ramon

DZCOM Mini Speed challenge

I'd be happy to host any Protrack databases (*.MD, *.DB, *.PX) you produce at www.speedskydiving.org
However, the league will be by it's nature informal. In the Speedskydiving world cup we use two recording ProTracks attached to the lateral webbing (side of the waist) as we've found this to be the most reliable aread as well as a warning audible near the ear. You'll need to standardise on the number of ProTracks and and the positioning. Most accurate would be two ProTracks on the lateral webbing (Version 2 of the software can average both sets of data if the jump numbers of the units are offset). Next would be one ProTrack on either the lateral or the ankle. The least accurate place is in the helmet.
If you are serious about this, contact L&B. You know how outstanding their Customer Service is. They may be able to loan a pair of units to your DZ for speed skydiving tryouts.
The actual data should be used in the league rather than scans of the ProTrack readout. The maximum speed can be quite misleading. You may get a single abnormal spike for you maximum speed and the rest of the dive is fairly normal. We once had a maximum speed indicated on a ProTrack of over 700mph during a competition once. And no, it wasn't Colonel Kittenger! Speedskydiving.org seems to be down at the moment. I'll post a link to the graph later.
As for safety, all the details are on the www.speedskydiving.net website. Please, you must have 200 jumps before you attempt this. A very freefly friendly rig is absolutely paramount. There is a nice picture of a rig that was ripped apart during a practice speed run due to a premature in the Powerpoint presentation on the speedskydiving.org website.
An audible is a must, preferably two (a visual one would be excellent) as well as the recording ProTracks. Full face helmets are better than open ones. We've had people who failed to hear their externally mounted audibles on Gaths at competitions and pulled low so we no longer allow gaths. Freefly experience is invaluable. If you are going to be attempting this head-down, you could be tracking all over the sky. Limit the number of jumpers doing speed runs on a load to 2 or 3. Turn yourself 90 degrees to the line of flight so that if you do track, you won't be motoring into another group.
200+ mph is not a good place to be if you have a premature. The gear isn't built to withstand that and neither of you. Know your gear and ensure that it is bullet-proof. Engage in Speed Skydiving knowing the risks and assume all responsibility.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions and finally,
GO FAST!
Craig

I'm a big boy and If I track I can do 93 mph.
My friend Levin I think can do low 80s.
You are effectivily converting your downward force into forward drive.
I dont think You can fall any slower just by fighting the wind blast and cupping air.
ramon

My friend Levin I think can do low 80s

in that track contest i did 79 and trey did 77. that was on the skydiver air speed setting on the pro-track not true air speed. the dz is at sea level. i'm wondering how slow i can go in my birdsuit. will have to borrow a pro-track and find out.

We will see who can beat my score as witnessed by Aggie and Nac (and will probably be published in Skydiving magazine).

what about 305 mph for starters ? I also have 315 mph graph, but it's at home.

on a side note, people had speeds up to 600 mph on pro-tracks placed on their ankles. that location is highly unreliable ...

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Holy shit this is an OLD thread that bubbled up from the bottom.

Shit, I had just a bit over 100 jumps when this thing was going on in 2002 at the Max Cohn FF event at Spaceland.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ha ! i never realized it was that old. it's actually my fault that it was brought up. i was looking for a post about results of speed competition in Spa 2 weeks ago and this one poped up. i didn't check the date, and just replied :)

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum