Braz933

Best setup for soft openings

I have a Spectre 230...some of the slowest openings I've ever seen. For me it usually takes about 800 feet. For a couple other people who were using my rig this summer it sometimes took 1200 feet. I'm actually talking to my rigger about a possible mod to the slider to make it open a bit faster. :D

Thanks to everyone for the info..it definitely changed my perspective.

So here is what my perfect newbie rig would be, given my goal of the softest opening possible:

Container = Vector 3 with magnetic riser covers (and skyhook because it is clearly a great product, unrelated to soft opening)

Main = Pilot or Spectre (probably 210sqft for my size)

Reserve = TBD

Lines = Dacron

AAD = TBD, but leaning toward Vigil.

So....what are the odds I will be able to find this stuff used? From the few trips I have made through the classifieds on this site, I figure I will be buying some, if not all, of this stuff new. Whatever....I will not compromise. If I can't get it used, I will buy new. So be it. :)

Spectre/Pilot are not hard to find used. But most will have microlines on them. Realistically neither one you will hang on to long enough to worry about the lines being out of trim.

The reserve - there's lots of used ones out there.

The container would be the hardest to find used. Especially if you are not "regular" (5'10" 180 +-2 inches) or are picky about the colors.

good luck !