wouldn't like to see it, too.:P

So when she sues your scrooge ass I guess that means her shark gets paid on contingency while yours gets paid hourly.:o Remember, he who has himself for a lawyer has a fool for a client.

I'm guessing that two of our favorite posters in Speaker's Corner have been banned since they are posting so much over here in Bon Fire.

Hummm.......let's just throw some names out there.

John? Have you been a bad boy?

Apparently. Being a smartass is no longer allowed over there. :o

See www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1410394#1410394 for an impartial comment.

It's hard to be very biased in math or physics.

Last I checked colleges offered other classes besides math and physics.

Right and Kallend is an Engineering and Physics Professor. Last time I checked, there were more classes offered in college too. What's that got to do with the smartass comment to Kallend (smartass is in reference to the comment and not you).