vdcosf

looking for complete rigs

i am new to skydiving and i am looking to purchase a completed rig. i am 5'10,225lbs.and 48 yrs old. i will be starting my certification this spring.i want a slow easy ride down,no sport type rig.i appreciate help in this search. thank-you.

i am new to skydiving and i am looking to purchase a completed rig. i am 5'10,225lbs.and 48 yrs old. i will be starting my certification this spring.i want a slow easy ride down,no sport type rig.i appreciate help in this search. thank-you.

It's more common to wait to purchase gear after you've completed training. The people who provide your training should also be able to help you select equipment that's appropriate for you when the time comes.
Owned by Remi #?

Student rigs generally have some features you won't find (or want) on your own rig when you're ready to buy one. 5'10", 225lb does not sound unusually big. Student rigs should fit you just fine. Definitely don't buy anything without your instructors helping you choose something directly. Don't go at this alone or with advice from strangers... you may find that you waste a lot of money when your instructors won't let you jump with the gear you bought.

Dave

the student rigs that they have i am to big for .plus i want to train on the rig that i will be using once that i am certified.

As Dave said, you don't sound unusually big. Maybe you should look around for a DZ that owns student gear that will fit you.

Why do you want to train on the same gear you will use? Specifically your reason for wanting this. Is it something you read, something someone told you or just something you've decided all by yourself without a specific reason?

It's really, really rare for modern students in the US to buy their own gear. There's a reason for that. Why do you think you're an exception? I'm not trying to grill you, I'm wondering what your thought process is.

A good DZ will be using student gear that works the same as common sport gear. Call a few DZs and find out what they're using and why. If you have questions about their answers post them here for feedback.
Owned by Remi #?

my instructors are involved in my gear search.i am running everything by them and listening to there advice.i am retired military and for me learning on my own gear just goes hand in hand with my career.i also live 98 miles from the closest dz.i do appreciate all of the advice i am receiving. thank-you.

my instructors are involved in my gear search.i am running everything by them and listening to there advice.i am retired military and for me learning on my own gear just goes hand in hand with my career.i also live 98 miles from the closest dz.i do appreciate all of the advice i am receiving. thank-you.

Um well.... there are a lot of "retired military" folks around here. What exactly makes you different?

There a quite a few active and retired military static line and free fall instructors here. Shout out your name and military training. Maybe include an MOS or rating. That might help the locals give you gear advice. :S
Owned by Remi #?

Ok, if your instructors are involved, great. Just FYI: they don't allow the forums on this site to be used for buying/selling gear, so you're not going to get actual offers here. What you can do is search the forums (the topic of appropriate first gear comes up every other day), read the articles about gear (the Safety tab at the top), and get some ideas from your instructors for canopy types and sizes that might be right for you. Then go through the classifieds and find stuff that matches what you might be looking for. Email the ads to an instructor to take a look at.

Honestly though, buying gear while you are a student is not a good idea. I'm trying to think up a good military metaphor but I'm not doing too well. Maybe it'd be like using training grenades for battle or training with real grenades. Either you're going to buy gear appropriate for a student which you won't like in 3 months, or you'll buy gear not appropriate for a student and you risk seriously hurting yourself. Not to mention that it's unlikely your DZ will let you jump gear like that, so you're probably going to be buying training grenades.

Dave

Honestly though, buying gear while you are a student is not a good idea.

Hey Dave,

I think you've made a great point and you've no need to look for analogies. He's either going to think it through or blunder on. You've given good, solid advise either way.
Owned by Remi #?

I'm (near as damn it) the same height and weight as you (only I'm better looking). I got a sabre 2, 230, and I find it great. I thought at first that it might be a bit too big, but really, it's not. I find it to be a great all round canopy, for learning on especially. Had I known how much I would enjoy it, I wouldn't have hesitated at all and I'm really glad I made this choice.
Only drawback, or not depending on which way you look at it, is that it can be a bitch to pack, as it's ZP and big, however, I've been told that if I can pack this I can pack anything. So hopefully that's true, as I'm down to 40 minutes pack time now - compared to 3 hours. I'm not even joking.

I'm (near as damn it) the same height and weight as you (only I'm better looking). I got a sabre 2, 230

For a novice, that's probably not a terrible choice (I know at least one canopy coach who would disagree with the model, but that's a whole 'nother thread), though on raw wingloading it might be considered aggressive. If he's desperate to start shopping now, he could go that way.

The point of this thread is that there is absolutely no way people are going to let him jump that thing as a student, though.

I think the general trend of the advice here is on the money - gear appropriate for students is just not worth buying (unless you teach many students).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. I rented a 260 (not sure what the model was) and found that it came down reasonably fast, with a poor flare. Another one of my rents was a spectre 230, due to the fact that it was zp material, instructor recommendation. Vast inprovement over the 260 with a greatly improved flare. I found it a little fast/aggresive for my liking and was recommended the sabre 2. Anyway, tried the sabre and found exactly what I was looking for, however - and some people may laugh at this - but it can be fast/aggresive. It seems to come down "floatier" than a spectre, which I prefer.
Just a point to note which I found in my searching for a learner canopy - above 230 it's difficult to find zp, but I found a 230 zp slower descending and a better flare than a 260 f111.
Anyway I hope that helps.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. I rented a 260 (not sure what the model was) and found that it came down reasonably fast, with a poor flare.

Them why are you continuing the conversation?

What the fuck is it with certain people on this website?
I'm here sharing stuff with like minded people who I like to consider my friends. Why do you feel the need to be snotty? It's funny how when I'm face to face with people they don't say shit, but when they feel then can hide behind their keyboard they can be funny.
I'm sharing some information, in a polite manner, with somebody in a similar situation to me. There's no more to it than that. It might be helpful to him, or it might not be, the main thing here is being friendly and treating people how you want to be treated.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. I rented a 260 (not sure what the model was) and found that it came down reasonably fast, with a poor flare.

Them why are you continuing the conversation?

What the fuck is it with certain people on this website?
I'm here sharing stuff with like minded people who I like to consider my friends. Why do you feel the need to be snotty? It's funny how when I'm face to face with people they don't say shit, but when they feel then can hide behind their keyboard they can be funny.
I'm sharing some information, in a polite manner, with somebody in a similar situation to me. There's no more to it than that. It might be helpful to him, or it might not be, the main thing here is being friendly and treating people how you want to be treated.

LMAO.. You just figuring this out?

At least this way you know peoples true colours for when you meet them.

Just forget the keyboard gangstas

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

You will look back on this decision after you get your license and say...

"what the hell was i thinking."

i do appreciate everyone that has responded to help me with there opinion.i am not complaining about anyone.i am learning at a small dz and they don't have the student equipment that larger dz have.so,being that i really want to jump the rest of my life i need to get equipment for me to learn on.there has been good info about types of chutes that i should use and my instuctors have verified for me.thank-you. bob