charly

help with leg straps please

hi all. i've just baught a new rig but the leg pads come a little short. the actual straps are long enough to fit comfortably round my thighs though so i was wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to order and fit new leg pads to the harness.

any idea how much this costs PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

If you have an rig with hip rings, no problem, a master rigger can fix that. Otherwise it is way more complicated and ask to your rig manufacturer.

thanks for the reply. i've got a g4 so its got the hip rings. i just hope it ent pricy

Email the company, include pictures with the rig on to show the fit of the rig. See what the company says. Mirage may be willing to help you out, especially if the mistake was on their end and not due to bad measurements.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If the straps are the correct length and just the padding is to short then no biggie. As AD said email the pics I think Mirage will definately take care of you. They wouldn't have to change the harness just add correct length padding to the leg straps you already have.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

If you have an rig with hip rings, no problem, a master rigger can fix that. Otherwise it is way more complicated and ask to your rig manufacturer.

I dont understand why you think the hips rings make it any easier to install new leg pads. It pretty much the same procedure for a harness with or with out hip rings. In fact, either way you slice it I find it hard call it master rigger work. Replacing leg pads is not a major repair or alteration.
Simply contact the manufacture and have them send you a new pair of leg pads that fit.Then find some one with a zig zag that knows how to use it and your problem is solved.
I would charge no more than $20.00 for that service Just saying so that you dont, get hosed
-K

It can be done wrong. You can damage the webbing removing the old pads. You can sew the new ones on with a dull needle and damage the webbing. You can cut harness threads trying to cut pad threads. You can sew the pads on so that they are loaded before the webbing.

So a zig zag that is strong enough to get through the webbing and someone who knows how to do it with out damaging anything else. You need to know what you don't know and find it out to do right. Certainly I would recommend an experienced rigger. I agree doesn't need to be a master rigger but last years newbie may not have enough experience or the right sewing machine.

But shouldn't be an issue for the original poster to have done competently. I might charge more than $20 depending on how much stitching to remove. But probably not.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yup!
Twenty minutes work for a Master rigger - who has done it before.

... or twenty hours for a newby ...

That's a little exaggerated. Twenty minutes for anyone with reasonable sewing skills who has done it, or something similar, before. It's certainly not master rigging.

I recently replaced every stitch of a "Master" rigger's work by the way. Not a knock to Master riggers, just a blow to the title if that's all I had to go by.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I was implying that - if you do not understand what you are doing - your blunt needle will damage the leg straps and you will waste twenty hours learning how to replace leg straps.

Gotcha... thanks. Makes better sense.

When I go back to the DZ and pick up the parts (should be by next weekend), I'll either send them to you or send good quality pictures.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How about Supertack (TM)? Do you really have to neatly zig zag the leg pad on a $ xxxx.99 machine or can one tack it in place by hand - takes 1 minute per side.
As for webbing damage - look at your rig - likely cable housings and other small stuff is supertacked to the lift web without loss of integrity.
Any Master Rigger opinion?

<<>>

I agree with you. My answer was for a too short leg straps but Terry has a good point. Leg straps have to support the whole opening load which can reach almost 2000 pounds. I would be very careful to remove the padding and put a new one. You wouldn't believe how fragile a webbing under high tension can become when it is very slighly damaged especially on the edges.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

It can be done wrong. You can damage the webbing removing the old pads. You can sew the new ones on with a dull needle and damage the webbing. You can cut harness threads trying to cut pad threads. You can sew the pads on so that they are loaded before the webbing.

Guess I forgot to mention to watch out for knuckle headed riggers. My bad.
Still, it shouldn't be too hard for some who has more than two brain cells to rub together.

Still, it shouldn't be too hard for some who has more than two brain cells to rub together.

Remember, for the most part riggers are a sub set of skydivers. NOW reconsider the above comment.;)B|

Really just trying to educate newbies that not all riggers are gods. I see too many comments that say ask 'a' or 'any' rigger. Or master rigger. I'm a master rigger and I do know how much I don't know.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE