Braz933

Best setup for soft openings

What do you mean by tucking the nose on a Sabre 1 ? Is it putting the 4 side cell noses of both sides inside the middle cell ? If it's the case I agree that PD disapproved it. OTOH PD was recommending for the Sabre 1 (especially the big ones) rolling inward and creasing tighly the 4 side cell noses of each side and put them in the middle but not inside the nose of the middle cell. Just to make sure readers understand.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

After 600 jumps on a Sabre and 200 jumps on a Sabre 2 (evenly spread on 170s-135s) I have concluded that the ruling factor on Sabre openings is how you pack/quarter the slider. A little more slider out in between the front linegroups (less to each side) will give you a nice swivel, a little less will speed things up quite considerably, and no sider at all in front will slam you. Amazing how much difference just an inch will do... IMO it's all about packing.

Thanks everyone! Great stuff!

At this point, if I were ordering a rig, it would be...

Main = Pilot
Lines = Dacron
Container = ??
Reserve = ??
AAD Brand = ??

It is my understanding that the container has nothing to do with reducing or increasing the odds of a hard opening..correct? If that is the case, any advice on which container would be best for the Pilot main? I realize Aerodyne makes containers..and I have not researched containers yet...just thought I would ask.

It is my understanding that the container has nothing to do with reducing or increasing the odds of a hard opening..correct? If that is the case, any advice on which container would be best for the Pilot main? I realize Aerodyne makes containers..and I have not researched containers yet...just thought I would ask.

Its just like buying a car based on which air-bag can blow into your face the softest way.....:S

What is an AAD doing for a hard opening?

I read somewhere on this forum that people did tests and found out that certain types of containers can cause hard openings... had something to do with how raisers are stored in container (magnetic vs. tuck vs. velcro). Sadly I can't remember what the findings of those test were, but container do count.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Main = Pilot
Lines = Dacron
Container = ??
Reserve = ??
AAD Brand = ??

It is my understanding that the container has nothing to do with reducing or increasing the odds of a hard opening..correct?

I know everyone will have their own opinion on the AAD. I got a vigil. After packing a few reserves I was impressed by the construction. I found the cypres wires to be very flimsy looking. It also doesn't go in the trash after 12 years and you don't "need" 4 year maintenance but you can get it if you wish.

On the rig, however, the tuck tab issue may contribute to hard openings. I watched Booth's video from PIA and what he says about magnetic riser covers does make a lot of sense. For that reason I'd suggest a new vector-3 with the magnets.

For the reserve I flew a PD160R and a Raven once. Was so happy to see nylon over my head I didn't care how either of them flew! You're probably good with the PD product. I know their stuff is well researched and test jumped many times. You can probably even arrange to test jump a reserve you're considering.

-Michael

You're probably good with the PD product. I know their stuff is well researched and test jumped many times. You can probably even arrange to test jump a reserve you're considering.

-Michael

If one is PROBABLY good with a particular product, should they PROBABLY get it ?

yes, PD will send you demo reserves with a bridle attachment.

If one is PROBABLY good with a particular product, should they PROBABLY get it ?

I was probably tired when I wrote that. Probably I didn't have my coffee either. I probably like recommending products where they have a good reputation and I know they've probably been tested more than other products.

-Probably Michael

I was probably tired when I wrote that. Probably I didn't have my coffee either. I probably like recommending products where they have a good reputation and I know they've probably been tested more than other products.

-Probably Michael

one probably should not give advice based on third hand information.

one probably should not give advice based on third hand information.

I think it's probably first hand since I've probably stood next to the PD test jumpers in the airplane. Seeing the PD jumpers out testing stuff day after day was enough to convince me that their stuff is well tested.

-Michael

And their reserve work well. I had a total in last August and my PD 160 reserve opened fast and seemingly soft, inflated on heading, flew superbly and landed me softly. I was happy since I am a rather quite big guy.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.