likestojump

Buying a mint 40 jump canopy from a rigger - inspection

Half the time I am the seller, half the buyer, so I have seen both sides of this issue. In my opinion, I prefer eBay for online transactions. There is a structured system in place that can't be deviated from. The buyer has to pay first, before the seller sends the item. It seems to favor the seller, but there is a system of checks and balances to protect the buyer as well. It is not perfect (obviously), and it costs money since there are fees, but IMHO it is worth it. Especially for expensive items like skydiving gear. There is buyer protection and insurance that can alleviate much of the concerns discussed here. Buying and selling here is more like the wild west. The only time I ever bought a rig from a "stranger", they sent it COD, so I had to pay the deliveryman, after I looked over the gear for a minute. That seemed to workout well.

> I do not see how one skydiver can cheat another and easily get away with it . . .

They can and have - which is why some of us are a little gun shy when it comes to selling/buying stuff on line. If I know the person (as in have actually met them, talked to them and know their friends) I will be willing to do a blind exchange. Otherwise I'll get someone I know who is near them to act as agent.

it is irrelevant whose credibility is being questioned, as i believe any more information will skew the poll.

That depends on which side of the fence you happen to be on.

Buying and selling gear is something like being under 2,000 feet. You have no friends. You post here anonymously and yet you ask someone who has never met to trust you. NWFlyer figured out your motives for the poll and you took the ad down. How do you think this reflects on your creditability?

Sparky

ya know, Sparky - if you are going to state that I have motives, and judge me based on them, it would be nice if you respond and let me (us) know what those motives are.

Or is it a foot meets mouth situation ?

BTW, this is a 3rd request from me...

it is irrelevant whose credibility is being questioned, as i believe any more information will skew the poll.

That depends on which side of the fence you happen to be on.

Buying and selling gear is something like being under 2,000 feet. You have no friends. You post here anonymously and yet you ask someone who has never met to trust you. NWFlyer figured out your motives for the poll and you took the ad down. How do you think this reflects on your creditability?

Sparky

ya know, Sparky - if you are going to state that I have motives, and judge me based on them, it would be nice if you respond and let me (us) know what those motives are.

Or is it a foot meets mouth situation ?

BTW, this is a 3rd request from me...

It is my opinion that your motives are similar to your motives for making such an issue about what I think your motives are. :P Say that 3 times real fast. To defend your position of not using a broker for a transaction between 2 unknowns because you are so trust worthy. That’s your opinion and you are entitled to it. If other people what to operate that way that to is fine. Considering there are 3 pages of usernames in the Security and Scam Alert forum I think using a broker is a smart way to handle gear transitions.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=44;

I do know however, when I tried to buy a rig from you 12/12/06 you sent me a copy of your USPA card and insisted that I send you a check and you won't ship the gear until it clears. You also did not care to use paypal. How about them apples ?

I didn’t insist on anything, I just told you my conditions of the sale. And if you remember you declined to buy the rig under those conditions. Where is the trust, the “verify the sellers credibility”, the “verify the references and send the $$$”?
How about them apples?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I don't get you. How am I defending a position if that position was never stated ? How can one defend anything at all by asking people for their unbiased opinions ? If I wanted to defend MY credibility, I would have a poll with MY name in it, not with ambiguous information.

You are right however that both the motive for the poll and for pestering you to back up what you say are the same - I want to know what people(s) think. Pretty simple, really. Considering we all live in a personal bubble (some just have a larger one:), it's nice to know that what you think/say is practiced by some others.

Also, on the issue of 3 pages of usernames... Notice one similarity in them - none of them have ANY post history, blank profiles and most have registered shortly before emailing people, many have "users has never logged in". Also, if you ever got their emails, their English is terrible (I got PLENTY of them)

And the transaction that never happened between us ? It's absolutely irrelevant what happened after you named your terms (outside the scope of this arguement). All I stated was what your terms were, and to quote :
"I don't do Pay Pal. But I will take a personal check. You can check with some of the people on DZ.com to find out who I am or check with Perris. I have also attached a copy of my USPA membership card.
You send me a check, it clears and I send you the rig. If you agree to this I will mark it sold tonight."

That, taken with your responses in this thread, is borderline hypocrisy.

So yes, THOSE apples. How's that foot tasting ?

It's absolutely IRRELEVANT for this poll.

It's absolutely irrelevant what happened after you named your terms

IIt seems that anything you don’t like or agree with is “IRRELEVANT”. You seem to like that word. Well I can live with that. You are starting to nag like an ex wife so any further discussion with you would be “irrelevant”. Door closed.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It's absolutely IRRELEVANT for this poll.

It's absolutely irrelevant what happened after you named your terms

IIt seems that anything you don’t like or agree with is “IRRELEVANT”. You seem to like that word. Well I can live with that. You are starting to nag like an ex wife so any further discussion with you would be “irrelevant”. Door closed.

Foot meets mouth, just like I said.

It hurts when you are called on your faulty reasoning, especially of you cannot man up and say "I am sorry dude, perhaps I jumped the gun a bit."

Just so you know Irrelevant does not mean for one to invalidate the statement - just means its discounted as outside the scope of the argument. That by no means shows any preference or judgment for the said statement.

Oh, you also have a great way of avoiding responding to anything posed as a challenge to your reasoning - you just plow right ahead with more accusations of character fault.

have a good day and next time think twice and post once.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:For someone who says they are not thin skinned you do a very good imitation of someone who is thin skinned:D:D:D:D.
Get over your self, some people are more trusting than others some people are more trustworthy than others.
Having and intermediary is a smart way to keep both parties happy. Well both parties if one of those parties is not you of course:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ETA this from your profile

And I LOVE telling people how it really is - which usually involves telling them that they are whiny spoiled brats.

That is frigging hilarious:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: the word is I R O N Y;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I bought my rig through the dropzone.com classifieds. The previous owner took wonderful care of the rig, even though the main was not as new as yours. The deal was also brokered by a highly reputable dealer, who also posts on these forums. Even so, I had everything gone over by a Master Rigger. Not only that, but last year when I bought a brand new main canopy, straight from the manufacturer, I had the same rigger inspect the canopy before I took it up for a jump.

Let's not ever forget that for all the good clean fun we're having, our rigs SAVE OUR LIVES every single time we jump. You might never even have to use your reserve (it happens), but you're still depending on your main to save your precious heinie every jump. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Love your canopy and it will love you.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I bought my rig through the dropzone.com classifieds. The previous owner took wonderful care of the rig, even though the main was not as new as yours. The deal was also brokered by a highly reputable dealer, who also posts on these forums. Even so, I had everything gone over by a Master Rigger. Not only that, but last year when I bought a brand new main canopy, straight from the manufacturer, I had the same rigger inspect the canopy before I took it up for a jump.

Let's not ever forget that for all the good clean fun we're having, our rigs SAVE OUR LIVES every single time we jump. You might never even have to use your reserve (it happens), but you're still depending on your main to save your precious heinie every jump. Treat it with the respect it deserves. Love your canopy and it will love you.

+1 to that, I want it sent to my rigger before anything to make sure my butt lives to jump another day, not just because I don't trust people.

Of course if I meet somebody in person and I feel like your not gonna screw me then sure I'll send you the money, but you better believe my rigger is still gonna check it and if the smallest bit is wrong or different then I would definitely expect a refund.
"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"