jeanette

New canopy?

I have a Sabre2 150 with a WL of .79 right now. While I like the flight characteristics and flare of the Sabre2 I do not like the openings- extremely long sinvel (around 800-900ft) off heading quit a bunch, rocking (sometimes violentley) and end-cell closure EVERY time. I know that my WL is very low and that is something I am considering a factor as well, but I feel that maybe the Sabre2 is not the correct canopy for me. I was wondering if just downsizing to a 135 would help with the openings or if I should consider a new canopy all togeather. Any suggestions?

Most newer canopies open that way (700-900ft) You can pull the nose out a little to speed up the openings. As far as the off heading, Mine opened right 90 every time. Most people I talk to that jump sabers say the same thing. Demo is the way to go. Try many different canopies. Its all up to the jumper on what canopy they like.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I am afraid the kind of opening you have is the price to pay to fly a nine cells ZP canopy. I had a Sabre 2 doing off heading openings but it got quiet within a second or so. Now your very low loading is a contributing factor for slow opening. You should contact Performance Designs and maybe they will suggest you to use another slider. OTOH you might have a trim problem. If your canopy is not new it maybe it would need to be relined. Or trade your canopy for a Sabre 1>:(.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Wow, I got slammed every time on my Sabre. Try having another experienced jumper you trust pack it for you a few times after telling them the problems you've been having. If packing doesn't solve it, demo other canopies.
Well behaved women don't often make history.

Slider size can have a big impact on how fast something opens but I wouldn't want to just start picking up different sliders and playing with them. Talk to PD and see what they say.

Off heading isn't uncommon but I find end cell closure is often related to packing. Sometimes when I use a packer I will get endcell closure every jump but when I do it myself it's very very rare. That's just my experience with the sabre2.

-Michael

I have a Sabre2 150 with a WL of .79 right now. While I like the flight characteristics and flare of the Sabre2 I do not like the openings- extremely long sinvel (around 800-900ft) off heading quit a bunch, rocking (sometimes violentley) and end-cell closure EVERY time. I know that my WL is very low and that is something I am considering a factor as well, but I feel that maybe the Sabre2 is not the correct canopy for me. I was wondering if just downsizing to a 135 would help with the openings or if I should consider a new canopy all togeather. Any suggestions?

Buy a Spectre;)

Buy a Spectre;)

Buy a STORM!! It's the new Spectre ;)
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

Buy a Spectre;)

Those open too slow and don't land well.

Buy a Spectre;)

Those open too slow and don't land well.
I like slow openings.
Spectres land fine, provided the steering lines are set correctly and provided you finish your flare ;)
I would have bought a Spectre 190 had I not demoed a Storm 190.
As I've said elsewhere, the Storm is NOT "the new" Spectre.
All other factors being equal, the Storm is definitely a more challenging canopy than the Spectre. Both have their own characteristics, but which canopy suits you is something you have to find out for yourself.

Under Dutch rules one would need 100 jumps for the Storm and 400 for a 135, so the only thing I have to say to the OP is that downsizing so you'd get faster openings is a REALLY bad idea.
The flight characteristics of the canopy will change too, perhaps radically. Like others have said, change the type if you must, not the size. Perhaps you could look at canopies known for 'enthusiastic' openings, like the original Sabre. Be advised though - the only thing that canopy has in common with your current canopy is the name. Make sure you demo it (or any other canopy) before you buy..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom