ryan_d_sucks

Connecting the D-Bag

Hey. I'm trying to connect my d-bag and pilot chute to a newly acquired canopy. I'm USED to the connection point looking like this (pictutre 1), where the D-link attaches to the free end of the piece of cloth. (see pic)

However, on the Triathlon I got there is no free floating piece of cloth. Both sides of the cloth are sewn to the canopy, with the metal O ring (don't know what its called) in between them. Originally I put it together like this (picture 2), but the metal D-ring on the metal O-ring didn't seem like a good idea.

So then I tried putting it together like this (picture 3), with the D-ring from the Dbag going through the eye of the piece of cloth that is attached to the canopy.

Is this even close to right?

You may ask a rigger to make an extension and larks-head it to the ring and bridle (removing the rapid link). This is the setup I have in my rig. It increases the distance between bag and canopy a bit but works fine. One of the loops of the extension must be large enough to pass bag and PC through.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

. Pic3 is DISGUSTING, and I would smack anyone I see doing that.

Would you please elaborate as to why? It seemed most logical to me. But I have only hooked my bridle up to PD canopies before this, which have the attachment point shown in pic 1.

Setting it up the way it is in pic 3 seemed the most similar-- rapide link on cloth.. If the rapide link isn't supposed to pass through that cloth, why is there an eye in the cloth?

I think our student gear is set up like pic 2. It looks to me like you'll have to use the Rapide link since the bridle loop is too small for the D bag to fit through. Pic 3 looks okay to me, hopefully you'll get a rigger to answer.

Do what Ronaldo said. This is my bridle extension that I made for Psycho packing.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Would you please elaborate as to why? It seemed most logical to me. But I have only hooked my bridle up to PD canopies before this, which have the attachment point shown in pic 1.

Setting it up the way it is in pic 3 seemed the most similar-- rapide link on cloth.. If the rapide link isn't supposed to pass through that cloth, why is there an eye in the cloth?

there's many reasons why I think it's disgusting.

firstly you are introducing asymmetry and thus are partially promoting an offheading. Fairly irrelevant.

uneven loading of the load tape - instead of loading it in the center, between 3 sets of bartacks on each side, you are loading it off to the side, and only 2 sets of bartacks are there. Secondly, the ring is fairly tight between the 2 sets, thus lessening the amount it will jerk and possibly pull the stitching.

since you mention "logical" - how is it logical to hook it up while distorting symmetry, and hooking up to the weaker point in ?Also if we are really thinking logically, what's the purpose of that ring in the middle ? :)

there's many reasons why I think it's disgusting.

firstly you are introducing asymmetry and thus are partially promoting an offheading. Fairly irrelevant.

uneven loading of the load tape - instead of loading it in the center, between 3 sets of bartacks on each side, you are loading it off to the side, and only 2 sets of bartacks are there. Secondly, the ring is fairly tight between the 2 sets, thus lessening the amount it will jerk and possibly pull the stitching.

since you mention "logical" - how is it logical to hook it up while distorting symmetry, and hooking up to the weaker point in ?Also if we are really thinking logically, what's the purpose of that ring in the middle ? :)

just throwing out another possibility with this way, that ring is able to flip back and forth, smacking the rapide link over and over, that sounds like a bad idea to me
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

OK I see what you are saying, and I don't doubt that you're right. I'll change it back to pic2 and let my rigger take a look at it next week when I go see him. But can you tell me what the eye in the loading tape is for? Is the 'eye' just coincidental because aerodyne didn't reinforce it?

I thought about that last night as I was going to bed, I knew I'd seen metal to metal before. And most of the time that connection point will have tension on it so it won't be flopping around chipping away at each other, right?
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

you are correct. The only time there's really any substantial friction, is right before line stretch, when the connections loads.otherwise it stays in place fairly snug being pushed down by the packjob. one can always use a silicone bumper to prevent any of their worries.

How would a bumper help?

a) would prevent the metal slapping metal, the intended "bumper" function :)
b) pulled down far enough down the rapide, it will prevent any travel of the link.

Actually, a) would only be true if b) is true first. If a bumper on the link isn't snug to the ring, it will not stop the metal slapping metal.

I doubt that anybody would pay enough attention to that bumper, if the attention paid to slider bumpers is any example.

I've seen more than a few rigs with a ring and a link for a long time without any damage to either the ring or the link.

The way I see it, the real danger of the metal-to-metal contact is that a bit of canopy material will get in between the ring and the link.

I've seen lots of really little abrasions on the fabric that ends up near this junction when the canopy is bagged.

In designs where the ring pulls against the bag grommet (typically on a non-collapsible pilot chute) similar damage occurs when people don't take care to keep the fabric clear.

Most kill line designs don't easily allow fabric to get pinched in the bag grommet, so I when I see these abrasions on a kill-line rig, I presume they are from the ring to link connection.

A properly maintained bumper would help prevent this, but any secure non-metalic connector would work just fine. A Slink works great. I don't like using a soft link that has a metal ring here, just because we are trying to get rid of some metal, not add more.

This sort of attachment point works great with a conventional pilot chute that typically will have a large loop at the end of the bridle that can be lark's headed to the ring.

For a collapsible pilot chute, I recommend tossing the Rapide Link and using a soft link to attach the end of the bridle to the ring.

I have seen a few collapsible pilot chutes where the loop at the end of the bridle is large enough to allow a lark's head to the ring. These cover all the bases.

I have seen a few collapsible pilot chutes where the loop at the end of the bridle is large enough to allow a lark's head to the ring. These cover all the bases.

I think the underlying statement in your writeup is that we are just splitting hairs. If so, I agree wholeheartedly. a larkshead connection to the ring in my mind is the cleanest. I guess I was just pointing out the mechanics of the ring to rapide link setup in the very narrow scope.

I think the underlying statement in your writeup is that we are just splitting hairs. If so, I agree wholeheartedly...

Indeed. We are splitting hairs.

But it is so much fun to become engrossed in the finer points of rigging that I cannot resist.

Ask Hookitt. He knows me personally.:)(smile or wink... not sure which is more appropriate)

I think the underlying statement in your writeup is that we are just splitting hairs. If so, I agree wholeheartedly...

Indeed. We are splitting hairs.

But it is so much fun to become engrossed in the finer points of rigging that I cannot resist.

Ask Hookitt. He knows me personally.:)(smile or wink... not sure which is more appropriate)

once again, I agree, I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page and that you are just playing devils advocate.

and this world famous Hookitt person.... he knows me too.

and this world famous Hookitt person.... he knows me too.

Are you sure? I have found that there are several people here with variations of the "hook it" callsign.

If you know the one who posted here a few posts ago, you might know me too.

So, who the hell are you? You in NorCal?

I am referring to the homosexual one from NorCal.
right one ?

You guys... are assholes~!!! :D:D and your assholes are on the wrong gender for my liking.

No issue with that but the only thing true in the statement is I am from NorCal
Funny stuff.

Quit splitting hairs... hook the damn rapide to the ring and forget about it! :P (disclaimer: ok... don't actually forget about it... maintain as needed but it's fine!)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I am referring to the homosexual one from NorCal.
right one ?

You guys... are assholes~!!! :D:D and your assholes are on the wrong gender for my liking.

No issue with that but the only thing true in the statement is I am from NorCal
Funny stuff.

You are so quick with a compliment! Thanks! See you soon!