PeteS

Repack minder

Is there a computer whizz out there that could write a program to show repack ranges. Say, if todays date is xx/xx/xx, it would show the date before, 180 days and the date in the future 180 days.I would be great if it could be a feature here on this forum. I challenge somebody to do it first, and best. Good luck, prizes to the winner to be announced later. ;)

Just to clearify. both mine and Pauls idea have a bug.
if you open the spreadsheet tomorow it will say the repackdate will be one day plus. (26:th of june instead of 25:th of june)
and that is because we both used the =today() function.

i could make a work around for you if you need it.

(Did you save it when you closed it?)

Don't save it when you close it.

If you save it, the reference to Today() gets changed to today's date, and tomorrow it is broken.

If you don't save it, then it stays as a reference to the function Today() and all is well.

Is that what you are talking about?

I've been using this script for years, except recently I changed the 120s to 180s.

Maybe you misunderstand how I use the spreadsheet.

On the day I repack a rig, I open the spreadsheet and it tells me the last date the rig is good on. It also tells me the earliest pack date that is still legal today. I need that when I want to know when rigs must be packed for our boogie.

If I want information about a date other than today, I enter that date in the box labeled "Today". Then it tells me the information for that date.

So, what is the bug?

Here is a variation on the MS Excel theme:

Note that it will tell you in text if the rig is current or not, and the color of the text field will change from green to red when the rig expires.B|

No rocket science here (nor brain surgery either). ;)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Is there a computer whizz out there that could write a program to show repack ranges. Say, if todays date is xx/xx/xx, it would show the date before, 180 days and the date in the future 180 days.I would be great if it could be a feature here on this forum. I challenge somebody to do it first, and best. Good luck, prizes to the winner to be announced later. ;)

eh, i was bored, here you go...
uses the current date on your computer, and gives you the date that your reserve had to be packed on/after and if packed today, when it will be due...
grr... its just over the 300kb limit... heres a direct link to it
http://robert.branzone.com/Downloads/repack.zip
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

it doesnt matter if you save it or not, today is today.
what i meant is that it could be used in such a way that there is a bug.

lets say you repack today, open the sheet and sees that its 26:th of june the repack date is.
if you dont write this down somewhere, and just rely on the sheet.
next time you open the sheet it wont say the repackdate is 26:th of june since it will use =today()+180.

someone that doesnt know how the sheet works might use it the wrong way.
just a heads up, no worries Paul

You can use a very simple method with just a calculator - or even a pencil and paper, with some simple addition and subtraction.

We'll use today's date for an example, Jan 23. Plus 180 days is 203. Then you subtract out 31 for Jan (172), 28 for Feb (144), 31 for March (113), 30 for
April (83), 31 for May (52), 30 for June (22). 22 won't go another month, so a reserve packed today will be due AFTER July 22nd.

If this sounds tricky, it isn't. You can do it anytime and anywhere, without some fancy program. And it works for any time of the year. the only thing that ever changes is adding an extra day for Feb. in the leap years.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

ahh, the julian date math...

im too lazy to look up whatever julian date it is, so, i wrote a program to do that too

:D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message