blitzkrieg

Skyhook mal???...

so.... let says hypothetically...

someone has a "routine" cut-away, skyhook rsl reserve deployment and then after...

upon inspection, the red lanyard from the rsl to the skyhook itself has been snapped off.

what do you think would cause that, and why?

hypothetically of course.

The red lanyard is designed to break if the load on the Skyhook exceeds about 325 lbs. This is a safety feature, designed to prevent a hypothetical" bag strip". If the red lanyard breaks, the reserve pilot chute automatically takes over the reserve deployment as if the skyhook had never been there. The French "safety notice" was immediately pulled, and is not in effect. The Skyhook, while not perfect, has an exceptional safety record. It has now been in the field for over six years, with well over a million jumps on over seven thousand rigs. Every manufacturer out there is either using the Skyhook or trying to come up with something else that works as well. All new skydiving devices have had their nay-sayers. The Skyhook will be no exception.

I think it's a bad idea for anyone to consider anything unsafe if improperly assembled. I mean damn those brakes will kill you if you put the pads in backwards! Your rigger is expected to correctly assemble your reserve and/or RSL/MARD system.

-Michael

And IMO if you as the end user are not checking your riggers work, then you're foolish. Any good rigger should welcome such attention by their customers.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:)
Which type of lanyard ? the skyhook system have 2 types of lanyards:

1. OLD Style - Red Type 3 sleeve with the bartacks.(Early skyhooks from RWS only)

2. NEW style Red type 3 sleeve with the Gold/Yellow 301 stitch (RWS / UPT) & BLACK 301 stitch from Sun Path.

The OLD style based on the Type 3 sleeve with split cords inside at top side & center hold by bartacks & creates lump/shoulder in the line > "full round" to "full flat" areas in the lanyard like end of a finger trapped line was cut straight & not with a long taper, for that reason the ENDS of the internal cords have a chance to lead to Red lanyard failure.

Failing at 2" below the "Collins Lanyard" is at the lower point of the top internal cord or in the "FLAT" area between 2 "LUMPS/SHOULDERS" - it might fail at the lanyard diameter change points "Fat to Flat/shoulder" which is a weak point.

Size & the weight of the canopies in the system might also be a factor with the forces created at the main canopy release process.

The NEW Red lanyard is based on the same Red Ty.3 sleeve which is finger trapped from both side all the way from side to side which is stronger & most important it is now a FULL FLAT lanyard with NO diameter changes.

Does it is "Full Fail Safe" ? nothing will stand this title - see Bill's post.

I saw some skyhook activation: sport & sigma - cutaway & total - never had an issue.

If any RWS/UPT rig in the market still use the OLD lanyard style it better be replaced with the UPT NEW lanyard on all V3: Sport, Student, Military & all Sigma h/c. The cost is low & the benifits are high.

There is no RWS/UPT call on that but the lanyard was changed for a reason.

Happy New Year & a SAFE New Year !!!

thanks Bill.

i have not lost any faith in the skyhook, was just curious as to why that might have happened. as someone that's had 4 "real" skyhook rides, i know firsthand that it works quite well. this last one was pretty scary though, and looking back (after seeing the broken lanyard) i thought there might have been a particular reason the reserve was wrapped around my neck upon deployment.:P

either way, it worked out.

i don't remember which model of skyhook this one was, (i've had both) but i think it was the newer one. i lost the freebag so i can't be sure.

anyway, thanks to everyone for their input!:)
cheers!

~E :)

Hi Sandy,

Yes there is.

To describe any of these devises correctly in a medium such as this ( the internet ) would take a tremendous amount of typing, and then someone would begin nit-picking just about everything that you write which would result in only more confusion ( which I want to avoid ).

Tom had a ( to me ) particular interest in knowing how one of these systems works ( a specific feature question ) and, due to the specific concern that he mentioned, I thought that the best way would be to get some specific info from him. From that I can get some very specific information for him regarding the RAX System.

That's a lot of 'specifics' isn't it? Sorry.

The actual result is that ( if he provides me with his address ) I will send him a mockup & the instructions regarding assy/packing which will provide him with some information regarding his concern.

I am NOT trying to be secretive about the system. It is just that trying to describe the system and how it works, by use of my keyboard, is simply not that easy; and would lead to further misunderstanding ( IMO ).

I will be at PIA/Reno with a mockup of the RAX System so those that might have some interest can hunt me down and I will gladly show it to anyone who has an interest.

I do not have a lot of mockups to send to just 'everyone' and it does cost me money to send this stuff around the world; which I have been doing.

Does this answer your question?

JerryBaumchen

PS) Additionally, I will not make comments that could be taken negatively regarding anyone else's system; or at least I hope that I never do that.

Well, as Bill Booth said the discussion here is about the probability of an event B which depends on the probability of an event A to happen. It's a bit like doing a cut away from a main malfunction and get a reserve mal right after. For sure it can happen but with such a way of thinking why not choosing doing scuba diving instead.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.