jtval

gypsy moths

So I finally found the gypsy moths on DVD.

just got done watching it. for a 1969 film it had some great shots of the actual jumps.

if you have a tower record/tower wow store near you go get the gypsy moths on dvd. even if you dont like the movie it was the FIRST for skydivers;)
My photos

My Videos

Is that the film where I believe, it was Raquel Welch landed in a swimming pool? Been years, since I saw that one. Im not sure but, I think, that movie became a t.v. series in the early 1950's (?).

Chuck

I think the series was Ripcord?? Not sure if Raquel was in that one.
Here is something interesting, Raquel was 22 y/o and it was either her 1st or second movie which had a skydiving scene. Hollywood contacted the FAA and they contacted my father to help with the scene.

I believe it was Phathom???

Long story short, after my father passed I found 3 reel to reel case's (18mm i think) and had them converted to SVHS. It was some jumps from 1968 and about 10 minutes of Raquel, my father, and John Berke, man was she Hot!!! Jerry presented her with a bikini (looked more like a bra and panties to me) and she loved it. Really cool stuff.

Thought I would share that.

Definitely watch the extras too. There was one segment where an arm was broken on landing, the stunt double gets up and finishes the scene.

yea I did watch the extra. and you are right with one exception. they weren't stunt doubles I.E professional stunt guys, they were regular jumpers who were hired for realism. one of them did break his collar bone and finised the scene with Burt Lancaster. (which is actually pretty professional of him):ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

You know you're old when of the stunt doubles in that movie (Jerry Rouillard) trained you for your first jump!

You should hear the stories he tells about the batwing jumps!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I first heard about the movie from posts about it here. After I saw it, I thought, Wow! With all the fabric in their jumpsuits, the large packs, etc., it looks scarier then the real thing. Having degreed in film, I found these of dramatic/cinematic interest (spoiler coming):
1.) Class conflict--the sedate whuffos dying inside their boring lives while the skydivers are careless with theirs, yet living it to the fullest.
2.) Rejection--after ole Burtie Lancaster gets some nookie from Deborah Kerr, he asks her to go away with him but she rejects the notion. She'd rather be safe and secure occasionally cheating on her dutiful yet uninterested husband. The next day he intentionally suicides the batwing jump (oooh, very cold scene.)
3.) Nudity (buttocks) late 60's--risque.
4.) Dramatic aerial sequences with streaming fabric, etc.
5.) Soundfx editing snafus (as in, when their chutes open they make a popping sound, sometimes out of sync.)
6.) Epiphany--several scenes of a high school band practicing are intercut with other sequences. All through the movie you're wondering, 'What the hell is that about?' Then, after Burtie goes in, the band marches into town for the big parade (?) but the town is empty--everyone is out at the dropzone for Burtie's memorial jump--another hair raiser.
7.) Death wish--during the fatal jump, the stands clear to surround and gawk at the victim. Although film invokes a suspension of disbelief, that scene was completely unrealistic to me. Except for first responders and a few bystanders who might try to help, most people would turn and walk away.
Overall, I don't think it's really a skydiving movie in the sense that it portrays the sport in a positive light.
I think it's more about life choices and how some choose to be safe and unfulfilled.

You're always the starter in your own life!

there was boobage in ther film too!;)
surprise at how much boob there was for a 1969 film.
the only bare boob was deborah kerr but there was the tassle girl etc. I was surprised to see that since we( I MEAN THEM) have gotten so outraged at the ocassional nipple slip in public etc.

seems we have regressed in the " i can see sex and not act like it is the most horrid thing I have ever seen of" dept.
My photos

My Videos

I first heard about the movie from posts about it here. After I saw it, I thought, Wow! With all the fabric in their jumpsuits, the large packs, etc., it looks scarier then the real thing. Having degreed in film, I found these of dramatic/cinematic interest (spoiler coming):
1.) Class conflict--the sedate whuffos dying inside their boring lives while the skydivers are careless with theirs, yet living it to the fullest.
2.) Rejection--after ole Burtie Lancaster gets some nookie from Deborah Kerr, he asks her to go away with him but she rejects the notion. She'd rather be safe and secure occasionally cheating on her dutiful yet uninterested husband. The next day he intentionally suicides the batwing jump (oooh, very cold scene.)
3.) Nudity (buttocks) late 60's--risque.
4.) Dramatic aerial sequences with streaming fabric, etc.
5.) Soundfx editing snafus (as in, when their chutes open they make a popping sound, sometimes out of sync.)
6.) Epiphany--several scenes of a high school band practicing are intercut with other sequences. All through the movie you're wondering, 'What the hell is that about?' Then, after Burtie goes in, the band marches into town for the big parade (?) but the town is empty--everyone is out at the dropzone for Burtie's memorial jump--another hair raiser.
7.) Death wish--during the fatal jump, the stands clear to surround and gawk at the victim. Although film invokes a suspension of disbelief, that scene was completely unrealistic to me. Except for first responders and a few bystanders who might try to help, most people would turn and walk away.
Overall, I don't think it's really a skydiving movie in the sense that it portrays the sport in a positive light.
I think it's more about life choices and how some choose to be safe and unfulfilled.

REALLY DEEP....I bet watching movies with you is ...uh...fun? :P

its not a popping sound.. apparently its an actual gunshot they used for the sudden opennings... it was on in the hanger during a weather hold recently.... everytime a chute openned someone cluched their chest and fell over.... soon everyone was on the floor.... ;)

its not a popping sound.. apparently its an actual gunshot they used for the sudden opennings... it was on in the hanger during a weather hold recently.... everytime a chute openned someone cluched their chest and fell over.... soon everyone was on the floor.... ;)

...and if the canopy did make that noise on opening, the sound would be out of synch to an observer ont he ground.

would it be possible that they were using some sort of small 'cap gun' type of device to make the sound on opening? they stuck flour or whatever in with the canopy to make the 'smoke' puff on opening, why not something to make a noise?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

what the hell are you talking about? my canopy makes that noise everytime. I don't even watch it anymore I listen for it to open!;)

anyway I also bought and watched fandango. that a pretty good movie, all around.
My photos

My Videos

anyway I also bought and watched fandango. that a pretty good movie, all around.

Drinking Shiner Bock, driving around Texas and skydiving. How else could a more perfect movie be made?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."