Brodes

F1 vs. Human

If I was to lay in a shallow ditch, and have an F1 car drive over the top at maximum speed, what would happen to me??

This question has perplexed me for a long time, and you crazy bunch of people are probably the best to ask for an answer :)

Possibility one:

You get sucked out the pit

or

The F1 goes airborne due to the interruption of the airflow between the car and the surface.

Ok thank you you can send the new rig to me.
(The price was a new rig wasn't it??)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

These answeres suck people! Where are the dz physicists?? I want to hear how your body would get ripped apart due to the ground effects/downforce!!

or something like that... ;)

Okay, I'll be the one to do it.....

Your body would be ripped apart due to the ground effects/downforce...........or something like that. :|

Happy now? B|:P:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I doubt any thing would happen... the downforce created by the wings on the F1 Cart don't force the earth up to the F1 but the F1 down to the Earth...

You should try it... :P;) I'd be interested in if I'm proven wrong... B|

[Bill Engvall voice]Here's your sign[/Bill Engvall voice]
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

okay, i'll have a theoretical go at it. thecars have enough downforce that the can a) hold themselves to a ceiling at 120mph and b) suck up manhole covers on street courses. i heard they have to weld any manhole covers along the route down to prevent this. that said, if you were laying in a shallow hole the size of your body (like cartoon characters when they fall off cliffs), you would probably get pulled out of it, like the manhole covers. it might not lift you completely, but it would probably be enough to suck up an arm or leg. i figure you would get caught on something and rolled into a large, wet ball of roadkill, and the car would end up out of control.

in your ditch scenario, i have no idea, but i would guess you'd be fine, since there was so much air under the car already, it would never develop enough downforce to move you.

if you find someone to test the theory, let us know how it works out.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I'm guessing pretty much zip. Whatever forces acted on your body wouldn't be able to accelerate you up fast enough to come into contact with the car before the car is gone. It's going to be doing over 200mph.

As for there being much of a force... I don't buy it. Car's have down force... not up force. The air hitting the front of the F1 car is forced up and over thus creating a high pressure above the car.

The bottom of the car has a smooth flat wooden board on it which allows the air under the car free passage. Result is the air under the car is as close to normal pressure as possible.

Think thats not quite right - hi end race cars such as lemans cars and a number of single seaters have ground effect venturis that actually "suck" the car down, but Formula 1 actually has that limited to slow the cars down a bit (the infamous "plank" that they had to have fitted to the underside)
So there probably would be some effect but i think the speed would negate it.

of course i may be talking complete bollocks. I know one of the williams guys who makes carbon fibre bits so i'll ask him if i see him!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I doubt any thing would happen... the downforce created by the wings on the F1 Cart don't force the earth up to the F1 but the F1 down to the Earth...

Actually . . . what you said is the same thing. While the earth doesn't exactly move, it would if it weighed the same as the car. Remember newton and the whole equal and opposite forces? Statics people, come one! wow I am a nerd.

Actually . . . what you said is the same thing. While the earth doesn't exactly move, it would if it weighed the same as the car. Remember newton and the whole equal and opposite forces? Statics people, come one! wow I am a nerd.

SHHH, I know that... :D:D:D I'm just trying to get someone to try it... :ph34r:

Actually, I'm thinking that this should be a job for Mythbusters... (using "Buster" the crash test dummy of course...) and they can even make an RC F1 Cart... that'd be fun...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Actually, I'm thinking that this should be a job for Mythbusters... (using "Buster" the crash test dummy of course...) and they can even make an RC F1 Cart... that'd be fun...

I'd like to see the Mythbusters tackle this problem. Anyone willing to contact them? You never know, they just might be intrigued enough to try it, yes with a crash test dummy, of course... :D

Where has Winsor Naugler been these days? I haven't seen him post on here lately. Of all the DZ.commers on here, he's the one that can analyze any situation to death! :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Think thats not quite right - hi end race cars such as lemans cars and a number of single seaters have ground effect venturis that actually "suck" the car down, but Formula 1 actually has that limited to slow the cars down a bit (the infamous "plank" that they had to have fitted to the underside)
So there probably would be some effect but i think the speed would negate it.

I would tend to disagree. I had an aerodynamics professor who worked for one of the big F1 teams for a bit, and he certainly seemed to indicate that the verturi effect in F1 is huge. I would bet a human body wouldn't do a whole lot though. Considering the short impulse of a fraction of a second that the car passes over, it wouldn't produce enough force to lift your body out.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I have an idea, you'd go deaf (or at least get a massive headache).

Have you heard the noise F1 cars make at full revs?:P

Hmmm... I wonder which is louder - F1 cars or Nascar stock cars at full revs/speed? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd like to see the Mythbusters tackle this problem.

In order for them to want to, I assume that there would actually have to be a myth to bust.

In this case there doesnt seem to be one. Just a bunch of skydivers wondering "what if?"

Maybe if there was a show called

"Guys that do stuff just too see what would happen"

That would be a good place to do it.

I'd watch B|
__

My mighty steed

I'd like to see the Mythbusters tackle this problem.

In order for them to want to, I assume that there would actually have to be a myth to bust.

In this case there doesnt seem to be one. Just a bunch of skydivers wondering "what if?"

Maybe if there was a show called

"Guys that do stuff just too see what would happen"

That would be a good place to do it.

I'd watch B|

You mean like a "Hey Bubba, watch this!" show? I'd watch it too! :D

back when my friends and I were all drag racing, we spent hours upon hours in our garages and shops workin on our cars. so many times we got bored and did stoopid stuff.
We even had the token drunk guy that couldnt tighted a bolt w/o help that sat on on of the old car seats we had laying around.
that would have been great!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

If I was to lay in a shallow ditch, and have an F1 car drive over the top at maximum speed, what would happen to me??

This question has perplexed me for a long time, and you crazy bunch of people are probably the best to ask for an answer :)

Sorry if it was already said here.

I thaught the following.

You will be attracted to the race car for the time the car is over you. This is a result of the law of Bernouli, which states that the faster a fluid or gas moves, the lower the pressure gets (yes, I know it sounds like it should be the other way around, but it is like this). So, because the race car moves so fast, you should be attracted to it. But, because the car moves at such a high speed it will be over you before before you will even notice the attracting.
You can feel this attraction force when you drive on the freeway. When you pass a heavy truck you can feel suddenly attracted to it. This is the same effect.

So, I think not much will happen, you'll probaby only shit in your pants ;). I think that also the shape of the pit it important. If it is only two meters long where you just fit it, it will create another effect then it is very long and the cars drives already a long time over it.

The car will probalby not get lifted up, because a low pressure area will be in the pit. So it should stick to the ground.
Well, you will probably need to incalculate they aerodynamic aspects of the car, but I know nothing about that.

I'm a student in physics, but well, I failed all my exams but one, so... ;)

Thijs :)