SimpleJack

Have all the riggers started complaining yet?

I’m interested to know if the riggers at your dropzone have threatened to raise their price on reserve repacks when the 180 day repack cycle goes into effect.

Have they began whining about what an unfair financial blow this is, that they can no longer charge you 3 times per year anymore. Have they moaned about how this will be a crushing financial blow that will put them out of business? BOO HOO!

Just curious.

Yes, prices have gone up here. If you don't like it then pack your own f'ing reserve you whiney bitch;)

BWAHAHAHA!!!

thats one way to put it!!

I&R prices have increased in this neck of the woods also. it is what it is, I'm not a rigger so I just abide.

you gotta figure you can't please every skydiver no matter what..[:/] bunch of $20 hookers. if you stick it in they scream because they can't take it. if you pull it out they cry because they want more

:)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Them riggers make way too much as it is :P. The good ones around here will probably like it now that they aren't going to be swamped all the time. $55 for 4 1/2 hours of work isn't very good. But I know a rigger(He packed my first two cutaways) that only charges $40, and he'll do it in 20 minutes.

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

while indeed it is "the same exact job", the rigger is responsible for his work an extra 60 days, so why shouldnt they be compensated??

Well, there's no sense in me complaining if you all are happy paying extra for it. I guess the extra dough will come out of your beer money.

Before I was a rigger - $50 seemed so expensive and frustrated me.

Now that I am a rigger - I kick the shit out of line twists even if the canopy is in a freefall dive - with "I don't want to pack tonight, I don't want to pack tonight" being my motivation.

A packer packing tandem and student canopies can make twice as much money per hour as a rigger!

But - I feel every serious skydiver should earn the rigger rating and take ownership of their gear and destiny.

I'm not a rigger so I just abide.

Why do skydivers tolerate that?

I can't answer why skydivers tolerate that

I can tell you why I tolerate that... because my rigger is a professional and I trust him. if he has to charge more for his services for whatever his professional opinion is on a matter then so be it.

there's people who cry about riggers not packing their reserve, no riggers av available and try to burn any given dropzone to the ground for bad rigging service or whatever.

I don't act like a bitch dude, so I don't usually have to wait around for a repack.

but just so this doesnt turn into some kind of pissing match....

I do understand what you are referring to...a bunch of riggers are crying about their income on that situation..
nobody twisted their arm and made them become a fucking rigger. so you gotta respect that
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Several haven't threatened or whined; they have just plain raised their prices.

But it's the same exact job. How much of an increase is it?

Isn't there anyone at your DZ that will do it for the same price?

Your argument holds no ground. I am not a rigger so I wouldn't like to see prices go up either but I do run a business and know a bit about supply and demand.

For example, if you were to order a custom container for yourself you may be qouted x amount. Order that same gear for your entire 8-way team and I am sure it will cost you considerably less. You can argue,"but it's the same container", unfortunately its the way things go. Prices will go up unless the 6 month cycle will generate more business from repairs, etc.. Riggers calculate their turnover from cash in on repacks. If their annual number of repacks is going to be lower then turnover is going to drop and prices are going to go up. Some riggers may leave their price the same but find other ways of subsidising. Charging more for repairs could be one way.

Riggers please take no offence, it's just my theoretical opinion.

While indeed it is "the same exact job", the rigger is responsible for his work an extra 60 days, so why shouldnt they be compensated?

The length of time a rigger is responsible for his work is the same; the length of time the owner/operator is responsible for continued airworthiness has increased by 60 days.

A rigger is responsible for delivering a parachute system that is airworthy. After that, the owner/operator is responsible for ensuring continued airworthiness, which includes pre-flighting equipment, knowing about and complying with new and recurring ADs and SBs, and returning equipment for maintenance if necessary.

I do not understand why a rigger would accept responsibility for something that is the owner/operator's responsibility.

Mark

Locally SOME riggers raised their prices for I&R of a reserve from US$ 60 to US$ 75 a few months ago. However, some riggers have NOT raised prices. Here is where the free market comes into play: Riggers are free to charge what they want and the jumpers are free to take their work to whomever they wish. As a result, I expect that things will balance out.

Let us not forget that the decision of choosing a rigger usually includes more than just price. Any of the following can play a role in the choice of riggers: location, reputation, demeanor, ability to do more than just repack, rigging equipment available, turnaround time, and price.

I am fortunate to live and jump in an area with about 15 riggers (there are probably others I don't know locally). As a result, we can let the law of supply and demand play out. If I lived and jumped somewhere that had few riggers, we jumpers would have less economic leverage. If you have too few riggers in your area and they can engage in monopolistic pricing... get your own rigging ticket.

No I am not a rigger....yet. I am working on my ticket. I spent several days this week working with a master rigger on my sewing skills. (Damn, the bar tacking machine is WAY COOL!!!!)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Try some simple math.

$50x3=$150
$75x2=$150

Where's the extra out of pocket money? Why the hell should you get an extra $50 beer money a year out of the rigger's pocket?

Me, I split the benefit. Didn't go up to parity but did go up some. Not even half. Needed to anyway so I'm not really ahead.

And the damn pilots that supported the 180 day cylce because it would cost them less only get their rigs packed once a year anyway.:|

Best idea? Get your own damn ticket so we don't have to put up with you. Then you'll get exactly what you pay for.

B'bye

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

D 5511 (USPA)

Scott you are lying again. That is not you D lic. number. >:(

You should also brush up on your math. If you get a repack every 120 days at $50 bucks a pop it would cost you $150 a year to keep you rig in date.

If you get it packed every 180 at $70 a pop it would cost you $150 a year to keep your rig in date. You cost of jumping due to what your rigger charges has not gone up at all. All your whining was for nothing. BOO HOO

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Frankly, Jack, I've heard no whining at all from riggers.

However, I've heard a lot of whining from jumpers, like your whine here.

Do the math, like many have pointed out. If you don't like paying the amount your rigger charges for a reserve repack, find another rigger or get your rigger's ticket yourself and quit your whining. :P

What baffles me about skydivers is their willingness to shell out lots of $$$ to go through student status and then shell out lots of $$$ for their first rig and then they piss and moan about having to pay $$$ on the up-keep of the device that SAVES THEIR LIFE EVERY TIME THEY USE IT! :Dgeeze

(365days in a year/180 new repack cycle)/(365 days in a year/120 old repack cycle)=.66666666 or 66%
This means that if a rigger didn't raise his prices he would only make 66% of what he used to make. Thats a huge difference! Therefore to make the same amout of money a rigger must increase his profits by 33%! So if it used to cost $50 per pack job and 365/120=3.04166667 that means the rigger used to make $152.08 a year from one jumper. If he is only going to make a 66% of that under the new cycle that means he is only going to make $101.39 from one jumper a year leaving a difference of $50.69. Since 365/180=2.02777778 packs a year under the new cycle we can take 50.69/2.02777778 and find that we must charge 24.9978082 or 25 dollars extra per pack to make the same amount which also means the jumper is paying the same amount per year. This means a 50 dollar pack becomes a 75 dollar pack (not a 70 dollar pack). To make it really simple 3*50=150 and 2*75=150 (2*70 does not = 150).

You must be Simple...

the search function is your friend...

a few threads on this subject already exist..

If you were that curious you would have taken a look at existing threads..

Look at this one

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3398763;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

[:/]

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!