lawrocket

Am I a Scrooge?

So I've been wanting to fire our paralegal for a couple of months due to numerous problems. She is one of those irritating types who is knowledgeable with procedure and forms, but has personality conflicts and is constantly asking for more, more, more.

My wife, who is my practice partner, finally had it with her when she was at the neighbor's Christmas party for two straight hours (of course, on our time, and she's been sniveling for months about not being able to get thngs doen because she's overloaded).

My wife always worked pretty well with her, which is why I've been keeping it in. She was my wife's right hand person, so that decision was my wife's (I've done all the firing here) but the Chritmas party incident was the last straw (she didn't show up for our Christmas party).

So, she was sent home early on Thursday (our last workday before Christmas) and was terminated.

I feel like a Scrooge in many ways. But, dammit, her time mismanagement was a malpractice suit waiting to happen.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I feel like a Scrooge in many ways. But, dammit, her time mismanagement was a malpractice suit waiting to happen.

As a business owner........Fuck it.......you have to protect yourself and your business. Hurting someone's feelings doesn't even register on the radar of concern.

her time mismanagement was a malpractice suit waiting to happen.

Could you explain this for those of us with a sub-par knowledge of the law?

Maybe your timing was bad but look at it as if you are giving her a long X-mas vacation! ;)

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Personally, I'd have a hard time firing someone right before Christmas unless it was really really justified. I probably would have waited until after the holidays but sometimes people like that don't leave you with too many options!

her time mismanagement was a malpractice suit waiting to happen.

When she says she didn't get around to getting filings done. That kind of thing can leave an attorney royally screwed if something isn't submitted in time.

So she says she's way behind, hangs out at the neighbor's Christmas party for two hours, and plans to take the week after Christmas off. If she doesn't want to work, then we'll let her go.

Many companies fire/lay off people at or around Christmas to get them off books before year-end.

If she isn't doing her job, then she needed to be fired. Business is business regardless of the time of year.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Ok, now I see the big picture. In that case you were definately justified in firing her.

My dad has had to let poeple go from his company for the same reasons. The only catch was one of the guys he let go was his son! Hey, like you said...if you don't want to work then you'll get the boot. My brother learned the hard way.

My family really flamed him for that one but as he said...business is business.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

I'm sure you've done nothing to enhance the status of the legal profession within her group of friends, but then as a lawyer, you've got to be use to that.:P

Just be thankful you weren't at the next Christmas Party to which she went.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Ah, I know I've been talked badly about with those gals next door. I can handle that stuff. Her group of friends IS the legal profession.

Hey, tuna, I worry about people's feelings. For example, when there is a KC fan who hasn't been stabbed, I want to ensure that that fan knows what it feels like. :P

Maybe her performance warranted termination but I don't think it should have been based (i.e. the last straw) on her not showing up for your Christmas party. That shouldn't have been in the equation at all. Even her private conversations at the other Christmas party really have nothing to do with work.
You're a scrooge! B| :P

No, the last straw was her spending two hours at the neighbor's Christmas Party when she was sniveling constantly about being overloaded with work and not being able to get it done. She'd complained about it that morning, when she was already hanging on to her job by a gossamer thread.

Even her private conversations at the other Christmas party really have nothing to do with work.

Sure they do, considering it's another law firm. And, her private conversations there have everything to do with her not working.

I guess I am a scrooge. But, I was fed up with her excuses for being lazy.

Sounds to me like you made a wise decision, Killer. If her time managmement skills really were a threat to your business, you simply can't afford the risk of keeping her around.

By the way, is it ever a challenge to be in a practice with your wife? How does that work out for you?
=========Shaun ==========

I guess I am a scrooge. But, I was fed up with her excuses for being lazy.

Nope, no Scrooge you.

If there were serious issues, and it seems like there were serious issues, then it needed to be done. If her behavior jeopardized your license or ability to earn a living, then it was time for her to go. Business doesn't know Christmas, you know?

You did the right thing. I'm sorry you feel badly about it, but you didn't seem to have a choice.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Someone should start failing more law students.

:P:P

Of course the lawyers would like us to pass more mediocre engineering students. Then they'd have more liability lawsuits to produce contingency fees.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Of course the lawyers would like us to pass more mediocre engineering students. Then they'd have more liability lawsuits to produce contingency fees.

There you go again. Another example of someone without a true appreciation of the legal system focusing on contingency fees.

You know, there's the defense side, too, and it pays hourly. It can be pretty damned lucrative, as well, so don't go thinking the defense bar wouldn't like to see it, too.:P