thedarkside

What kind of risers are these?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/johan422/Skydiving/3riser.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/johan422/Skydiving/3riser1.jpg

I was told that a's and b's go on the front riser, c's on the second and d's with brakes on the rear...What's the point of that?

Thanks!

*edit* Haven't been on this site in a while and the image code is kicking my ass!
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

They're called triple risers. You can do a search to find out the pros, cons, and thoughts behind them.

Blink

I did, and all I found on triple risers were the ones that had the brakes that come out from the rear risers.

Is this the same concept just differnt method?

here's a quote from another thread.

Triple risers have extra risers solely for the steering lines. Most of them also have an extra brake locking loop sewn to the middle riser.

These risers have an extra riser for an entire line group...not just the brakes.

I was told that a's and b's go on the front riser, c's on the second and d's with brakes on the rear...What's the point of that?

Thanks!

*edit* Haven't been on this site in a while and the image code is kicking my ass!

For Precision made canopies maybe? I can't attach the C and D lines to different risers with my velocity, they're cascaded.

Slightly odd risers indeed.

There's probably some other explanation, but those risers with 3 legs to them would work for a ParaFlite Evolution, that had spanwise cascades and used similar risers with 3 legs.

The middle riser would connect to the B lines only, and the dive loop on it would make it easy to do a B-line stall (as it is termed in the paragliding world) - a relatively controllable stall with the wing staying roughly in place and not collapsing. Or, pulling on one side only, as described in the Evolution manual, would produce a very quick turn.

While putting those risers and an Evolution together makes sense, I'm not sure why such a nice new looking set of risers would have been put together with an old, rare, quirky, out of production canopy like the Evolution.

I suppose one could use those same risers with any continuous line canopy without cascades. (Like a Xaos, right?) But why, I'm not sure. Pulling the front riser dive loop on such a 3 riser system would only pull down the A lines, not the A and B like on a normal setup. Pulling just the A's makes it very easy to tuck the nose under. It's all fun and games with a moderate sized Evolution up high, but deadly down low if one wanted to use front risers to set up for a swoop with a tiny canopy.

(And yes the term "triple risers" has confusingly been used both for risers with 3 full legs, and those that have the brake lines coming off an offshoot on the normal rear riser. I'm not sure if clearer terminology is available.)

Slightly odd risers indeed.

There's probably some other explanation, but those risers with 3 legs to them would work for a ParaFlite Evolution, that had spanwise cascades and used similar risers with 3 legs.

The middle riser would connect to the B lines only, and the dive loop on it would make it easy to do a B-line stall (as it is termed in the paragliding world) - a relatively controllable stall with the wing staying roughly in place and not collapsing. Or, pulling on one side only, as described in the Evolution manual, would produce a very quick turn.

While putting those risers and an Evolution together makes sense, I'm not sure why such a nice new looking set of risers would have been put together with an old, rare, quirky, out of production canopy like the Evolution.

I suppose one could use those same risers with any continuous line canopy without cascades. (Like a Xaos, right?) But why, I'm not sure. Pulling the front riser dive loop on such a 3 riser system would only pull down the A lines, not the A and B like on a normal setup. Pulling just the A's makes it very easy to tuck the nose under. It's all fun and games with a moderate sized Evolution up high, but deadly down low if one wanted to use front risers to set up for a swoop with a tiny canopy.

(And yes the term "triple risers" has confusingly been used both for risers with 3 full legs, and those that have the brake lines coming off an offshoot on the normal rear riser. I'm not sure if clearer terminology is available.)

Great post, the term "Triple Tier" is what I heard the risers with the brake lines extending from the rear riser.

Weird for sure, they are in brand new condition (no rides) and have the armor for the cut away cable.

I agree, the first thing that came to mind was perhaps a speed flying type of riser. I thought they like to connect more towards the hip though, but these are too short for that.

The Parafoil (at least the one in the photo and the ones I've seen) also have cascaded C and D lines.

Not sure what these were made for but it looks like the rear riser has had lines on it. Also dive loops on both the middle and front legs. Maybe put the outside A/B lines on one and the inside on the other so you don't have to pull down the whole front.

I seem to remember seeing a photo of a CRW camera man pulling down part of the front of the canopy with foot loops in order to stay with the formation ??? (I think that's what I remember:S) Could they be for that?

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE