reddevil1

Is skydiving a single sport,or not.

Single Male

Problem #1

With only about 5-10% of the sports participants being female, my chances of meeting a girlfriend in this sport don't seem very good. I'm still open for surprises though.

Problem #2

Whuffo women aren't interested in people who risk their lives like we jumpers seem to do. Yet the three things I enjoy most (Swooping, BASE jumping and Ground Launching) aren't exactly what you could call safe activities. I have opportunities with whuffo women through the co-ed volleyball league I play in. But you should see their reactions when I tell them what I do, or better yet show them video of myself and my friends jumping in Moab.

Disclaimer:

I am reasonably happy with who I am and where I am in my life. Having a partner would be a bonus, but it is in no way a requirement for me.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Whuffo women aren't interested in people who risk their lives like we jumpers seem to do.

They are interested in the aspect of you that you are fun and happy. They have a problem with why.

Conversation:
"What sport do you play?"
"Tennis/volleyball/rollerblade/pingpong"
"I love t/v/r/p, let's play sometime."

"Skydiving"
"I've always wanted to do that. Nice talking to you."

You spend all your money on it. It won't be an "us" sport. Their friends aren't going to do it with you, so you lose a social aspect. They don't want to hang with a guy who will develop a permanent injury.

Whuffo girls have excellent reasons for not dating jumpers.

What!?????!!!!???? :S Let me introduce you to Dan everyone who if it was up to him would invent a world with base-jumping pretend dogs (accuracy champs of course!);)
Anyway even and thats a big even, if you were right, dont knock it cos Tillyworld is on fire right now!

They are interested in the aspect of you that you are fun and happy. They have a problem with why.

Conversation:
"What sport do you play?"
"Tennis/volleyball/rollerblade/pingpong"
"I love t/v/r/p, let's play sometime."

"Skydiving"
"I've always wanted to do that. Nice talking to you."

Yep the worst pickup line to use at a bar
"I'm 32 and I live in a trailer on the Airport in Zhills".

"Yeah....Nice to meet you, I have to go."
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Try being a skydive chick trying to get a whuffo bloke. Nightmare!

You see this adds to the problem for us guys! there is under 10% of skydivers that are chicks, and you are trying to get a whuffo, help us out here would ya:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Wow, look at those results! It seems like a plurality of the skydivers who voted are single men! Good chances for me then!;)

Actually, we were just discussing this phenomenon at the dz this weekend. I was joking that I went down the list of sports when I was trying to pick a hobby and just chose the one with the best ratio of men to women. They laughed and said that the only other sport with a similar ratio is bowling.:P

I have been married to a very accomplished woman skydiver, and am now married to a whuffo. I don't see any real underlying biases either way. If anything, the problem for a person who has a lifestyle that is consumed by an interest is less likely to connect to others outside that interest.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

single here but a lot of the folks at my DZ seem to be involved with someone else.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Disclaimer:

I am reasonably happy with who I am and where I am in my life. Having a partner would be a bonus, but it is in no way a requirement for me.

Well said. I have found that I'm happy with myself.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I prefer dating whuffos.
----------------------------------------------------------
yeah thats because they have money to spend on their women.

Negative. I don't date anyone for their money.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!