SimpleJack

Have all the riggers started complaining yet?

From Part 105: Definitions

Parachute operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

This links the rigger after he or she has packed the rig as they would not be jumping an un packed parachute!

It is useful to see that definition. You emphasized "certificated parachute rigger" and then I emphasized "can involve". So it is just saying that riggers are part of parachuting operations in general.

I don't see that it says that riggers are responsible for all actions involving the rigs they packed (including pouring battery acid on them) during the 120 or 180 days.

I'd only believe that if one could find some language that stated that everyone involved in the operation were responsible for everything being correct at all times -- sort of like the pilots being responsible for jumpers' rigs being legal when conducting parachute ops from their plane.

(Which we know is silly but that's the way it is written. Then it is another matter whether in practical terms the pilot would face any sanction -- probably not for an expired reserve on a jumper that they didn't know about, maybe yes if letting people do chuteless or non-TSO BASE rig jumps from their plane.)

My customers are by and large repeat customers. It matters little whether I'll be sued 30 days after a repeat I&R or 150 days after an initial one.

My best defense is to be the very best rigger I can.

The real losers (in a couple senses) are those skydivers and pilots who choose their riggers based on price.

Mark

If my reserve doesn't work I'm not going to sue my rigger. I do plan on aiming for his car though. ;)
I don't complain about what repacks cost. It didn't seem like a big expense before, and will come around less often now. I will want a very thorough inspection and the security that comes from well maintained equipment. It costs what the rigger says it costs. If I cared about money I wouldn't skydive.

But what do I know?

New proposed repack cycle is five years.

$50x3=$150
$75x2=$150
$750x.2=$150

I'm sure you won't mind paying $750 for a repack. Good deal for the riggers though.

Oops, turns out the new cycle is 30 days!

$12.50x12=$150

Interesting logic. No sweat for the riggers, right? Just sayin.

What benefit to anyone should the longer pack cycle create? Should the jumper and the rigger benefit equally? (reduced prices for the jumper, less labor for the rigger) Or what?

In the end neither the recreational jumper nor the rigger will set the price. It will more likely be determined by the DZOs.

I need another glass of wine now, no interest in taking sides.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

New proposed repack cycle is five years.

$50x3=$150
$75x2=$150
$750x.2=$150

I'm sure you won't mind paying $750 for a repack. Good deal for the riggers though.

Oops, turns out the new cycle is 30 days!

$12.50x12=$150

Interesting logic. No sweat for the riggers, right? Just sayin.

What benefit to anyone should the longer pack cycle create? Should the jumper and the rigger benefit equally? (reduced prices for the jumper, less labor for the rigger) Or what?

In the end neither the recreational jumper nor the rigger will set the price. It will more likely be determined by the DZOs.

I need another glass of wine now, no interest in taking sides.

If I understand you then I agree.

along with another post in this thread that says the DZ's will most likely set the price anyway.

I takes me 4 hours to do an inspection and then repack. I a more interested in how much I get for my time than I am how much I get from some jumper over the course of a year. But that is just me I guess
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln