Megatron

Critical Packing Steps

Just wanted to get a general consensus here:

What do you feel are the most critical steps in packing a parachute in order from what you feel is absolutely crucial for a functional opening to something you think you can probably get away with given a little luck.

From what I gather it goes like this:

1) Lines in the center
2) Correct bridle routing and closing pin setting
3) Slider quartered and grommets pushed all the way up
4) Good line stows
5) Brakes set correctly
6) Excess brake line stowed properly

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that as long as I knew my rig was packed with those 6 things done correctly...I would jump it knowing the rest was done by a blind monkey.

Seriously, though..how does that list look to you guys? Anything to add, remove, rearrange?

One of my DZO's/riggers says you really only need to do three things, clear the lines, stow the brakes, keep the lines in the center. He's never had a cutaway so I believe him, and he's packed in the front seat of his van. He also watched most of the jumps of that guy in Indiana that made 50 jumps on his 50th birthday. He made his first jump like normal. The other 49 were with the canopy in a paper grocery bag. He set his brakes, did his line check, and placed everything in the bag neatly in order. He would jump out and throw the bag.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

For a merely *functional* opening, all you really need are cleared lines.

For a *soft* opening, all you really need is the slider against the stops.

Lines in the center prevents burnholes, bridle routing is overrated as long as it'll open, line stows are overrated (locking stows are not :)
Cocking your pilotchute sounds like a good idea though. :)

Johan.
I am. I think.

Every pack job I have done on every parachute the idea is for the lines in the middle and fabric on the outside. Keep that wind channel clear and it should be pretty good. The only exception to this rule is on triangle parachutes. Then this is somewhat out the window. But most people don't have to worry about that.

It's a good idea to check line continuity before starting to pack, many have jumped step through when they were not careful.

That's number one, two, and three. Check your line continuity and everything else will be alright. Number four would be remembering to set your breaks, five is lines in the center, six would be set your slider and pilot chute (if collapsible), and finally proper container closing sequence.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

you can pay someone to pack for you, but i prefer to pack for myself... as do alot of people

its not really all that hard once you get the hang of it, and ends up saving a nice chunk of beer money(i mean change)

i know if i pack it, and i get a mal... it was my fault, and i cant blame anybody but myself for it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

4 pack jobs roughly equals 1 jump ticket. If you are at a boogie and make 28 jumps, and pay a packer to pack them all for you, you could have bought 7 more jump tickets/160 dollars in beer/or actually have enough gas money to make it home, since otherwise you would have blown all your money at the boogie.

First of all, excellent reminders from everybody here about packing.
Now about using a packer. This is a good idea to have somebody pack for you when being at a boogie or record attempt if you have just an hour or so between jumps since briefing, debriefing, relaxing, logging, boarding take a certain time. Having a packer relieves you when being under pressure.
OTOH you have to keep an eye on your equipment and inspect it and pack it after a boogie. Doing preventative inspection will tell you what part has to be replaced soon and this is why you have to know your rig and being able to inspect and pack it. It's a good idea too to set up the brakes and prepare the collapsible slider when you use a packer.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.