Ronaldo

Stowing excess steering line on Infinity risers

Hi,
What is the correct method of stowing the excess steering line on Infinity risers? I could not find this information on the manual. I tried to use the loop on the back but it is too lose and does not hold the lines during opening.
PS - I could have asked this directly to the manufacturer but I know he posts here and this info may be usefull to others.
Thank you all

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

If you use Slinks its an easy way to create a malfunction when your excess line get stuck on the Slink tab. It has happened to a few people here, a search will find information upon those situations.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you use Slinks its an easy way to create a malfunction when your excess line get stuck on the Slink tab. It has happened to a few people here, a search will find information upon those situations.

AD, I was describing the direction from which I shove the line into the binding tape keeper. I go in from the top instead of from the 3 ring side as is shown in the OP's photo. I do not put the line through the top of the risers where the links connect.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'll try that also, thanks! I was folding it in half which didn't hold much. I think I'll insert the excess line from bottom to top to prevent the wind from removing it during opening.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I take the excess brake line, fold it in thirds and shove it in the keeper from the top of the risers. It holds the line well.

If this doesn't provide enough bulk, simply increase the number of folds to increase the bulk. My 79 doesn't have much excess brake line, and folding it in thirds works OK for me.

I don't know if I can explain this correctly but here goes.

I run the excess through the loop at the back of the riser then bring it to the front and loop it over the top toggle tab right along with the cat eye used for stowing the brakes. Then place the tab in the holder used for stowing the brakes.

I don't like any method that gives any chance for the excess line to come out before I release it along with the brakes.

I have seen too many people cutaway because they reach up to release the brakes and they end up with a half-hitch due the excess line coming unstowed before they are ready. I saw two cutaways this year alone due to that.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Just tell me, why are you looping back?

No way for the excess line to come loose.

Sure. Just like a big fat knot....

Before you poo poo the method, see if you can, with your infinite knowledge, wisdom and skill, make it become a knot. Get back to us after you give it a shot.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yeah, the pictures you attached show exactly what I was describing,

It has worked for me for several thousand jumps.

No excess line escapes before the toggle and brake is released.

Many people I've talked to over the years have cutaway for something that is so easy to avoid.

Good luck.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Hi phoenixlpr,
This method is similar to the one I used on my Wings risers but would not work on infinity risers because they don’t have elastic keepers. I doubt it would be possible to insert toggle and lines in the pocket.
Blue skies

Ok. Than I still would not loop the line excess back.

why not? What's the issue that you see with it? I've tried to be skeptical about this method in the past but have yet to actually come up with anything wrong with it. Please share your critiques.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Please share your critiques.

I don't feel comfortable looping the excess back anyway.
I don't think that could be more secure, they are a pain in the ass to use.
I don't like those excess line keepers without velcro.
I prefer risers with velcro.

"i prefer"
"i don't like"
"i feel comfortable"

those are all well and good for our own personal reasons, but it doesn't add much to the discussion unless unless you tell us why. At one point you mentioned something about a "big knot", but you didn't explain your assertion. Again, no "why"

So, very specifically, have you identified any sort of actual safety issue with the method in question? Or is this all just an "ooh that's weird and different" reaction? So far you haven't given us any reason to think it's anything but the latter.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time